I just... well... (Hot Alamo Take)

4,708 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ciboag96
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Remember the Alamo for What it Really Represents

Quote:

In popular culture, the Alamo, a Spanish mission in San Antonio, is regarded as an untrammeled symbol of freedom. Referred to as the "cradle of Texas liberty," in Texas, devotion to it is fervent. Its name is invoked incessantly: San Antonio is referred to as "the Alamo City" and corporations appropriate the Alamo name and image.

The "defenders of the Alamo," the men who died there at the hands of the Mexican army in 1836, are regarded as heroic martyrs who valued liberty more than life, and who paid the supreme price on behalf of Texas. They were quickly compared to the 300 Spartans, whose self-sacrifice allegedly saved Greece by slowing the advance of a mighty Persian army. But their alleged martial prowess (most of them did not have much training as soldiers) and the military significance of the 1836 battle (which was virtually nil) were wildly exaggerated.

They did not venture to the Alamo for the purpose of dying there, they were willing to surrender, and they did not fight to the death in a fabled "last stand." Their mixed motives for fighting against Mexico were suppressed, hidden under the fig leaf of liberty. In the process, the primary reasons for the revolt against Mexico in 1835-36 and the Mexican-American War in 1846-48 have been obscured, as has the overriding significance of the Alamo as a symbol.

The March 6, 1836 Battle of the Alamo likely lasted less than an hour. It would have been even shorter had general Santa Anna waited for the arrival of his largest artillery pieces. It was actually the second battle of the Alamo, since the makeshift fortress had to be captured by the Texans before it could be "defended" by them. In December of 1835, a force composed of rebels, insurgent squatters, and mercenaries from the U.S. took San Antonio and the Alamo. Texas independence was not declared until March 2, 1836, a fact unknown to either side at the Alamo on March 6. Thus the Alamo "defenders" in the 1836 battle could only claim possession of it for less than three months and only in an unofficial capacity.

Santa Anna executed the few combatants that surrendered inside the Alamo. It is less frequently admitted that a substantial portion of Alamo "defenders" escaped outside the mission's walls. Santa Anna had them killed as well. Under the Tornel Decree of 1835, armed insurgents who were not part of a declared war between nations were regarded as pirates (they would be terrorists in contemporary parlance). Mexican historian Josefina Zoraida Vzquez terms the decree "a desperate attempt to maintain control" of Mexico's territory.

How did this situation arise? Historian Andrew J. Torget has demonstrated that the dramatic expansion of cotton production in the Southeastern U.S. caused enormous demand for draft animals. Native American tribes met this demand by looting Spanish and (after independence in 1821) Mexican horses and mules, which they exchanged with traders for advanced rifles. With this advanced weaponry, the Comanches in particular imperiled Spanish/Mexican settlements in what is now Texas. Thus the effects of slavery in the U.S. indirectly destabilized Spain's and Mexico's fragile foothold on this territory, creating the opportunity for Anglo-American colonization on very generous terms.

Steven F. Austin, the most important impresario (land agent), chose the finest land in what is now Southeastern Texas and modeled his settlements on Southern slave states. He incentivized slavery by making additional land available for each enslaved person that was brought into Texas. Mexico provided little oversight, though tensions soon developed over the issue of slavery. Mexico imposed several measures to end or limit slavery, and the Anglo-American colonists skillfully found ways to amend, delay, or defy them.

But no one doubted that slavery was a temporary expedient that Mexico would abolish unequivocally. Alarmed by the volume of Anglo-American immigration, Mexico attempted to end it in 1830. But by 1834, that number had doubled from 10,000 to 21,000. Unauthorized immigrants, some of them in the form of organized militias recruited within slave states in blatant violation of the Neutrality Act, played a significant role in the revolt that broke out in 1835. Without the New Orleans Greys, who clamored for battle, San Antonio and the Alamo might not have fallen in late 1835.

The the conjunction of slavery interests in the U.S., or "slavocracy," which included the brilliant and devious President Andrew Jackson, agitated incessantly though sometimes surreptitiously for the spread of slavery. Slavery interests openly though often unofficially, to avoid violating treaties that could bring European intervention supported the "independence" of Texas. The slavocracy funded and equipped an invading army, hoping to ultimately create one or more slave states out of Mexican territory. The men who fought against Mexico were promised free land. Most of the combatants were relatively recent arrivals, as were most of the delegates to the convention where independence was declared on March 2, 1836.

