New London School Explosion

2,714 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bicmitchum
PanzerAggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm currently reading "Big Wonderful Thing: A History of Texas" and the author just covered the New London, Texas school explosion on March 18, 1937. Almost 300 students and teachers were killed in the blast that was caused by a leak in a natural gas line. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but until now I've never heard of this disaster and I've always prided myself on my historical knowledge. I did a quick search online about it and found an article in which it's stated that this event is not well known in Texas or abroad. The author stated this is because, for the most part, the citizens of New London rarely spoke of the event with outsiders.

Interesting factoid... Adolf Hitler sent the citizens of New London a condolence telegram when he got news of the explosion.
Liquid Wrench
I learned about it reading "The Big Rich" because of the connection to HL Hunt through Parade Gasoline. It's surprising it isn't talked about like the Texas City explosion, but you're probably right about why people didn't talk about it.
coupland boy
AG
That tragedy led to licensing if engineers.
who?mikejones
AG
It also led to adding the smell to gas so people can smell a leak
BQ78
AG
We had a long discussion on it a few years ago.
gigemhilo
AG
BQ78 said:

We had a long discussion on it a few years ago.
I was thinking TexAgs was where I had first heard of it.
CanyonAg77
AG
I started the thread on the 80th anniversary. Lots of good links and info on the old thread, lots of people with connections to New London responded.

One of the threads that reminds you how great the TexAgs History Board can be

https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/2839737
PanzerAggie06
AG
Thanks. That's some good stuff.
Ciboag96
PanzerAggie06 said:

I'm currently reading "Big Wonderful Thing: A History of Texas" and the author just covered the New London, Texas school explosion on March 18, 1937. Almost 300 students and teachers were killed in the blast that was caused by a leak in a natural gas line. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but until now I've never heard of this disaster and I've always prided myself on my historical knowledge. I did a quick search online about it and found an article in which it's stated that this event is not well known in Texas or abroad. The author stated this is because, for the most part, the citizens of New London rarely spoke of the event with outsiders.

Interesting factoid... Adolf Hitler sent the citizens of New London a condolence telegram when he got news of the explosion.

I just started reading the book. I also consider it exercise given the size of it!
EMY92
AG
It also impacts school design today. They are designed so natural gas can't accumulate in the crawl spaces.
Ciboag96
[url=][/url]
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/1937-03-20_Children_Die_As_Gas_Explosion_Shatters_School.ogv

Newsreel footage
bicmitchum
my dad went to that school.i think the young kids got out early or something
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.