Air Power History Tour

1,075 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by p_bubel
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The CAF (I will forever refer to them as the Confederate Air Force, not the Commemorative Air Force) is bringing their B-29 Superfortress nicknamed "FiFi" to Aggieland, October 17. Also on the docket is a PT-13 Stearman, a T-6 Texan, and the smallest aircraft ever to serve as Air Force One, Ike's Bird. Rides can be booked.

Aggieland Air Power History Tour

They also will be in Fort Worth, Little Rock, Waco, Abilene, and Longview September - October.

https://www.airpowersquadron.org/

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
CAF originally based in Harlingen - my birthplace !
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

CAF originally based in Harlingen - my birthplace !
I had family that lived down there. Went down there several times up through 1992, when the last of them passed, and got to see the Confederate Air Force at Harlingen many times. Not born there myself, though.
Smeghead4761
Crud. I have to work that day, which means I won't be able to take my kids. (Since I work for UPD, me going over to Easterwood isn't an issue.)
TheFirebird
AG
I remember so many hot but exhilarating days on the tarmac at Valley International Airport in Harlingen for the CAF Airshow. Really a magical time and made me forever interested in aviation. I must have been about 10 when the CAF pulled up stakes and moved to Midland/Odessa, it broke my heart. They put on a fantastic Air Show with the old warbirds and usually got some amazingly cool modern technology as well. Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, etc. My all time favorite was when they somehow convinced the RAF (or maybe Royal Navy) to do a Harrier demonstration.

Also cool-- the valley was a wilder, woolier place back then where all the rules didn't apply, and I distinctly remember a few years of super-sonic demos. That finally stopped after too many broken window complaints from the neighbors.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

My all time favorite was when they somehow convinced the RAF (or maybe Royal Navy) to do a Harrier demonstration.
I was there for that. Maybe 1978? Unless they did this demo more than once. I remember being awestruck while also amazed at how loud the Harrier was.
TheFirebird
AG
They must have done it more than once I was not yet alive in 1978. This would have been late 80s.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Made the 7 hour drive to the Valley in the back of a pickup with a camper shell on it in the early 70's. They had lots of static planes there too. I remember walking around a C-124 Globemaster and in awe how freaking big it was. They also had the He-111,the Ju-52 along with the Battle of Britain 109's there too. Douglas Badar and Adolf Galland were special guest. Saw them sitting on the main review podium and my dad telling me who they were.
p_bubel
Wait, no ramp access?

So, no walking around the aircraft is permitted? Argh. I really wanted to see Fifi.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.