Speculation in Mexican land had become rampant, and it was not confined to the Southern U.S. But the scripts they traded only had value if the land could be wrenched from Mexico with finality. Cotton was booming. Slavery enabled enormous profits. Most of the official Anglo-American colonists and the undocumented immigrants came from the Southern U.S. They were comfortable with and often passionately dedicated to the white supremacist ideology that prevailed in slave states. A Texan's letter printed in the New Orleans Bee in 1834 decried "degraded" Mexicans as products of racial pollution: "the unfortunate race of Spaniard, Indian and African, is so blended that the worst qualities of each predominate."

All of the combatants inside the Alamo during the 1836 battle knew that they were fighting for the institution of slavery, as surely as they knew they were fighting for Mexican land. James Bowie, a slave trader and smuggler who William C. Davis says was "easily the largest land swindler of his era," had arrived in Texas in 1830 with 109 enslaved people. Bowie married well and quickly amassed claims on enormous amounts of Mexican land. His desire to keep Texan forces in San Antonio prevailed, though it was distant from the precious East Texas cotton fields, and of much less strategic value than other garrisons. General Sam Houston thought the Alamo should have been blown up and abandoned. Not surprisingly, the Alamo garrison received few reinforcements or supplies from their rebel compatriots.

After his victory at the Alamo, Santa Anna foolishly separated himself from his more capable generals and the forces under his command were trapped and routed at San Jacinto on April 21, 1836. Santa Anna's capture put an end to fighting, inaugurating the slavery-based Republic of Texas, which Torget calls a "dress-rehearsal" for the Confederate States of America.

Benjamin F. Lundy, a Quaker abolitionist who hoped to establish a colony of free Blacks, warned in 1836 that a Texan victory would lead to annexation and succession, because the slave states would "confederate a new and distinct slaveholding republic, in opposition to the whole free republic of the North." He prophesied a sanguinary toll: "blood will flow in torrents," drenching the land in "crimson gore." The 1845 annexation of Texas sparked the Mexican-American War, engineered by President James K. Polk, who was Jackson's protg. It resulted in the seizure of half of Mexico. The manner of the Texas annexation (without fixed boundaries, in order to provoke a larger war of conquest) and disagreements over where slavery would spread in new territories were important causes of the U.S. Civil War.

Before he learned of the victory at San Jacinto, Stephen F. Austin, in a May 4, 1836 letter to Senator L. F. Linn of Missouri, described the war as one "waged by the mongrel Spanish-Indian and Negro race, against civilization and the Anglo-American race." Austin says he labored "like a slave to Americanize Texas" to fashion "a barrier of safety to the southwestern frontier."

The Texan soldiers who were killed at the Alamo in 1836 were aggrandized in a hagiographic manner more appropriate to a state religion than a state history. This type of memorialization celebrated racial superiority and contributed to the development of a racialized Anglo-Saxonism that prized dominance. The term Manifest Destiny originated in a discussion of the 1845 annexation of Texas, though Jeff Long calls the March 6, 1836 battle at the Alamo its "inaugural moment."

"Remember the Alamo" was a call for vengeance against Mexicans that was used as a rallying cry at San Jacinto and during the Mexican-American War. James E. Crisp points out that the Alamo "became a hammer for bashing Mexican Americans in Texas." It is still the preeminent anti-Mexican symbol and slogan (both in and out of Texas), which is presumably why President Donald Trump mentioned the "last stand" at "the beautiful, beautiful Alamo" in his recent State of the Union address.

During the Civil War, the Alamo church actually housed slave auctions. The second president of the Republic of Texas, Mirabeau B. Lamar, tried to kill or expel all Native Americans. Alamo lore served to define Mexicans and their descendants as enemies of the state. Thus, if one insists on calling the Alamo a symbol of liberty, I would say it best represents the liberty of whites to enslave, kill, expel, segregate, oppress, and otherwise dominate people of color. The Alamo is the cradle of Texas slavery, and a host of other oppressions.

This commentary derives from research conducted for The Other Side of the Alamo: Art Against the Myth, an exhibition at the Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center for San Antonio's Tricentennial in 2018, which was funded by the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts.
Rivard

What fresh hell is this ***** Now slavery is responsible for the Comanche and Apache raids?

I'd love to see an actual number of actual slave holders at the Alamo. I'm guessing it's very, very few.

What about the other Mexican states that were in open revolt around the same time?

It's just one ****ing mess after another. Is this what happens when you no longer teach history?
who?mikejones
AG
tmaggies
AG
Go away......
JABQ04
AG
JFC.......
CanyonAg77
AG
Who peed in that guy's nachos?
p_bubel
What's with this seemingly recent concerted effort to deligitimize US history?
JABQ04
AG
p_bubel said:

What's with this seemingly recent concerted effort to deligitimize US history?

