Greyhound.....

2,643 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CT'97
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Greyhound

Okay, I am official stoked for this one.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I posted this on the entertainment board, and was pretty much immediately told that movies like this should not be made because CGI.

I am also looking forward to this.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I posted this on the entertainment board, and was pretty much immediately told that movies like this should not be made because CGI.

Well not many WWII cargo vessels, DD's, DDEs' and U-boats running around the Atlantic these days....In this case, CGI is infinitely better than what can be made with actual ships...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Well not many WWII cargo vessels, DD's, DDEs' and U-boats running around the Atlantic these days....In this case, CGI is infinitely better than what can be made with actual ships...
Agreed.
WestAustinAg
AG
Elizabeth Shue!
ABATTBQ87
AG
I count 1 Saving Private Ryan castmember and 1 Band of Brothers Cast member in that trailer.

And the steel pot that read CAPT is ironic (Capt Miller)
Cen-Tex
AG
Saw the trailer. Scary U boat. Predictable outcome? Opens June 12th
JABQ04
AG
Stephen Graham is an underrated actor imho. I wish he had more screen time in BoB as SGT/PVT Ranney
Mort Rainey
"Inspired by True Events" aka total bull**** that didn't actually happen...
BQ78
AG
I thought this thread was about the M-8.

Fun fact: Take the turret off an M-8 and it becomes an M-20, it's true look it up!
CT'97
AG
Mabel Choate said:

I find this a curious statement. Do you not find any value in historical fiction at all?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CT'97 said:

Mabel Choate said:

I find this a curious statement. Do you not find any value in historical fiction at all?

Inspired by true events could very well mean German U-Boats tracked and sank US shipping across the Atlantic Ocean during WWII (true), and not the story of an obviously older than he should have been captain making his first journey through the Wolf Pack.
CT'97
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

CT'97 said:

Mabel Choate said:

Inspired by true events could very well mean German U-Boats tracked and sank US shipping across the Atlantic Ocean during WWII (true), and not the story of an obviously older than he should have been captain making his first journey through the Wolf Pack.
There were a lot of officers who were in that situation. Career officers in the navy prior to the war assessed at a very slow rate. Many would end their careers at 20 years as a Lt CDR or CDR and have to revert to a lower rank for retirement. But I know that's not what you are talking about, Hanks playing a man 20 years his younger, of all the things that will get in the way of reality on this film I doubt that will be one.

Now if you want to talk about real things that are wrong, in the scene where he's talking to the flight cover that's leaving them, he's not talking into a radio hand set. That's a sound powered phone used for internal ship board communications. You couldn't even hook that hand set up to a radio if you wanted to.
DogCo84
AG
Then there's the issue of them portraying a Fletcher class DD in the North Atlantic in 1942. Shouldn't it be a WW1 vintage "four-piper", or flush-deck DD?
CT'97
AG
DogCo84 said:

Then there's the issue of them portraying a Fletcher class DD in the North Atlantic in 1942. Shouldn't it be a WW1 vintage "four-piper", or flush-deck DD?

In the book the destroyer was a Mahan class, that would have been period correct. They were all built in the kid 30s. There aren't any of those left so they used the USS Kidd, a Fletcher class destroyer to film on. The outward differences were minimal between the two unless you know what you are looking at.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.