World War II Resources

2,070 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Class of 17 made me think of this in his Prague post. There's a lot of WWII stuff I just know and have known for years and people ask how I know all of this stuff. I grew up with it because I grew up in a time in which WWII was closer to me than Vietnam is to Millennials.

So for you young'ins who want to know stuff here are some resources. Everyone else chime in with more.
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War][/url]
VIDEOS

THE WORLD AT WAR 1973
Hands-down the best World War II documentary series because it's encyclopedic.* Covers the war from the beginning to the end. 26 Episodes, narrated by the incomparable Lawrence Olivier. Lots of great interviews done in the 1970s of actual participants - Hitler's secretary, Adolf Galland, Pearl Harbor survivors, etc.
It used to be on YouTube, but I can't find it now. Seems the copyright lawyers pulled it down. But if you want to know World War II, GET IT. You can buy DVDs or probably stream it.
* World at War has one glaring failing: Since it's British, it's very light on the Pacific War. For that, see:

VICTORY AT SEA
This is a very good American documentary series on the Pacific War, which almost perfectly fills the gap that the World at War leaves. It's a little more jingoistic, but it is very good.

These are your best video resources. Bear in mind when they were produced, with all the caveats that entails.
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu5f9hp0IP4][/url]
The Spanish Civil War
Not really World War II, but very good and gives context to the Fascist/Communist struggle that was really the core of the European struggle. Six episodes. Episode 1 is at the above link.

BOOKS:

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich William Shirer, 1960
Shirer was a Berlin correspondent for CBS News and was on the ground for much of the rise of the Nazi party. It's in 5 books (within the larger book). It's easy to break it up. Read one, then another, etc. until you're done. You will understand the Nazi party and the German problem very well for having read it. Professional historians looked down on Shirer snootily, but he was there and they weren't.

The Second World War (6 Volumes) Winston Churchill
Crusade in Europe Dwight Eisenhower
With the Old Breed Eugene Sledge
30 Seconds over Tokyo Ted Lawson

(Just a few books off the top of my head. I'll add more when I get home and check my list.)
Corporal Punishment
AG
Inside the Third Reich - Reichminister Albert Speer (1970?) - This was written by Hitler's architect and minister of armaments. He was in a unique position to have regular access to Hitler during the pre-war and WWII years. IIRC he wrote the text on toilet paper and had them smuggled out of his cell at Spandau. In terms of its popularity, this book was the European version of the Shirer book mentioned above. Critics say this book was written by Speer to whitewash his knowledge of the Holocaust. Either way, it's a fantastic read.
74OA
AG
The US Army's "Green Book" is essentially its official after-action report on WWII. Each volume can be opened here: SERIES

For an overview of the key choices that shaped strategy in WWII, try "Command Decisions". It's a must-read, imo.

Regarding airpower in WWII, I suggest "Winged Victory".

"The Two-Ocean War" covers WWII naval ops very well.
Eliminatus
AG
I have always considered the Time Life WW 2 series to be the World at War on paper.

Not sure if I would go so far as to call it definitive but a damn good primer on all aspects of the conflict.
AgRyan04
Thank you!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Very nice list. I've read the Shirer work, and have watched the World at War series many times. Both should be a first-stop for anyone wanting to get started researching WWII.

Digging down a bit deeper, I'd recommend Masters of the Air for a vivid depiction of what the crews of our heavy bombers faced each time they flew over Europe, and a couple of books on the Battle of Midway: Shattered Sword, and Midway: The Battle That Doomed Japan. I'm sure there are inaccuracies in that last book, but it does give a view of the battle from the Japanese perspective, as it was written by Mitsuo Fuchida, who actually participated in the battle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.