Joe Rogan - S.C. Gwynne - "Empire of the Summer Moon"

3,086 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GSPag`
aggie appraiser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rogan interviews and discusses Empire of the Summer Moon with the author.

chick79
AG
That was a great book!
CT'97
AG
Am I the only one who felt it was sensationalized and he focused on the things that would obviously disturb a modern audience?
Build It
AG
I listened to it on Audible and it was fabulous.
RGV AG
AG
I don't read much on American or western history usually, but I enjoyed that book quite a bit. Easy to read and flowed well.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Great book. Balanced presentation of the facts of history. Should be required reading for any Texas history course.
who?mikejones
AG
CT'97 said:

Am I the only one who felt it was sensationalized and he focused on the things that would obviously disturb a modern audience?

I didnt get that from the book. Also, i feel like pretty much all accurate depictions of that time would disturb a modern audience. It was a rough time. It was far more challenging and violent than most people understand and was truly a fight for survival for every party.
CanyonAg77
AG
There were one or two eye-rolling moments, but the majority of the book was balanced, I thought.
GSPag`
Canyon, please share what you found eye rolling. I would be interested in hearing them.
CanyonAg77
AG
GSPag` said:

Canyon, please share what you found eye rolling. I would be interested in hearing them.
Sorry, it's been a long time since I read it. One was describing forty foot snowdrifts in the Texas Panhandle. And it seems like there were one or two "Lo, the noble savage" moments, but it's been years since I read it.

On balance, it seemed to fairly describe the attitudes and motivations of both sides.
CanyonAg77
AG
Found this post of mine from 2011:
Quote:

Reading it now (Christmas present) Some glaring inaccuracies (50 foot snowdrifts on the high plains???) and a bias that started on page two, referring to McKenzie and the Red River Wars as "The Final Solution".

Still well written, pulls lots of info from first-hand accounts such as On the Border with McKenzie.

Only about 4 chapters in (had other Christmas books to read first) but I like it. Living here in the middle of Comancheria and a dozen miles from the battle of the Palo Duro, it's a subject that has long fascinated me.

Quote:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've read a lot on the Red River Wars, and being from Canyon (and Texas) I've known the Cynthia Ann Parker story forever. Even been to the reproduction Parker Fort in Grosebeck. I've read Carter's On the Border with McKenzie, so I recognized Carter's influence.

As stated above, I was instantly on guard when he used the politically charged term "final solution" And there are spots were his obvious bias creeps in.

But all in all, I thought it was well-balanced, mostly accurate, and most of all, well-written book. Reads more like a novel than a history book. Tells the story from both sides, without painting one side or the other as heroes or villains.

Lots of footnotes and references in the back for further consideration.
If you really want to dive deep into it, I also found a post I made where I linked some of the many threads, and linked them:

https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/2031529/replies/30152553

Quote:

Previous Discussion 1

PD 2

PD 3

PD 4

Related Discussion 1

RD 2

RD 3

RD 3

RD 4
Rabid Cougar
AG
After the interview with Joe Rogan EOSM showed up back up on the New York Times Best Seller List. Currently No. 16 after being listed No.2 in January.

It had not been on the list in over 5 years...
GSPag`
Canyon, Thanks for the links. I do remember you and I discussing the book years ago, I just could not remember what we found a little hard to believe.

I post under another name now. I grew up down the road from fellow Aggie and Tractor Lover Paul Armstrong to jog your memory.

I will go read those links. Thanks again.
CanyonAg77
AG
I remember that discussion, too. We dispersed most of Dad's antique tractor collection, but we kept a Gibson D2, and an unstyled John Deere L (one of about 1400 made) that Dad bought from Paul's estate.
GSPag`
And one of these days I am going to visit you in Canyon and spend the afternoon in the finest regional museum in North America. And we probably will need more than an afternoon.

CanyonAg77
AG
Any time. I have a hotmail throwaway email same as TexAgs username anytime you head this way
GSPag`
Will do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.