Pearl Harbor Damage and Salvage/Recovery

2,450 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by monarch
coupland boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's well known that the fuel/oil tanks and ship servicing facilities were only lightly damaged or left alone during the attack. But another "mistake" would seem to have been the distribution of ordinance expended on the ships.

Battleships only - Oklahoma took 9 (1 of which apparently hit as it was already rolling over), West Virginia 7, Nevada 1, and California 2. Arizona (0), Pennsylvania (drydock), and Maryland and Tennessee were shielded.

I can understand that in the chaos of battle how precision and any plans would go by the wayside. I assume that the distance of water offered a clearer path to the Oklahoma and West Virginia.

ja86
AG
This video does a pretty good job showing why the Oklahoma and West Virginia were overwhelmingly targeted on Battleship row.

coupland boy
AG
Thanks. That was good.

California got lucky.
Eliminatus
AG
ja86 said:

This video does a pretty good job showing why the Oklahoma and West Virginia were overwhelmingly targeted on Battleship row.

This video maker puts out some damn good content. Easily matches most of the professional content I've seen and surpasses quite a bit of even that.

I thought I had seen them all but somehow missed this one.
BrazosBendHorn
Just watched this and the video about the Battle of Coral Sea. Excellent explanations and tactical animations.
JABQ04
AG
I bought a book years ago called "Descent into Darkness". It was a salvage divers recollections of diving in the Arizona, recovering bodies as well as useful material for the war. It was a good read if any of y'all come across it.
aggieforester05
AG
JABQ04 said:

I bought a book years ago called "Descent into Darkness". It was a salvage divers recollections of diving in the Arizona, recovering bodies as well as useful material for the war. It was a good read if any of y'all come across it.
Along the same lines "Shadow Divers" is a great audiobook I listened to a couple of years ago about a team of divers exploring a german uboat off the coast of New Jersey.
AndesAg92
AG
Thanks for posting. Very well done.
coupland boy
AG
Ran across this first hand account of the Oklahoma salvage

Stupe
S
That is an outstanding video.
coupland boy
AG
And now it hits home doesn't it?

Wow.

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/153110/42-aggie-identified-will-be-buried-on-pearl-harbor-day/
monarch
S
Wow. This is good stuff. I'm from Hawaii, born in 1952. My parents were born there also and so were their parents and their parents also. We have Hawaiian blood in us and also Portuguese which was how that side of the family got to Hawaii. On the day of the attack, my parents were 11 (dad) and 7, almost 8 (mom). My dad was with his buddies at Waikiki Beach and my mom and her mom were leaving their house to catch the bus to go to church in Pearl City. At the moment of the attack, my mom was walking out the front door, heard and then saw Jap bombers flying over her house inbound to Pearl Harbor. My dad had said that he saw Jap aircraft coming around Diamond Head inbound to Pearl Harbor. Have always thought that what if some Jap pilot from what ever direction had decided to do some strafing and or maybe in process of arming his bombs or torpedo's and they accidently dropped and killed one of my parents. Wow. I wouldn't be here today. My dad is passed on and my mother is not going to be with us very much longer but I remember my mother talking at times as we got older about that day and what she remembered and saw. Very interesting stuff.
Stupe
S
You need to video her talking about it.
monarch
S
We should have done that years ago. Unfortunately, she is in an assisted living home now and doesn't know what she did at 9:00 this AM.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.