How do modern day British aristocrats make money?

3,052 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Waltonloads08
CostanzaWallet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never learned much British history but have recently become interested in learning more about the monarchy/british aristocracy through watching the Crown.

How do modern day British aristocrats who inherit huge estates with insane overhead just to upkeep make money to stay in the black?
Waltonloads08
AG
They own a lot of the productive land in general, combined with opening the estates to tourism. Many of them are struggling to generate enough to stay afloat, from what I understand.
MAROON
AG
Most utilize tourism to make needs meet. I know one who has set-up a # of businesses on their estate - stores and restaurants, and also some B&B type cottages to bring in revenue. The house itself is in need of some TLC - we stayed there in the private quarters and some of the rooms are not used now. Also over the half the house is set-up as a museum. Still it was a pretty cool place.

https://www.doddingtonhall.com/

also the people who own "Downton Abbey" have made a nice living off of them using their home for the series. So some rent their homes for tv and movie sets.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
BQ78
AG
VAT

Off the labour (purchases) of the masses.
p_bubel
They used to marry very wealthy Americans.

Then there's leasholds, where you pay ground rent for the building you built/purchased to the landlord.
74OA
AG
Here you go: Preserving Wealth
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Waltonloads08 said:

They own a lot of the productive land in general, combined with opening the estates to tourism. Many of them are struggling to generate enough to stay afloat, from what I understand.

This.

What's sad (pathetic) is they'll drop a **** ton renovating then live like Anne Frank in these litte cubby hole sections in the back.

I hate the royals but have some sympathy for these particular people's plight. They're not what their ancestors were certainly.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
12th Man
AG
Sadly, it's the British tax system more so than the upkeep that makes these estates so costly.
Waltonloads08
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

Waltonloads08 said:

This.

What's sad (pathetic) is they'll drop a **** ton renovating then live like Anne Frank in these litte cubby hole sections in the back.

I hate the royals but have some sympathy for these particular people's plight. They're not what their ancestors were certainly.

Plight is probably not the word I'd use to describe multi-millionaires holding onto their English estates by living at a more reasonable standard. If they don't like it, they'd sell it. Maybe they just enjoy the life...I probably would, and not be one bit sad about it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.