Battle of Midway Question...

8,754 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sam and Dean
jcbaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CT'97 said:

JABQ04 said:

Very true. Like you said there were those that didn't feel the invasion was necessary. However, we were still planning on and preparing for the invasion which was slated to start in Nov 1945.

Some telling quotes from MacArthur who was chosen to lead the whole show.
https://history.army.mil/books/wwii/MacArthur%20Reports/MacArthur%20V1/ch13.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall

I know it's Wikipedia but still gives a good break down of the planned invasion. My grandfather fought the Japanese and in his items I have, there is a pamphlet that was distributed to American troops discussing the points system and will I have enough to go home or will I have to take part in the invasion.

So at least the men were under the assumption that there was going to be an invasion of Japan as the pamphlet was made sometime after May 1945
No doubt a plan was in place and troop movements begin pretty early in the planning process for any plan. But the decision to actually invade had not been made and there was still much discussion about how and when to do it through the summer of '45.
I'm not adding to the discussion at all, but as a side note I do want to say thanks for sharing the pictures of the war manual.

My grandfather was in the Army Air Corps and I have several of his things he kept including his bombardier's training guide and his officer class graduation program. Seeing those photos made me immediately think of him.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

I'f Midway had fallen "Germany first " would have been scrapped. Pearl Hawaii would have been made a bastion. The entire American fleet would have need shifted to Pacific coast. The Royal Navy would been left to handle the Atlantic by itself. Reason being? The next step after Pearl was The West Coast and the Japanese had the means of reaching it in force.
Follow up on previous post:

Japanese planners had estimated it would take 45,000 troops to invade Hawaii. They did realize this was 10 times the largest effort that they had accomplished up that date. According to sources, the U.S. had about 150,000 military personnel in the Hawaii Territory as of June 1942. Not to say that was enough to defend the islands because the Japanese had showed that they could overcome larger forces elsewhere.

It was unlikely that an invasion of Hawaii would have taken place. As mentioned in previous post by others, they simply didn't have the resources to land and support such an effort.

With Britain in no shape to conduct a cross channel invasion in 1942, Roosevelt's military advisors were advocating going on the defensive in Europe and ending the "Germany First" campaign because of the Japanese successes in the Pacific.

HOWEVER, Roosevelt nixed the thought after the victory at Midway in June 1942 saying that they were capable of taking care of business with out shifting priorities.

Waltonloads08
AG
cbr said:

CT'97 said:

cbr said:

there was just no cohesive strategic vision... seems like the whole war was literally 'well, they're embargoing us, we dont have much else to do, so let's see if we can freak them out with a surprise attack and hope they give up'
Careful, you just described our invasion plan for Iraq.

Quote:

back to midway, the whole point was to accomplish what pearl failed to do and sink the carriers. by then it was really already too late, the fleet carriers would be coming on line by the end of 42 anyway and the war was over then.

given that, they should have kept the fleet together, under their cap, with supporting destroyers etc., and as soon as they spotted the carriers they should have tried to close the distance during the air battle and take out the carriers with surface ships at any cost.

The Japanese Navy consistently planned very detailed and complex plans that did not sustain the friction of battle very well. This resulted in repeatedly showing up at objectives with only part of the fleet present and part of the story because one part of the fleet wasn't talking to the other.

Yamato in an effort to hide his main force ended up leaving them dispersed so they couldn't support each other and ultimately allowed himself to be destroyed in detail instead of attacking in force.

The fact that we were reading the Japanese Naval code at this point can't be understated as well. We knew a lot more of what Yamato wanted to do than just that the target was Midway.
Good discusion - though as to your joke, i've honestly come to wonder if the true goal of the iraq war and other post 9/11 actions wasnt simply to destabilize the mideast, destroy secular arab powers, create a radical islamic enemy and migration crisis, and create an american police state....

But thats a whole nother discussion.

Whenever I see the reasons being grand conspiracy and incompetence, the answer is incompetence 99.9% of the time.
Waltonloads08
AG
In the end, I don't think we would've actually invaded Japan even if we didn't have the bomb. It was just completely unnecessary in order for us to win. The entire reason they attacked Pearl Harbor was our oil blockade, and with their navy destroyed we could simply blockade the islands and they starve en masse or return to subsistence farming and de-industrialize. They had no raw materials to work with on the home islands, (the entire reason they needed an empire). Why risk American lives in an invasion? save Japan's industrial society?
EMY92
AG
The American people were tired of war. I don't know if they would have been content to wait the Japanese out. The regular bombing that we were doing was more destructive the that atom bomb, but didn't have the shock affect, so they may have given up without the need for the invasion, even though they fought to the last man on many islands.
Waltonloads08
AG
EMY92 said:

The American people were tired of war. I don't know if they would have been content to wait the Japanese out. The regular bombing that we were doing was more destructive the that atom bomb, but didn't have the shock affect, so they may have given up without the need for the invasion, even though they fought to the last man on many islands.
I agree they were tired of war, but waiting the Japanese out would be the tired thing to do, versus killing potentially hundreds of thousands of our GI's, many of whom also served in Europe, just to finish off the Japs quickly.

