New History of Old Texas - Cabeza De Vaca

3,702 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've recommended this podcast before...it is great. The latest season (season 3) is about cabeza de vaca and I think it's the best yet. Texas, history, adventure...if you like any of the 3 you'll like the podcast. If you like all 3 you won't be able to stop.
dcbowers
AG
Link?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oldarmy76
https://www.brandonseale.com/
This is the guys website but it looks like he doesn't have the latest one on there. I just use the podcast app on my iPhone. You can search in the app for this podcast by name. I'm sure it's on other platforms as well.
BillYeoman
This is great!!!!
LeisureSuitLarry
https://www.amazon.com/Land-So-Strange-Journey-Cabeza-ebook/dp/B0097CWIMK/ref=pd_day0_351_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0097CWIMK&pd_rd_r=2e6edad1-8a0c-420a-8d8f-704a87e59273&pd_rd_w=WuXHj&pd_rd_wg=Lgiul&pf_rd_p=b9795e88-905f-4cdc-b130-212689894636&pf_rd_r=XW7KX4BBBAQXC39ZHX9G&psc=1&refRID=XW7KX4BBBAQXC39ZHX9G

One of my favorite books. Would make a great movie.
TheSheik
AG
Started listening this week based on your post

Really interesting, and well done podcast
Thanks for the suggestion

AW 1880
AG
I started listening form the beginning of Season 1 as well. I'm not sure if it was my football coach teacher in 7th grade, but it seems like I've learned more about Texas history in a few podcasts than I did that entire year.
90 bull
AG
Same for me. Listened to first 9 episodes of season one. Really worth it so far
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
90 bull said:

Same for me. Listened to first 9 episodes of season one. Really worth it so far

Same here. Very good. Why isn't this a movie? Incredible story
BillYeoman
Cabeza de Vaca series is complete. That was one of the best series I have ever heard. This story is incredible.
wingshoot93
AG
Thanks for recommending this episode.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Not that I would relish "walking in his shoes" but I would love to have seen Texas as he saw it.
Same for La Salle and Cordoba.
Mr. Frodo
AG
Bumping this one.
Man, what a great podcast! Thanks for the recco!
Started with the first one (SA) and now on the second one about Medina.
Looking forward to CDV.
I read the Joutel journal and then several of the Weddle books on La Salle. All fascinating.

Anyone know more about this Spanish fellow that lived with the east Texas indians and later was a chief. Then came back to San Antonio and commanded the garrison. This sort of became a family thing ... commanding the garrison. Mentioned many times in the new history of old san antonio podcast. Id like to learn more about that guy.

tmaggies
AG
On episode 15 and very much enjoying!
mrsbeer05
AG
Just added the whole series.
Mr. Frodo
AG

Ok... went back and listened and this is the guy.

Sounds like an accident lead to the stay-over instead of a master plan.

URRUTIA, JOS DE (ca. 16781741).Jos (Joseph, Josef) de Urrutia was born in Guipzcoa, Spain, about 1678. He came to America before 1691, when, as a member of the Domingo Tern de los Ros expedition, he was left at the garrison established near the Neches River. When the soldiers withdrew in 1693, Urrutia met with an accident on the Colorado River and was forced to remain among the Indians. He was one of four soldiers who remained in East Texas at this time. He lived with the Kanohatinos, Tohos, and Xarames for seven years, was made "captain general" of all the nations hostile to the Apaches, and conducted several extensive campaigns against the Apaches. He rejoined his countrymen shortly after the founding of San Juan Bautista Mission in 1700. By July 23, 1733, when Urrutia was made captain of San Antonio de Bxar Presidio, he had forty years' experience with the Indians in Coahuila, Nuevo Len, and Texas and was probably the best informed of all Spaniards on Indian affairs in Texas. In the winter of 1739 he led a campaign against the Apaches in the San Saba region; he apparently reached the same point that Juan Antonio Bustillo y Ceballos had reached in his Apache campaign of 1732. Urrutia's first wife was Antonia Ramn; they had one daughter, Antonia, who married Joseph Antonio Menchaca (also known as Franscisco Menchaca). Urrutia later married Rosa Flores y Valdez; they had four daughters and six sons, including Toribio de Urrutia, who succeeded him as captain of the Bexar presidio. Urrutia died on July 16, 1741.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I got about 3/4 through the podcast series, couldn't finish. Seems it could have been condensed to 6-8 episodes. Lots of repetition, speculation and tangents that interrupted the flow. Interesting topic though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.