Cold War What If

1,538 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
Mort Rainey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What if FDR has lived?

What if he was in great health and served his full 4th term through 1948? So much of what happened in the Cold War came about because of moves made in that four year term. How would it have changed with FDR at the helm instead of Truman?
BQ78
AG
Closer ties to the Soviets. In some ways FDR trusted Uncle Joe more than Sir Winston.
PanzerAggie06
AG
The Cold War may, and that's a big may, have been pushed to the right a few years but it was coming nonetheless. The Soviets walked out of WWII, or shortly thereafter, as a Super Power. As the US was the only other Super Power at the time we were bound to butt heads eventually. Perhaps the only way to have avoided the Cold War would have been if Stalin and FDR switched dying, ie. Stalin dies in 45' and not FDR. Perhaps his replacement would have been less inclined or less capable to get the Cold War up and running. Total conjecture on my part of course.
Smokedraw01
I've heard some say the Cold War started the minute Russia pulled out of WW1 but that was so long ago I can't remember their premise.
HollywoodBQ
AG
The biggest question in your what if scenario is, would FDR have made the same decisions as Truman with respect to dropping the Atomic Bombs on Japan?

How would things have been different if he acted Earlier? Later? In a different sequence?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.