Hell, at that point (blockade) the war is over - they weren't going anywhere.

Arguably we did them a favor by dropping the bomb and then basically giving them a free pass after the war. They got everything they ever wanted by LOSING the war.

The US is easily the most benevolent hegemon in the history of humanity.

Old RV Ag
AG
EMY92 said:

Don't forget the Soviets. They definitely would have invaded after they declared war on Aug 15. The US wasn't going to do all the work and then let the Soviets occupy Japan.
CT'97
AG
Old RV Ag said:

EMY92 said:

Don't forget the Soviets. They definitely would have invaded after they declared war on Aug 15. The US wasn't going to do all the work and then let the Soviets occupy Japan.
I have seen nothing that indicates the Soviets would have invaded. They had already stripped their eastern divisions to push into the invasion of Germany. They would have moved a huge amount of troops and materiel across an entire continent just to be able to do it. They also didn't have the naval capability to move those troops across the Sea of Japan to conduct that kind of invasion.

Can you show me something that would indicate they would actually have invaded?
Old RV Ag
AG
CT'97 said:

Old RV Ag said:

EMY92 said:

I have seen nothing that indicates the Soviets would have invaded. They had already stripped their eastern divisions to push into the invasion of Germany. They would have moved a huge amount of troops and materiel across an entire continent just to be able to do it. They also didn't have the naval capability to move those troops across the Sea of Japan to conduct that kind of invasion.

Can you show me something that would indicate they would actually have invaded?
The Japanese had all their defenses in the south to fight the Americans as they thought the USSR would remain neutral. The Soviets didn't need the naval capability you state. And as for moving the troops along the entire continent, they were already doing it and had declared war on Japan. The second article also states how Japan's leaders were thinking in early August to end the war on favorable terms - the bombings weren't even a consideration.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/08/05/stalin_japan_hiroshima_occupation_hokkaido/

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/05/30/the-bomb-didnt-beat-japan-stalin-did/

Edits (multiple) to correct spelling.
CT'97
AG
Finally getting back to this. I had never seen anything along those lines. It's interesting but not surprising.

An invasion of Hokkaido to grab land with a couple of infantry divisions is far from the same thing as invading the main island of Japan and while we don't have the full order of battle I doubt a couple of infantry divisions with little support would have been able to do much.

So it's really apple and oranges as far as the US plan to invade and the Soviet plan. My statement still stands the Soviets didn't have the troops in place or the naval support necessary to support a major invasion of Japan. The fact that the Japanese weren't even preparing for it tells you all you need to know.

It seems like a bit of Russian revisionist history as well.
Waltonloads08
AG
Agree - I thought we were talking about invading Japan to defeat the Japanese and occupy the country, which the USSR absolutely did not have the amphibious assault capabilities to do.

Altogether I think Stalin was just trying to play a strategic hand here, and trying to see if he could get the Americans to concede Hokkaido to the USSR if they could land some troops on the island, but decided against doing even that.

JABQ04
AG
Anybody seeing the movie this weekend. I have some time off next week and I'll check it out then. Still don't have much hope, and judging off the reviews I'd say my feelings are correct. But who knows, I've liked movies "critics" though were bad before.
titan
S
Stive said:

Obviously the hammering of the Japanese carriers during the battle left Japan in a very exposed position going forward. If we hadn't been able to cripple them (say we only sunk one carrier) would they have been able to hold us back for a longer period of time? By how much did those sinkings speed up the war?
This is an appropriate time to jump back in with this movie about to come out. ;-)

Your question is a wide-open one, so let me instead describe what it means in its context. What happens at Midway is the Japanese main element of their "Kido Butai" fast carrier striking (more precisely `raiding' ) force is gutted. Out of the six carriers that hit Pearl Harbor and presided over the capture of much of the South Pacific until halted at Coral Sea battle, the Japanese lose FOUR at Midway. Two crack carriers are left -- and, contrary to myth, most of the skilled aircrews do survive Midway.

