Free to travel, reside, leave

1,591 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dds08
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was there ever a time after commercial airplane travel that one could freely go from one one country to another and reside there for a certain length of time, then pack up and leave without needing a passport or papers or any other silly documentation.
dallasiteinsa02
If this was on the politics board, the answer would be during the Obama administration.
dds08
AG
I really want to know because from a book of Genesis point of view, I believe God made humans to inhabit this earth and intentionally meant for all of us to traverse this world freely without rules or unnecessary paperwork. In a world without sin, I doubt North Koreans would mind visitors from the US. Same with Iranians or Iraqis.

There's a small island south of India where outsiders who try to visit are murdered!

In a world without sin all who have the means are free to visit anywhere, whenever, within reason.

JABQ04
AG
I'm no biblical scholar but if you're looking for context in Christianity then it should be the New Testament. Also supposed to obey the laws of men kind of thing.

Later on in the OT God was telling the Israelites, this is your land. Wipe out the people on it and inhabit it. Manifest Destiny?
dds08
AG
I'm talking about before mankind sinned.
JABQ04
AG
I mean it was only Adam and Eve. She ate the forbidden fruit and things have been going downhill ever since then. There was no need to leave the Garden of Eden until they got evicted from the big man.

Or after the original sin? We were pretty much screwed from the start.
HollywoodBQ
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

If this was on the politics board, the answer would be during the Obama administration.
Did laugh
HollywoodBQ
AG
I can only comment on International air travel since the 1970s.

In the 1970s, my family flew around to many islands in the Caribbean without passports. My father was a private pilot so I'm talking about doing this in a 4 seater Cessna. I have a copy of my birth certificate which has a stamp on it from traveling to Curacao.

Now, how long could you stay? Was this the same for citizens of all countries? I don't know.

By the mid 1970s, we went to Saudi Arabia for the first time and had to have Passports, Entry and Exit Visas.

During the 1970s, we traveled around Europe including train travel to West Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, etc. I distinctly remember the train stopping at the border between West Germany and France and the French border guards checking everybody's passports.

During the 1980s, we had to have passports, visas, etc. to travel abroad except for Mexico and Canada where you only needed a driver's license.

In most cases, as an American, you can usually get an "on-arrival" tourist visa which allows you to stay for up to 90 days or sometimes 180 days.

In the modern EU for example, you can travel between countries in the EU without getting your passport checked.

So, in 2017, I was able to fly into Frankfurt, Germany, rent a car and drive to Belgium and Luxembourg without being stopped.

In 2019, I returned to the EU and they of course checked my previous comings and goings from the EU. But, the passport officers in Madrid were not as meticulous as the officers in Frankfurt.
dds08
AG
Thank you. Thank you for this.
dds08
AG
JABQ04 said:

I mean it was only Adam and Eve. She ate the forbidden fruit and things have been going downhill ever since then. There was no need to leave the Garden of Eden until they got evicted from the big man.

Or after the original sin? We were pretty much screwed from the start.
No. Before the original sin. Before man sinned I believe God intended for man to be explorers of all lands of this world with no barriers to entry anywhere. Man would be free to walk all lands and traverse the seas and air as he pleases. If you find a place you want to settle and no one dwells there then go ahead a pitch a tent or whatever. When you're tired of that place, pick up your stuff and go elsewhere. All places are free to visit willy nilly.

If you want to be nomadic you can. If you want to be a settler you can.

Freedom!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.