D-Day Audio

3,054 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 74OA
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great story about the rediscovery of original combat recording from Normandy on D-Day. Would love to hear it......... Battle

"Back home, his D-Day report was a sensation. It was 13 minutes and 29 seconds in total.

It was played on stations across the country, starting on June 7, said Matthew Barton, a recorded sound curator at the Library of Congress.

"I believe this will be regarded as one of the greatest records of the whole war," New York columnist Zoe Beckley wrote a few weeks later. "If you heard it, it probably left you limp.""

who?mikejones
AG
Thanks for posting
Sam and Dean
AG
Thanks! I can't get over the fact he waited 15 years to go through the boxes in his basement!! What a wonderful find. Would love to hear them as well. I got chill bumps just listening to the description. Lol
"I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna...I shall never surrender or retreat."
74OA
AG
Here's the full recording. I can imagine the impact it had on a public not yet de-sensitized by today's hyper-realistic movie combat scenes. Longish, so give it time to build: D-Day
agsalaska
AG
So I will not forget to come back to this.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Liquid Wrench
Amazing, thanks for posting.
74OA
AG
It must have been particularly tense listening for families with a serviceman stationed in the UK and likely participating in the invasion.

Fuel for their fears.
Stupe
S
What is amazing is how calm and matter-of-fact he sounds.

This guy wasn't a trained warrior, he was a journalist.
eric76
AG
74OA said:

Great story about the rediscovery of original combat recording from Normandy on D-Day. Would love to hear it......... Battle

"Back home, his D-Day report was a sensation. It was 13 minutes and 29 seconds in total.

It was played on stations across the country, starting on June 7, said Matthew Barton, a recorded sound curator at the Library of Congress.

"I believe this will be regarded as one of the greatest records of the whole war," New York columnist Zoe Beckley wrote a few weeks later. "If you heard it, it probably left you limp.""
If you are interested, I have a number of World War II news reports including several from D-Day. I've made them available a couple of years on June 6 via ftp.

It's interesting listening to broadcasts as the first reports of the invasion trickle in.

I haven't listened to them in maybe ten years, but if I remember correctly, the earliest reports came from intercepts of German military broadcasts and they didn't know if it was some kind of misdirection or not.

After a while, they received confirmation that the reports were, in fact, real.

The computer I had them on is no longer running due to a lightening strike in August, but I can set up another ftp server and make them available on it.
74OA
AG
Thanks for the offer, but I've already listened to quite a few similar reports over the years.
Bregxit
AG
Stupe said:

What is amazing is how calm and matter-of-fact he sounds.

This guy wasn't a trained warrior, he was a journalist.

***All hell breaks loose***
***Gets quiet for a moment***

"Well, that's the first time we've fired our guns."
Stupe
S
That is exactly one of the comments that I was thinking about.

He said that like a car that he was trying to jump off finally started.
74OA
AG
Yeah, but he gave that nervous little laugh right after the gun crew knocked down the attacking Nazi plane.

He was feeling it...........
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.