The Sound So Loud That It Circled the Earth Four Times

1,367 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ciboag96
Ciboag96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was heard in over 50 different locations around the globe.

Quote:

On 27 August 1883, the Earth let out a noise louder than any it has made since.

It was 10:02 a.m. local time when the sound emerged from the island of Krakatoa, which sits between Java and Sumatra in Indonesia. It was heard 1,300 miles away in the Andaman and Nicobar islands ("extraordinary sounds were heard, as of guns firing"); 2,000 miles away in New Guinea and Western Australia ("a series of loud reports, resembling those of artillery in a north-westerly direction"); and even 3,000 miles away in the Indian Ocean island of Rodrigues, near Mauritius* ("coming from the eastward, like the distant roar of heavy guns."1) In all, it was heard by people in over 50 different geographical locations, together spanning an area covering a thirteenth of the globe.

Quote:

The British ship Norham Castle was 40 miles from Krakatoa at the time of the explosion. The ship's captain wrote in his log, "So violent are the explosions that the ear-drums of over half my crew have been shattered. My last thoughts are with my dear wife. I am convinced that the Day of Judgement has come."2

Quote:

The Krakatoa explosion registered 172 decibels at 100 miles from the source. This is so astonishingly loud, that it's inching up against the limits of what we mean by "sound."
YZ250
Simon Winchester has a good book on Krakatoa. It wasn't the sound that circled the Earth but rather the pressure wave that circled several times.
Ciboag96
YZ250 said:

Simon Winchester has a good book on Krakatoa. It wasn't the sound that circled the Earth but rather the pressure wave that circled several times.

In the article. Sound covers a 13th of the earth but the pressure wave spike was measured 4 times each direction.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.