The Boer War Book Recommendation

2,075 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oldord
2ndAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a book recommendation on the Boer War. I know very little about the war, so I'm looking for a broad overview, before I start diving into some specific aspect of the war.

Thanks
BQ78
AG
I haven't read any but I hear that Thomas Pakenham's book is the gold standard (wonder if he is an ancestor of the guy killed in the Battle of New Orleans).

I can highly recommend the movie Breaker Morant as the best movie on the Boer War. It is based on the book Scapegoats of the Empire by George Witton one of the accused Commandos who wasn't executed.

Interestingly I was in the UK a few months ago checking out Plymouth's monument to the Boer War and nearby was there Zulu War monument that the UK SJWs have made them box up and build an 8 foot tall wooden fence around it... It's not just Confederate monuments folks.
AgRyan04
I believe Churchill wrote a book (or maybe two) about the Boer War....but I can't vouch for it
JABQ04
AG
Lord Baden Powell, the founder of Boy Scouts, served in the British Army during the second boer war. His scout handbooks draw heavily on field craft of the time, just toned down for youth instead of soldiers. I'm sure he would have written some accounts of the war too
Corporal Punishment
AG
If you recall the wily bearded Boer character in Breaker Morant that sings the opera? tune in front of the British officers at dinner...

He's a friend of mine and I'm going to visit him in South Australia (where the movie was filmed) in March.

Small world.

And yes, that's really him singing.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

I can highly recommend the movie Breaker Morant as the best movie on the Boer War. It is based on the book Scapegoats of the Empire by George Witton one of the accused Commandos who wasn't executed.

I can't give this comment enough blue stars. Breaker Morant is an excellent movie on its own, well worth watching.
SRBS
That's utterly cool CP!
And that's a tremendous film too.
I've got a great book on the battle of Spion Kop but that's prolly my only volume on the Boer war.
USAFAg
AG
BQ78 said:

I haven't read any but I hear that Thomas Pakenham's book is the gold standard (wonder if he is an ancestor of the guy killed in the Battle of New Orleans).

Interestingly I was in the UK a few months ago checking out Plymouth's monument to the Boer War and nearby was there Zulu War monument that the UK SJWs have made them box up and build an 8 foot tall wooden fence around it... It's not just Confederate monuments folks.

Absolutely recommend this book as part of any Boer War study.
oldord
AG
One of the best not academic stories of the Boer war...
"God does not forget" by Deneys Rietz.

Really amazing story about a family that was tied into the politics and the military of the Orange Free State and the Transvaal.

Highly recommend. Would be interesting to think on what the OFS and Transvaal would have been if the British had not become greedy. You see what the Boers did from 1905 to 1995. They were the most impoverished white people on the planet earth after the Boer war (more destitute than the Black Africans that came after them)and became one of the most successful nations on the planet.

https://www.amazon.com/GOD-DOES-NOT-FORGET-Commando-ebook/dp/B0041D887Y?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-exp-a-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0041D887Y

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deneys_Reitz
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.