The Black Death

1,828 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Waltonloads08
Waltonloads08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm currently reading "In the Wake of the Plague" by Norman Cantor.

I never knew that there are theories about whether the Black Death in Europe in the 1300's was really only Bubonic Plague alone or if it was also a bad Anthrax outbreak initially spread by cattle.

Anyone else surprised to hear this?

Also, any other book recommendations?
YZ250
I hadn't heard that.

I thought The Great Mortality by John Kelly was excellent. Had a pretty good idea where it started, why it started and the path it took across Asia and Europe.
Cen-Tex
AG
I hadn't heard of that either. To date, haven't most of the victims that were unearthed tested positive for the bacteria that caused the disease?

Its interesting reading about medical science back in the Middle Ages, For instance, the thought was that the plaque was caused by 'bad air'. Bloodletting was still a popular way of treating diseases. One method of resuscitating a drowning victim consisted of 'stimulating' the victim by means such as rectal and oral fumigation with tobacco smoke. I guess this is where the term 'blowing smoke up one's....' originated.
Waltonloads08
AG
Hell, as of the early 20th century they still believed in "bad air" and bleeding patients.

It's shocking how bad medicine was until very recently.

Medicine was more philosophic than scientific, and pretty much anyone could claim to be a doctor- there were no formal requirements to practice.
BrazosBendHorn
Waltonloads08 said:

It's shocking how bad medicine was until very recently.

Medicine was more philosophic than scientific, and pretty much anyone could claim to be a doctor- there were no formal requirements to practice.
Yep ...

from SNL, 1978 ...
APHIS AG
Waltonloads08 said:

I'm currently reading "In the Wake of the Plague" by Norman Cantor.

I never knew that there are theories about whether the Black Death in Europe in the 1300's was really only Bubonic Plague alone or if it was also a bad Anthrax outbreak initially spread by cattle.

Anyone else surprised to hear this?

Also, any other book recommendations?
It is when bubonic plague became pneumonic that really caused the death toll to increase..

And this is the first time I have ever heard of human to human infection from anthrax for it is generally individuals that come into contact with infected animals or eat infected meat and meat was for the rich at that time that are infected.

www.cdc.gov/anthrax/basics/how-people-are-infected.html
terata
AG
I read, somewhere, that the Plague by itself might not have been the only disease agent working throughout the massive die off during 14th century Europe, and Anthrax might be another possible cause.
Waltonloads08
AG
The rich didn't tend to the cattle herds though, the peasants practically lived with them.

So you've got the wealthy eating the meat and the poor in close contact.

They've apparently found Anthrax spores in mass graves from that era.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.