It's the cool thing to do now. You have to villainize everything/everybody.
TXAG 05
AG
Had a feeling that's what it would be about. They have been trying to paint the defenders, as well as all the Texians as evil, slave holding white guys who murdered Mexicans and stole their land. It's sick.
AgBQ-00
AG
They have to try and destroy the history so people will not value and stand and defend their traditions and rights. If everything was started illegitimately then it must be torn down. It must be in a revolutionary playbook.
BQ78
AG
All credence as a historian lost with:

Quote:

Steven F. Austin
Apache
AG
Quote:

This type of memorialization celebrated racial superiority and contributed to the development of a racialized Anglo-Saxonism that prized dominance.

Hard to believe these racists changed the name of Walnut Springs to Seguin, isn't it?
MGS
So if it wasn't for slavery in the U.S. South, the Comanche would have been a bunch a pacifists living in harmony with the Mexicans?
WorkerBee
The battle at the Alamo was not in vain and far from nil in regards to military significance. It is the modern day equivalent of the ultimate bulletin board material.

Regardless imagine what Texas, Cali and the rest of the Southwest would like like today if Mexico was still in charge... a **** hole plain and simple.

Texas is great!
USA is Great!
Mexico a **** hole!
Cen-Tex
AG
Quote:

All of the combatants inside the Alamo during the 1836 battle knew that they were fighting for the institution of slavery, as surely as they knew they were fighting for Mexican land.
Its safe to assume the author has an agenda and conveniently overlooked that the 7-8 Tejanos and the other brave men on 6 March were fighting for one thing...Texas independence.

It's best to listen to the words of some of the men that were actually at the Alamo.

Excerpts from their letters-

"...I have become one of the most thorough going men you ever heard of. I go the whole Hog in the cause of Texas. I expect to help them gain their independence and also to form their civil government, for it is worth risking many lives for..." Micajah Autry (Alamo defender) to his wife, Martha, January 13, 1836.

"...Let the Convention go on and make a declaration of independence , and we will then understand, and the world will understand, what we are fighting for. If independence is not declared, I shall lay down my arms , and so will the men under my command. But under the flag of independence, we are ready to peril our lives a hundred times a day, and to drive away the monster who is fighting us under a blood-red flag, threatening to murder all prisoners and make Texas a waste desert...If my countrymen do no rally to my relief, I am determined to perish in the defense of this place, and my bones shall reproach my country for her neglect" W.B. Travis (Alamo defender), Commander of the Alamo, to Jesse Grimes, from Bxar, March 3, 1836.

"...I would have written more but the Carrier waits The whole army is delighted with Houston who met the shock of disorganizers at La Bahia, with firmness and success. Adieu. Every man here is for independence... " Joseph M. Hawkins (Alamo defender) to J.W. Robinson, from Bxar as a post script January 24, 1836.

"...The Colo (Neill) and myself has twice called a general parade and addressed them (the defenders) in such a manner that they would get satisfied for a while, but we are now discouraged ourselves, unless the provisional government of Texas do speedily send us assistance we will abandon the place, we have sent and made known our situation to them, and as the safety of Texas depends mostly on keeping this place they certainly will as soon as possible do some thing for us especially when we expect to declare independence as soon as the convention meets." W.R. Carey (Alamo defender) to his brother and sister, January 12, 1836.

These, as well as other letters of defenders expressing the sentiments of independence can be found here - http://www.texianlegacy.com/1824_2.html
GSPag`
Apache said:

Quote:

This type of memorialization celebrated racial superiority and contributed to the development of a racialized Anglo-Saxonism that prized dominance.

Hard to believe these racists changed the name of Walnut Springs to Seguin, isn't it?
I was thinking the exact same thing.
terata
AG
Mexico was/is a **** hole!

FIFY....and you are correct, sir.
Liquid Wrench
What is the Rivard Report? I know Rick Casey writes for that now. Is it like a website version of Pacifica radio?
p_bubel
It's a San Antonio centric website run by an old editor of the Express News. Pretty well respected here in town and not a crank.

It was always left leaning, but they've gone off the deep end as of late.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3114553
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
p_bubel
Pretty much what you can expect these days.
Cowboy bob
Likely part of the 1619 project. For those who don't know, the 1619 project is a NYT promoted effort to change history in a very anti-American way.
Ciboag96
Cowboy bob said:

Likely part of the 1619 project. For those who don't know, the 1619 project is a NYT promoted effort to change history in a very anti-American way.

So, coming to a public school near you?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.