Cold War and living under nuclear imminence

3,701 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Old RV Ag
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been thinking a lot since listening to Blueprint to Armegeddon about what will be the next transition and what will usher in the next huge change in our global understanding of things. My hope is that it is not a huge leap backwards like after Rome fell. But it led me to thinking about nuclear threat. I can remember just a couple of times as a 1st or 2nd grader doing the duck and cover drills in schools. It is bone chilling to think how close we came several times to nuclear arms being used en masse.

I have a couple questions for discussion...
What are your cold war memories?
What do you see as the next global transition like happened from 19th century to 20th century?
ArgyleAg
AG
Cold War memories:
2nd & 3rd grade ('55 and '56) drills at school where we got under our desks or moved out into the hallway.
Constant drumbeat on TV and in printed media about the soviets doing this or that, all of which sounded (and were) ominous. I always had a feeling that the USSR was way ahead of us in all defense facets. Strong feeling of patriotism with USA always good and USSR always bad.
U2/Francis Gary Powers shoot down
Bay of Pigs humiliation
Vietnam with all its drama and loss.
Cuban Missile Crisis: we lived in Arlington and my dad worked for a defense contractor so he had some insights into the situation. Very scary time. We stocked a hallway closet with food and water.
Kennedy's assassination - end of innocence.
Olympics: dominance by eastern block and Russian athletes on steroids
This is what comes to mind.
Gig'em, Co.D2, Class'70
Corporal Punishment
AG
So many memories...

1980 Miracle on Ice
Ducking under desks or moving into the hallways And sitting Injun style with heads down for "other type emergencies" in the late 1970s
Reykjavik Summit
Olympic boycott when the Soviets invaded Afghanistan
Brezhnev, Chernenko, and Andropov all dying in a span of about five minutes
Lech Walesa in the news every damn day

More than anything...
News reports showing Russian babushkas shopping in stores with empty shelves (that made me sad)

And finally...
That cheesy made for TV movie called WWIII with Rock Hudson as President and Brian Keith as the Soviet Premier
JR_83
Cuban Missile Crisis - dad said it looked like we might have to move to somewhere south of San Antonio - which was supposed to be one of the safest places to be during an all-out nuclear exchange.
BQ78
AG
Cuban Missile Crisis - real scare that within days a nuclear exchange could occur.

26 Sep 1983- on alert and decoded a "real" message that said taxi with a nuke loaded B-52 and prepare to launch. May have been closer to nuclear war that day than any day in October 1962.
Waltonloads08
AG
BQ78 said:

Cuban Missile Crisis - real scare that within days a nuclear exchange could occur.

26 Sep 1983- on alert and decoded a "real" message that said taxi with a nuke loaded B-52 and prepare to launch. May have been closer to nuclear war that day than any day in October 1962.

Tell us more details?
Bregxit
AG
BQ78 said:

Thank goodness Petrov kept a cool head and didn't launch based on the Soviet early warning false alarms on that day in 83.
BQ78
AG
Soviets crappy EW system busted thinking we had launched an all out attack on the USSR. The Soviet protocol was to launch all too but fortunately a lowly lieutenant colonel in charge didn't believe it and wouldn't allow a retaliatory strike. At first he was praised but soon after reprimanded for hesitating. Three weeks later the the KAL 007 incident occurred, making me think that guy didn't want to get in trouble like the LC in this incident.

I still don't know why we knew they were contemplating the strike. But we got a klaxon and went to our aircraft SAC wide. On my crew I had decode duties as the Radar Nav and when I told them what we had, everyone on the crew simultaneously said, "What!" My pilot hesitated and didn't want to be the first to roll but within 30 seconds another aircraft was rolling and he said, "We're off."

At my base we had eight bombers and six tankers butts to nuts ready to go, for about 20 minutes until we got a message to return to the Christmas Tree where the alert aircraft sat.

The History Channel when it was good had a pretty good episode about this on one of their regular shows.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Dayum! Thanks for sharing!
BQ78
AG
I had one more incident that was real but it was a "Report to the Aircraft do not start engines" that was in about 1981 and was caused by an unannounced Soviet missile test. Evidently we had an agreement with the Soviets to tell each other when there was going to be a missile test and they "failed" to notify us about that test.

Not necessarily Cold War related but I was on friggin alert just about every time something happened:

Iran Embassy seized
Desert 1
Grenada Invasion
Reagan Inaugural/Iran hostages freed
TV Movie "The Day After" (about a nuclear war)
Christmas 1982
Start of the Falkland War (wound up in Britain before that was over picking up NATO slack for the Vulcans sent to the Southern Hemisphere)

I'm missing others no doubt, probably why I didn't make a career of it because alert sucked.
IDAGG
AG
This is one of my favorite Cold War stories. From Air and Space magazine 1993 from their series of stories remembering the Cold War.:

https://www.airspacemag.com/airspacemag/open-gate-180963869/
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Memories of the useless duck-and-cover, even into the 70s.

