Historically your least fav American

12,104 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by who?mikejones
Spore Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious what most feel or disagree with the historical actions of some Americans. We all have political disagreements but some actions may rub some more than others. Examples like George Custer, Phil Sheridan, Truman or the Rosenbergs?
oldvalleyrat
AG
Jimmy Carter!
All organizations are perfectly aligned for the results they get.
IDAGG
AG
1) LBJ
2) Eugene Debs
ABATTBQ87
AG
Colonel James Fannin
CanyonAg77
AG
The temptation is to name recent Presidents, and LBJ is certainly a strong contender. One could also name presidential assassins, as they upset the will of the people and the arc of history. FDR, for increasing the power of the federal government.

Off the top of my head, Woodrow Wilson. Reversed the integration of the civil service, oversaw direct election of senators, instigated the income tax, etc. etc.

Basically, the power and overreach of the federal government started with him.
JABQ04
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Colonel James Fannin

I'm curious as to why him?
BQ78
AG
Boy this one could be all over the place but for sheer evil it's hard to beat Ted Bundy, followed closely by Carole "F***ing" Baskin.
AgBQ-00
AG
Woodrow Wilson and LBJ...

Wilson for the stuff mentioned above...set the stage for all the BS now.
LBJ for sticking to and expanding Vietnam to save face. He sacrificed 10's of thousands of lives for hubris and power. He also set up the welfare state which is the root of a lot of ills today as well. Sickening individual.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Colonel James Fannin

My guess is for his ineptitude and utter military failure.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Dean Corll. Infamous Houston area serial killer. Killed two of my childhood friends.
Dooski
AG
I just read about Dean Corll. Absolutely horrific.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Adam Schiff for obvious reasons !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Post removed:
by user
CanyonAg77
AG
Anthony Johnson, a black man. The John Casor case.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

JABQ04 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Colonel James Fannin
My guess is for his ineptitude and utter military failure.
correct
Smokedraw01
James Bowie
30wedge
W. T. Sherman when it comes to nonpoliticians. As far as politicians, I pretty much hate all democrat leaders.
CanyonAg77
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

James Bowie
Interesting.....because?
JABQ04
AG
Benedict Arnold
Smokedraw01
CanyonAg77 said:

Smokedraw01 said:

James Bowie
Interesting.....because?

The guy was a scum bag. Illegal importation of slaves, fraudulent land claims, stirred **** up that led to his infamous duel, and then ran to Texas because he was going to be jailed for the land claim stuff.
who?mikejones
AG
Sounds like a texian pioneer
Bighunter43
AG
Some of my favorite Texas History stories involved Bowie: his search for the lost San Saba (Almagres) Mine, the fight against Indians in McCullough County, his fight against Indians on the dry Frio near Concan (my dad and I used to deer hunt the land where it happened and "found" what we believed was the circle of rocks Bowie's men used to protect themselves...the sight was kind of already marked by tu archeological students, but we felt they weren't in the exact spot).the Grass Fight and of course The Alamo. Duels tend to have 2 sides, and he must have had some admirable qualities for men to follow him into the Alamo. The guy gave his life for Texas (of course he really couldn't go anywhere else at the time)....kind of strange to view him as a least favorite American type of guy.....but to each his own!
CanyonAg77
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Smokedraw01 said:

James Bowie
Interesting.....because?

The guy was a scum bag. Illegal importation of slaves, fraudulent land claims, stirred **** up that led to his infamous duel, and then ran to Texas because he was going to be jailed for the land claim stuff.

Okay, he was a lousy guy. But if all you're going for is lousy, there are a few hundred thousand serial killers, rapists, etc. to put in front of him.

I took the OP to mean an American who negatively effected history.

Bowie is more like "Name a well known historical figure who is a terrible person."

