Lost & Advanced Civilizations

3,034 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aalan94
Tex_Ag_2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently started listening to some stuff that Graham Hancock put out like on Joe Rogan podcast and various other videos. I find it very interesting but do not have enough knowledge to agree or disagree. I think his take on archaeology and interpreting the findings as more of a philosophy rather than a hard science makes a lot of sense. I know that much of his work is discredited and I am not saying that I believe anything one way or the other. I am no educated enough to say. Anyone have any videos or good books on subjects pertaining to this? Any on Amazon Kindle Unlimited would be great. Or any good documentaries that aren't extremely boring on youtube, netflicks, etc.

TLDR: Looking for good books on lost civilizations that are included in Kindle Unlimited. Or documentaries easily accessed on major streaming services.
BQ78
AG
Quote:

TLDR:
This is the history board, we like to read.

Sorry I have no suggestions for your request.
expresswrittenconsent
So you want actual history or conspiracy talk? The Joe Rogan part is why I ask.
Rabid Cougar
AG
We like boring documentaries...
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
It doesn't have to be conspiracy or not. I am open to all information. Like I said, I am not educated enough to say one way or the other. I'm open to all sides but conspiracies are definitely fun to think about.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I don't know about the guy on Rogan but I have had the chance to travel a good bit, especially around the Middle East - Saudi Arabia and Egypt specifically.

In my hometown in Saudi Arabia, there was an area near us where if you went to the beach, there were thousands of pottery shards all over the beach and surrounding sand dunes. Most of them were painted colourfully. The pottery shards were of different sizes and I did know of one person who claimed to have found an entire intact pot. I always wondered where they came from and why they seemed to be scattered all over this one particular beach area.

There are several forts in Saudi that were built by the Ottoman Turks and of course the remnants of the Hejaz Railway. Near Taif, there are some petroglyphs outside of town and of course a well constructed camel trail that descends down to Mecca and Jeddah.

The crowning achievement of the ancient Nabatean civilisation is their tombs north of Medina, Saudi Arabia in an area called Madain Saleh. It's just fascinating to me that some ancient civilisation made such elaborate works of art that have stood for thousands of years now.

And obviously we still don't know all there is to know about Egypt. The stuff is interesting but, do I believe that there was an ancient Egyptian civilisation in The Grand Canyon like some guy I heard on Joe Rogan said? Doubtful. Not impossible but extremely doubtful.

Moving further north, in a bar last week in Tokyo, I met a drunken Swede who told me very proudly about his Viking ship and showed me photos. The Norsemen did a lot that I think we still don't know about.

For your enjoyment, here's one of my favourite Nabatean tombs. I've been there and it is magnificent. There are many more but this one that stands alone is pretty neat.

74OA
AG
"Silk Roads" by Frankopan isn't specifically about lost civilizations but its narrative covers many largely forgotten societies and empires that the passage of time has obscured. Recommend.
Waltonloads08
AG
The Lost City of The Monkey God is about the discovery of a lost Inca civilization in Honduras. Goes into detail about the find and using "LiDar" to see through the jungle to visualize hidden roads, buildings, terraces, etc.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Sumerian Civilization - the cities of Ur (mentioned in Genesis) and Uruk in the middle of the southern Iraqi desert. Been to both of them.

3,000 BC. 300 miles from the nearest ocean yet there were sea shells everywhere. Layers of pottery shards 20 feet deep. Pottery shards littering the ground like gravel.

Uruk

Ur

claym711
AG
Magicians of the Gods was interesting. Some of it were obvious reaches, but plenty of it was compelling. The theory and evidence for a younger dryas impact that destroyed some civilizations is very interesting. Some of the construction quality in South America certainly makes one raise a brow.

Gobekli tepe was a significant revelation.
Ulrich
EDIT: I thought this thread had been moved, not re-posted. So I'm repeating myself, but I stand by it.

I believe that organized societies have been around longer than we know about and I find the topic extremely interesting, but Hancock is not a source that can be trusted. I've read one of his books, researched his claims, and came to the conclusion that he is one of several writers who are somewhere between overly speculative and outright fraudulent.

Best to look for either real researchers or real fiction writers depending on which aspect of his work you like more.
Apache
AG
Quote:

The theory and evidence for a younger dryas impact that destroyed some civilizations is very interesting.

There has been a ton of evidence supporting the younger-dryas impact that has come out this year. This is sort of a pet interest of mine.
Evidence in North America:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191025110314.htm
Evidence in South America:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190313140616.htm
Evidence in Africa:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191002110329.htm

It is interesting that every year the dates for settlement of North America are pushed back, early homo sapiens are found farther from Africa, more examples of other homo species are found spread about the globe.

Hancock is correct in a certain sense: early civilization was more widespread, more advanced & more interconnected than we give it credit for. He takes it waaaay too far & throws in all sorts of speculation about alien contact, Atlantis-like super civilizations, connections between Egypt & North America Indians, etc. (He basically pioneered the current popular programming of the History Channel!!)

OP, you might study the Minoan culture on Crete for one. They were a link in the Mediterranean between the Egyptians, Greeks, Levant cultures & all the way to the Iberian peninsula. (Sort of like the Phoenicians became later)

aalan94
AG
I read his "Fingerprints of the Gods" book about 20 years ago and I had the impression that he has a lot of **** that is interesting enough without the conspiracy theories.

This is not to say that all of these kind of interpretations are wrong or doomed to discredit. Look at the Antikythera device and the history behind its discovery. If you ever think we know EVERYTHING about the past, that should prove we don't.

And then there's the Voynich manuscript. Holy moly, that's some freaky stuff. But before anyone gets all space alien/bigfoot, the true story is probably that there were some good technologies or cultures, etc. which we have lost. Considering how many great powers were sea powers, and considering sea level rises, tsunamis, etc. there is a lot out there that could have been lost.

Heck, we don't even know who the "Sea People" in the Iliad were. And even the Iliad was considered entirely fiction until Schliemann dug up Troy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.