More Than You Ever Wanted To Know about The M4 Sherman's Guns

1,718 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Smeghead4761
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
all of them.

The front MG had to be eyeballed to fire which is very interesting to me. No sight provision just wing it.
JABQ04
AG
Accuracy through volume is a decent strategy. I'm a fan!
Madman
AG
I think they said that position had 3000 rounds. But that sounds high to me so maybe that was also meant to feed the other positions as well.
Rabid Cougar
AG
All of Nick "The Chieftan" Moran's videos on YouTube are very cool and very informative. I highly recommend them if you are a tank nerd. JABQ04- he even has videos on self-propelled guns.

M4s carried 3,000 of .30 cal. for both .30s
Smeghead4761
Madman said:

I think they said that position had 3000 rounds. But that sounds high to me so maybe that was also meant to feed the other positions as well.
I think that most likely reflects what a PITA it probably is to load the weapon/fill the ready ammo box. That, and the fact that the only way to aim is to hold down the trigger and walk the tracer rounds toward the target. That tends to burn through ammo in a hurry.

A current example: the coaxial machinegun in the M1 tank has a ready box that holds 10,800 rounds. It's a huge pain to load (especially since 7.62 NATO comes in 100 round belts). Although the coax benefits from all the same aiming stuff used for the main gun, and thus can be extremely accurate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.