184 years ago, the siege of the Alamo begins

4,162 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Martin Cash
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This afternoon 184 years ago, scouts of the Texian army encountered Mexican calvary forces and the spotter in the bell tower of the San Fernando Church rang the alarm of Mexican forces encroaching upon Bexar. The element of surprise being lost for the Calvary probably saved the mission, for a few days at least. The Texians gathered what supplies they could and fell into the Alamo.

Col. Travis, commander of the regular Texian army at Bexar sent a dispatch to Gonzales.

To Andrew Ponton, Judge and
Citizens of Gonzales
February 23, 1836
COMMANDANCY OF BEXAR, 3 o'clock p.m.: The enemy in large force are in sight. We want men and provisions. Send them to us. We have 150 men and are determined to defend the Alamo to the last. Give us assistance.
P.S. Send an express to San Felipe with news night
and day.

And another to Col Fannin at Fort Defiance in Goliad.

From W.B. Travis and James Bowie
To James W. Fannin (at Goliad)
February 23, 1836
COMMANDANCY OF BEXAR: We have removed all the men to the Alamo where we make such resistance as is due our honor, and that of a country, until we can get assistance from you, which we expect you to forward immediately. In this extremity, we hope you will send us all the men you can spare promptly. We have one hundred and forty six men, who are determined never to retreat. We have but little provisions, but enough to serve us till you and your men arrive. We deem it unnecessary to repeat to a brave officer, who knows his duty, that we call on him for assistance.

The Mexican army raised the blood red flag of No Quarter. Travis fired the 18-pounder cannon as his initial response. 2 Mexican officers are killed. After both Travis and Jim Bowie, commander of the Volunteer forces, sent messengers to discuss potential surrender agreements with the Mexicans, they both ordered the cannon fired again.

The 13 days to glory had begun.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Check out this thread from 4 years ago:

https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/2724470/1
Pro Sandy
AG
Nife! Having a february 29th this year excited me for alamo history, just like that thread!
Rascal
AG
In honor of this thread, I also wanted to re-share this thread I started a few years back on this topic:

Alamo Hypothetical
JABQ04
AG
I still think two M240B teams on the roof of the hospital let's you hold the Alamo, given they have plenty of ammo. I would almost say the .50 cal but even tripod mounted you're not going to be able to move it a lot. The 240s let you move with ease.
Cen-Tex
AG
Coincidental that the weather in San Antonio today and tomorrow will be close to the freezing temps on Feb 26 and 27, 1836. (day 4-5 of the battle)
coach_pope
AG
One thing I have always wondered Is how much does the battle and war change if Fannin reinforces the Alamo?
JABQ04
AG
coach_pope said:

One thing I have always wondered Is how much does the battle and war change if Fannin reinforces the Alamo?

I don't think Fannin was going to get his force through after the first couple days of the siege. Individual couriers could get in and out at what seems like will, and 32 men got in but several hundred weren't getting into the Alamo. Mexican cavalry patrols would have spotted them and the Goliad Massacre would have just happened closer to San Antonio as they get caught in the open and slaughtered or surrender and executed. The Alamo still falls.

There some speculation that a force of about 200 men did try to get into the Alamo around March 3 or 4, and were guided in by Crockett and a couple of others. But this group was discovered and a running gun fight ensued leaving only a handful to make into the fort and the rest to try again at a later date or move off to Goliad or join Houston. It's an interesting theory and there is spotty evidence that does lend some support. This and the escape attempts on the morning of the Alamos fall are my two big interests at the moment on the Alamo.
milner79
45-70Ag
AG
Kids are on spring break and We are raking them to the Alamo today. My son is excited, my daughter is not quite as excited.
BQ78
AG
These kids need to be raken too:

45-70Ag
AG
What direction did the Mexican army approach from?

Was just curious if anyone has ever tried to find their camp sites from the Mexican border to San Antonio.
Cen-Tex
AG
In the Metro section of today's San Antonio Express (Mar 15th), history writer Paula Allen tells a story about the pre-battle neighborhoods near the Alamo compound. Not all were in harmony with the Texian's efforts.

-"the citizens of this municipality are all our enemies except those who have joined us heretofore." - WB Travis letter of 3 Mar. 1836

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Battle-era-Alamo-the-garrison-defending-San-15131438.php

Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

coach_pope said:

There some speculation that a force of about 200 men did try to get into the Alamo around March 3 or 4, and were guided in by Crockett and a couple of others. But this group was discovered and a running gun fight ensued leaving only a handful to make into the fort and the rest to try again at a later date or move off to Goliad or join Houston. It's an interesting theory and there is spotty evidence that does lend some support. This and the escape attempts on the morning of the Alamos fall are my two big interests at the moment on the Alamo.
Supposedly there were as many Texians trying to get out of the Alamo as their were Mexicans coming over the walls. They were caught outside the walls and ridden down by Mexican Lancers who were stationed around the fort for such an occasion.

This would stand to reason. They were not trained troops. Assaulting force with bayonets is not something that ill trained volunteers readily stand up to. The only logical thing to do is get the hell out of Dodge.
coach_pope
AG
Spent the last few days watching all the Alamo/Texas
Revolution films I could find.
John Wayne's Alamo
2004 Alamo
Last Command
James A Micheners Texas
Gone to Texas
Two for Texas
Texas Rising
Disney's Davy Crockett

Any know of any other films or good documentaries on the revolution?
MGS
How about that episode of Amazing Stories where that kid from the Alamo appears in the modern-day(1980s) San Antonio?

https://www.nbc.com/amazing-stories/video/alamo-jobe/2909094
Cen-Tex
AG
Irish_Man said:

What direction did the Mexican army approach from?

Was just curious if anyone has ever tried to find their camp sites from the Mexican border to San Antonio.
The Mexican army approached the rebels in Texas via 2 directions. Santa Anna's army crossed the Rio Grande at Guerrero, Mexico, below present day Eagle Pass. Actually General Sesma and his army crossed first, followed by Santa Anna and his troops a few days later on Feb. 16th. Other generals and their battalions crossed the Rio Grande days later. The army marched to the northeast toward present day Carrizo Springs. A few miles northeast of Carrizo Springs is Espantosa Lake (2835' N, 9949' W). It is known as one of the campsites. Nearer to San Antonio is another campsite called Garza's Crossing. It's located on the Medina River, southeast of Von Ormy and north of Somerset, Tx. on the Old Somerset Rd. The Ruiz-Herrera Cemetery occupies some of the land near the crossing. Richard G. Santos is said to have pinpointed river crossings, map coordinates and campsites in his 1967 book Santa Anna's Campaign Against Texas.

Gen. Jose Urrea's army crossed the Rio Grande north of Matamoras and marched up the coastal area of Texas. Very successful in defeating anything that stood in his way. A link to his day-to day marches and camps- http://www.sonsofdewittcolony.org/goliadurrea.htm. If anyone can provide additional info to Irish Man, please do.

Martin Cash
AG
coach_pope said:

Spent the last few days watching all the Alamo/Texas
Revolution films I could find.
John Wayne's Alamo
2004 Alamo
Last Command
James A Micheners Texas
Gone to Texas
Two for Texas
Texas Rising
Disney's Davy Crockett

Any know of any other films or good documentaries on the revolution?
"The First Texan" with Joel McCrea as Sam Houston. Entertaining if not particularly accurate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.