The Underrated M1 Carbine

3,803 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UTExan
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?

The carbine was a marvel for its time: weighed about 5 + lbs yet its projectile still had more energy at 100 yards than a .357 magnum at the muzzle of a four inch barrel. It had some flaws and was never expected to replace a rifle; the issued lubricant was problematic in very cold weather and was best in its semi-auto role. And more were produced than any other US small arm during WW2. And its recoil spring was not optimum. Yet, it was eagerly sought as a personal weapon.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BQ_90
AG
I remember as a kid, on my dads dear lease, there was Korean War vet that only hunted with a carbine. It stuck out because he was the only one not hunting with a scoped rifle. Yet he seemed to never miss if he shot.
JABQ04
AG
Are you a mind reader OP? I'm looking into purchasing one now.
UTExan
JABQ04 said:

Are you a mind reader OP? I'm looking into purchasing one now.
Per the experience of many, you might try for a genuine wartime GI model instead of the civilian production models today. Recoil spring replacement would also be a good idea. See Wolff Springs for a replacement.

Good luck!
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
The_Waco_Kid
AG
The wartime models are generally less expensive and better quality than new manufacture. There might still be some left through the CMP, otherwise look into blue sky imports - those would be Korean War reimports.
Corporal Punishment
AG
I inherited a 1943 model. Love hunting hogs in the Brazos Valley with mine. Last I heard CMP no longer had any. If that's changed, I need to buy another one.
The_Waco_Kid
AG
The CMP only offers M1 carbines through their auction site, here [html] https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/ [/html]. There's also M1917 Enfields, 1903a3s, and some 1903s. Currently, the CMP can sell through any .30 or .22lr rifle or pistol considered obsolete by military standards, or any drill rifle returned for decommissioning.
UTExan
Deutscher_Aggie1 said:

The CMP only offers M1 carbines through their auction site, here [html] https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/ [/html]. There's also M1917 Enfields, 1903a3s, and some 1903s. Currently, the CMP can sell through any .30 or .22lr rifle or pistol considered obsolete by military standards, or any drill rifle returned for decommissioning.

Sadly, none seem to be available on that CMP site.
Smeghead4761
UTExan said:

Deutscher_Aggie1 said:

Sadly, none seem to be available on that CMP site.
The U.S. military turned over their last rifles and carbines long ago. There was a big deal recently when the .mil's stockpile of M1911A1s was turned over to the CMP.

The last M1 carbines I know of for sure that CMP sold were Italian Lend-Lease returns (I bought 2.) That was roughly 10 years ago. There may have been some Korean ones after that, but I'm not sure.

Even someone were to invent a new kind of rifle that made the current generation (M16/M4) obsolete, the CMP wouldn't be able to sell those unless the Hughes Amendment was repealed, because they're legally machine guns. (And since the M4 in current use is almost identical to grandpa's Vietnam vintage M16A1, at least from a mechanical stand point, even those 50+ year old M16s can't be called obsolete, anyway.)
UTExan
The Israelis still like them because for urban/police/security use they are optimal weapons. They don't overpenetrate yet still have sufficient power to take down an armed opponent. Chances are the Israelis picked up a lot of them back in the day when available for super cheap on the international market.
BQ_90
AG
Bump

They are excellent Weapon for self defense

Smeghead4761
Roof Koreans could really be their own thread.
Smeghead4761
Roof Koreans could really be their own thread.
Latrobe
AG
My dad '68, passed his on to me before he died. I love shooting that gun. Brings back many childhood memories.

I actually came across the original receipt from when he bought the rifle. He purchased it from the base exchange where he was stationed. I think it was $20. Unreal
Madman
AG
aalan94
AG
I have one and it is one of the best guns I own.

Edit: Madman, that's a great video. I notice he mistakenly fired on the front sight protector not the post. This is easy to do if you have not shot the weapon a lot.
Smokedraw01
I killed my first few deer with a carbine. We never got it to be pinpoint accurate but it was good enough.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Great for hog slaying in the Brazos Valley. Light enough to carry through thick woods and plenty powerful to knock down your typical 60-80 pound pig. My favorite firearm.
UTExan
And a great WW2 training film on the operation of the M1 series carbine:
30wedge
I have always liked how they look and sure would like to buy one. My dad shot a BAR in the Pacific so won't buying one but would love to shoot one. I have a friend who bought an M 1 carbine many years ago for little or nothing. Still jealous!
Change Detection
AG
I have two, one completely original with a bayonet. The other with a different hand-carved stock. Both from my dad who had them in Thailand and Vietnam. One was made by General Motors, the other I have forgotten. Lots of fun to shoot. I just found a box of magazines in the original wax wrapping under my mom's bed. Love those guns.
Smeghead4761
I actually just picked up a case of SP rounds for my M1 carbines. The prices on .30 carbine have gone up a little, but you can still get it for reasonable cost, unlike 9mm, 45 ACP, 12ga, or .223 right now.
Smokedraw01
Who here has seen this movie?

UTExan
Smokedraw01 said:

Who here has seen this movie?

I have. Williams was apparently quite good at designing and gas systems, but the Forgotten Weapons videos explain that other folks were actually the creators. The Army wanted a light rifle and the .32 Winchester SL was what they used as their initial concept cartridge. The carbine was very popular with law enforcement back in the 1950s into the late 70s because it was so light and powerful when their relatively puny .38 caliber issued revolvers couldn't do the job. NYPD's Stakeout Squad used it and Israeli police/security use it to this day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.