That would be a pretty long thread, too.
RGV AG
AG
LBJ, hands down. Totally a lasting negative impact on the US.
Ulrich
I get the argument for Wilson, but I've always thought of him as being idealistic and naive rather than malicious (see also: Carter). FDR was desperate and flailing, but again probably trying to do the right thing. So I consider them among our worst presidents, but I don't hate them.

LBJ, on the other hand... he wasn't much better than a thug, and I believe that everything he did was for selfish reasons. So many of the things he did had awful consequences.
Smokedraw01
Bighunter43 said:

Some of my favorite Texas History stories involved Bowie: his search for the lost San Saba (Almagres) Mine, the fight against Indians in McCullough County, his fight against Indians on the dry Frio near Concan (my dad and I used to deer hunt the land where it happened and "found" what we believed was the circle of rocks Bowie's men used to protect themselves...the sight was kind of already marked by tu archeological students, but we felt they weren't in the exact spot).the Grass Fight and of course The Alamo. Duels tend to have 2 sides, and he must have had some admirable qualities for men to follow him into the Alamo. The guy gave his life for Texas (of course he really couldn't go anywhere else at the time)....kind of strange to view him as a least favorite American type of guy.....but to each his own!

He was definitely active but the stuff he and his brothers pulled in Louisiana was pretty despicable. Maybe that changed when he got to Texas or maybe he just hadn't had enough time to let his true colors shine through.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
William Barret Travis was a pretty sorry individual as well. Doesn't change the fact that he died for Texas. I would say most of Texas' famous historical figures were rogues. Sam Houston included.
Smeghead4761
I'm going to have to agree with Wilson.

As stated earlier, he was a straight up racist - not only did he re-segregate the federal civil service, but the early 20th century revivial of the Klan started during his Presidency.

The direct election of Senators, the income tax, and the Federal Reserve all came into being on Wilson's watch. Wilson also gave impetus to the whole 'moral equivalent of war' BS that progressives/liberals big government types have been so fond of ever since - they liked being able to comandeer large chunks of society for their purposes, just didn't like the actual war part. So we've had things like the War on Poverty and the War on Drugs. Funny how we never seen to win those.

Wilson also effectively suspended parts of the First Amendment during WWI through the Espionage Act and Sedition Act, the latter of which effectively made any criticism of the government's war effort a federal crime.

Finally, and something that folks should be able to appreciate today, Wilson played the part of the Chinese Communist Party in the spread of what became known to history as the Spanish Flu by continuing to ship thousands of American troops to France, despite the epidemic sweeping through stateside Army camps. Wilson is the reason it's called the Spanish Flu and not the Kansas Flu.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Gotta agree on LBJ and Wilson.

And yikes on that Corll story. I was 5-7 in the time that was going on, living in Sharpstown, and have vague memories of that but had never read anything about the awful details. That one as well as Ronald O-Bryan, the Pixy Stix murderer of his own kid in Pasadena.
Smokedraw01
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

William Barret Travis was a pretty sorry individual as well. Doesn't change the fact that he died for Texas. I would say most of Texas' famous historical figures were rogues. Sam Houston included.

To some extent yes but Bowie was a thief and slave trader(illegally mind you). Even in his own time he was despised.
cavscout96
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

The temptation is to name recent Presidents, and LBJ is certainly a strong contender. One could also name presidential assassins, as they upset the will of the people and the arc of history. FDR, for increasing the power of the federal government.

Off the top of my head, Woodrow Wilson. Reversed the integration of the civil service, oversaw direct election of senators, instigated the income tax, etc. etc.

Basically, the power and overreach of the federal government started with him.
Wilson was the first name that came to mind, followed immediately by FDR.
Old RV Ag
AG
Ken Starr
Mule_lx
AG
I had never heard of this. Horrific.
Pelayo
AG
Rosenbergs

M. Sanger
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JTA1029
AG
SeaHoss said:

Dean Corll. Infamous Houston area serial killer. Killed two of my childhood friends.

Had never heard of him. Just read his wiki. How horrible.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.