Bastogne & Germany Trip - where should I go?

2,181 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Squadron7
Corporal Punishment
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm flying to Frankfurt for a week and have 7 days to nerd out on WWII museums and battlefields. Looks like there's a Bastogne War Museum some 3 hours from Frankfurt by car.

If I wanted to take in as much Allied history in the Bulge area / West Germany, what are some options?
74OA
AG
Select "Germany" from the list on the right: WWII
HollywoodBQ
AG
Here's where I went two years ago:
https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/2864454
Quick summary of the highlights:
  • 101st ABN Museum
  • Mardasson Museum/Memorial
  • 101st ABN Foxholes near Foy
  • US Military Cemetery - Luxembourg
  • German Military Cemetery - 2km from the American one in Luxembourg
Martin Cash
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Here's where I went two years ago:
https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/2864454
Quick summary of the highlights:
  • 101st ABN Museum
  • Mardasson Museum/Memorial
  • 101st ABN Foxholes near Foy
  • US Military Cemetery - Luxembourg Patton is buried there
  • German Military Cemetery - 2km from the American one in Luxembourg

Corporal Punishment
AG
Thanks for all the help, gentlemen. I'm close to finished assembling my itinerary. Not sure what I would've done without your outstanding suggestions.

I'll return with a summary of my trip.

My current (admittedly 1st world) problem is trying to hire a driver to take us from the Frankfurt airport to Bastogne. By train it's 6 hours and normally I wouldn't care but I'm not going to be up for that right after crossing the Atlantic. Any ideas?
chickencoupe16
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Thanks for all the help, gentlemen. I'm close to finished assembling my itinerary. Not sure what I would've done without your outstanding suggestions.

I'll return with a summary of my trip.

My current (admittedly 1st world) problem is trying to hire a driver to take us from the Frankfurt airport to Bastogne. By train it's 6 hours and normally I wouldn't care but I'm not going to be up for that right after crossing the Atlantic. Any ideas?

Rent a car? Driving in Europe is not bad at all, just read up on road signs before you go.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Just kind of feel like not driving after nonstop CS/iah/O'Hare/Frankfurt.
Buck Compton
AG
That's the best flight you could find?? Damn, that sounds rough.

But the long and short of it is, either drive or take the train are the two practical options. In hindsight, if Bastogne was a key site for the trip, I would have either done it first or last and flown out of Luxembourg or Brussels to make it a bit easier on travel. Enjoy the trip!
chickencoupe16
AG
Yeah, that is rough... Unfortunately, other than a cab or Uber, I don't have any suggestions. I'm sure that either of those will be a pretty penny.
74OA
AG
The Maginot Line is just over the open border in France, too. Good Tours of Rohrbach and Simserhof, which have been preserved and may be visited by the public.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Yeah, but won't I have to go around the Maginot Line?

Think I found a driver BTW.
74OA
AG
Not if you pretend you're a German.

The area around Bit che in France is beautiful and just over the border. Lots to see in addition to the Maginot Lines tours.
Honorary Ag
S
Here is our trip this past June. Scroll to the bottom and you can see the update on how our trip went. I really recommend Roby Clam as a guide. If you have any questions or need clarification don't hesitate to ask.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2942840

aalan94
AG
Experienced German traveler here. I was a German major at A&M and lived there for a couple of years.

1. GET OUT of Frankfurt at any chance you have. It's the worst city in the country for history. Unlike most cities that rebuilt to almost a creepy reincarnation of their former self, Frankfurt rebuilt itself as Houston, with glass skyscrapers, etc. Don't spend a minute there if you can go somewhere else.
2. Go to Heidelberg. Not really huge on WWII history, but it's the closest piece of awesomeness to Frankfurt.
3. Consider Nuremberg. It's the other way from Bastogne, etc. but there is a whole bunch of history there. The Nazi Party rallies were there and much of that land is still open, undeveloped and viewable. And the awesome town of Wurtzburg is halfway there.
4. Luzembourg is cool if you can do it. Cologne is awesome if you have time.
But it sounds like you have a short trip. Look at my advice and others and pick what you think works best. Good luck.
Squadron7
AG
Go to this museum if you get any chance at all. Unbelievable collection of military hardware. Best I've ever seen.

https://www.visitluxembourg.com/en/place/museum/national-museum-of-military-history-diekirch

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.