Being a Texan, I don't think at age 13 I fully understood hockey, but I damn sure understood what it meant with the US beating the Russians in hockey in the Olympics in 1980.

In the early 80s, I watched a show on HBO about Nostradomus which talked about his "predictions" of Napolean, Hitler, and a man in a [color, blue or red, I don't recall] turban launching nuclear missiles at America. That last was predicted to occur in the mid-1990s. Memories of that show remained with me throughout my years at A&M in the late 80s and into the 90s, but by the time 1997 rolled around, I had forgotten it until a conversation at lunch with co-workers brought up the subject of Nostradomus, and I remembered that show, and I laughed at his so-called prediction.

The TV movie "The Day After" scared the crap out of me. Coupled with the Soviet Union being known as the bad guy in many movies of the time, notably 007 movies, and the real-world invasion of Afghanistan, and with knowledge of the Cuban Missile Crisis (pre-dates me), I recall a feeling of inevitability of what would be a cataclysmic war. I didn't really let the fear of that run my life, as there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Still, it was in the back of my mind at times.

The shoot-down of KAL 007 in 1983 was a big topic of conversation in my government class that year.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
This was discussed on the Forum 16, but Bill Whittle is doing an excellent podcast on the Cold War. It's called The Cold War: What We Saw".
This part of our history always fascinated me and I'm glad I got to experience some of it growing up in the late 70's and 80's.
There is one episode about nuclear subs and the US attempt to retrieve a lost Soviet sub (K-129, maybe?) and how the Hughes Glomar Explorer was this elaborate CIA project that used Hughes as a front to recover the sub.
I also thought the episode on Vietnam was interesting. I had been aware that Vietnam was a terribly mismanaged war, but never took the understand the background.
The small factoids and information that he presents leaves me with a feeling of Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" stories.
Apache
AG
When Red Dawn came out in '84, all my elementary friends & I wanted to be exactly like the Wolverines. Except we would win because we were Texans and thus awesome.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Growing up in Fort Worth in the '70s and I remember the B52's leaving Carswell every day on their trips, knowing that we lived close to a SAC base that probably meant that we were going to be a priority target to the Russians (Bell Helicopter, General Dynamics)
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Air Force 54-56 !2thAF HQ Ramstein, Germany - Some idiot got the bright idea to creosote all sidewalks

so if we were attacked our base would be hard to spot from the air .

HQ was a 4 story building in a forest - real hard to spot.

Bad thing was we had to walk on those sidewalks getting that sticky creosote on our shoes

- hard to get off.

On leave in Berlin we went to East Berlin before the Wall went up and visited the Soviet

Memorial - huge impressive statues - one Soviet officer and his wife there.

One month later a US Lt. was grabbed there and held for 6 months for some reason - then let go.

My escape story from the cold war !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
oldarmy76
This is such a good podcast. Have a couple people at the office listening to it.
Larry S Ross
AG
All of the above would be on my list of what I remember. I would add teachers being called up in the reserves and gone for months during the Cuban crisis. First person in town killed in Vietnam Nam. Everyone's favorite teacher called up and a year later also killed in Nam. A good friend just a few years older joined and killed on a special mission in Laos I think.
Crazy times when I think back.
Good Day.
Seven Costanza
AG
At the time, were people not constantly talking about how pointless the duck and cover practice was? It seems like even an 8-year old could see that this had no chance of protecting you.
CanyonAg77
AG
If you're at ground zero, sure, nothing is going to save you.

If you're a couple of miles away, you have a few seconds between the flash and the arrival of the heat/blast wave. Getting under your desk and hukering down will help protect you against the glass that will momentarily be flying in from the blown out windows.

People survived as close as 300 meters to ground zero in Hiroshima.

It was never a stupid idea, unless you believe it's better to die instantly than have a slim chance of survival.
30wedge
Drills where we got under the desk. I was a kid of course, but I questioned just how much protection a desk inside a building would provide!

Cuban missile crisis.

All the concern over Russia, including Sputnik and the space race.
cbr
AG
Apache said:

When Red Dawn came out in '84, all my elementary friends & I wanted to be exactly like the Wolverines. Except we would win because we were Texans and thus awesome.

When i watch that movie now i cant help but see atf logos on the bad guys.
cbr
AG
I almost got run over by a leopard tank as a kid in west germany. It was awesome.

Treetop jets and company size maneuvers were common. Late 70's.
Old RV Ag
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

If you're at ground zero, sure, nothing is going to save you.

If you're a couple of miles away, you have a few seconds between the flash and the arrival of the heat/blast wave. Getting under your desk and hukering down will help protect you against the glass that will momentarily be flying in from the blown out windows.

People survived as close as 300 meters to ground zero in Hiroshima.

It was never a stupid idea, unless you believe it's better to die instantly than have a slim chance of survival.
Being the Hiroshima bomb was detonated about 600 meters above ground, no one was 300 meters away.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.