75th Anniversary of Operation Market-Garden Today

3,142 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And the 157th anniversary of the Battle of Antietam, where George McClellan missed a chance to end the Civil War.
Aggie1205
AG
Might need to re-watch a Bridge Too Far in honor of this.
BQ78
AG
Rabid Cougar
AG
Episode 4 (Replacements) of Band of Brothers too. Liberation of Eindhoven and Randleman evades capture.
Rabid Cougar
AG
mullokmotx said:

And the 157th anniversary of the Battle of Antietam, where George McClellan missed a chance to end the Civil War.

There was a reason "he missed his chance".
ABATTBQ87
AG
JABQ04
AG
BQ78 said:

That scene cracks me up every time. It's been a while since I've read Ryan's ABTF, but did that actually happen? The Brits certainly has some eccentric characters during the war

ETA article of the major. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digby_Tatham-Warter

Just discovered the Major in the film is a fictional character is based off the guy above. Judging from the article it definitely seems like something that he would have said if the situation arose.
aalan94
AG
Ryan was not so committed to accuracy. He got the whole Rudder/Rangers story wrong in The Longest Day.
HarleySpoon
AG
My dad jumped that day.....505th PIR of the 82nd.....Nijmegen....the second bridge. Second jump....after Ste Mere Eglise. Injured at Nijmegen....but not severely enough to miss the bulge in December...St. Vith.
nortex97
AG
Bumping an old thread just because this video popped up on my youtube suggestions today. I think it's pretty good.

ABATTBQ87
AG
aalan94 said:

Ryan was not so committed to accuracy. He got the whole Rudder/Rangers story wrong in The Longest Day.
I've read that Rudder didn't reply to Ryan's request for information on Pointe du Hoc, which led to the poor ending of that segment
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.