However, this is where your question comes to play: IF the Japanese take home more carriers from Midway of Nagumo's force, it is that much stronger for the campaign that WILL decide the Pacific War for real, and that is the long one in Guadalcanal from August 1942-February 1943. THAT, is where the real decision ended up being, where the Japanese power to project offensives was really truly forced back and broken, and where they DO lose many of the cream of their crop aviators.

If the Japanese win Midway, or at least "lose" it more tolerably -- a bit of a `tie' like Coral Sea --- then our invasion of Guadalcanal, a bold offensive, probably doesn't take place when it did. The Japanese probably return to the intention to seize Port Moresby and start closing the ring around Australia, and this time, may win. We have to win at Midway, not just break even.

So the short answer to your question is you can only start to answer it by looking at how more Japanese carriers surviving will impact Guadalcanal. And whether that campaign takes place, or where and when the next great showdown against their surviving carriers (and still crack pilots largely survived as well in this scenario) takes place instead.

Note: this does not mean Japan can win the Pacific War. Probably no chance at all. Its just answering OP's first question.

ClassOf17
JABQ04 said:

Anybody seeing the movie this weekend. I have some time off next week and I'll check it out then. Still don't have much hope, and judging off the reviews I'd say my feelings are correct. But who knows, I've liked movies "critics" though were bad before.

I'm going tonight. But I also have little understanding on the war on the pacific. I was much more interested in the fight against Germany regarding WWII.
JABQ04
AG
ClassOf17 said:

JABQ04 said:

I'm going tonight. But I also have little understanding on the war on the pacific. I was much more interested in the fight against Germany regarding WWII.

Same for me for the longest time. Really once the miniseries "The Pacific" was released and finding out about family history did the the PTO take over as more interesting. But until that point I soaked in anything with the war in Europe that I could.
Belton Ag
AG
titan said:

Stive said:

Obviously the hammering of the Japanese carriers during the battle left Japan in a very exposed position going forward. If we hadn't been able to cripple them (say we only sunk one carrier) would they have been able to hold us back for a longer period of time? By how much did those sinkings speed up the war?
This is an appropriate time to jump back in with this movie about to come out. ;-)

Your question is a wide-open one, so let me instead describe what it means in its context. What happens at Midway is the Japanese main element of their "Kido Butai" fast carrier striking (more precisely `raiding' ) force is gutted. Out of the six carriers that hit Pearl Harbor and presided over the capture of much of the South Pacific until halted at Coral Sea battle, the Japanese lose FOUR at Midway. Two crack carriers are left -- and, contrary to myth, most of the skilled aircrews do survive Midway.

However, this is where your question comes to play: IF the Japanese take home more carriers from Midway of Nagumo's force, it is that much stronger for the campaign that WILL decide the Pacific War for real, and that is the long one in Guadalcanal from August 1942-February 1943. THAT, is where the real decision ended up being, where the Japanese power to project offensives was really truly forced back and broken, and where they DO lose many of the cream of their crop aviators.

If the Japanese win Midway, or at least "lose" it more tolerably -- a bit of a `tie' like Coral Sea --- then our invasion of Guadalcanal, a bold offensive, probably doesn't take place when it did. The Japanese probably return to the intention to seize Port Moresby and start closing the ring around Australia, and this time, may win. We have to win at Midway, not just break even.

So the short answer to your question is you can only start to answer it by looking at how more Japanese carriers surviving will impact Guadalcanal. And whether that campaign takes place, or where and when the next great showdown against their surviving carriers (and still crack pilots largely survived as well in this scenario) takes place instead.

Note: this does not mean Japan can win the Pacific War. Probably no chance at all. Its just answering OP's first question.

I wish there was a Titan alert that pops up in my watchlist when you start posting again. Awesome stuff, as usual. I'm glad you're a part of our community.
Smeghead4761
titan said:

Stive said:

To expand on this: a lesser American victory at Midway could have effected the subsequent Guadalcanal and Solomons campaigns in a couple of ways:

1) The American leadership decides that the presence of the larger number of Kudo Butai carriers (say, 4, rather than the 2 in the actual history) makes any attempt to take and hold Guadalcanal and it's airfield too risky, despite the threat that airfield poses to the sea lines of communication to Australia. Without Guadalcanal, the rest of the Solomons campaign might never happen, and the subsequent Pacific war may look a whole lot more like a straight play of War Plan Orange - a single drive through the Central Pacific, but much slower and more costly because the Japanese, particularly their air arm, haven't been ground down by attrition in the Southwest Pacific.

2) The threat to the sea lanes to Australia is deemed serious enough to justify the risk of landing at Guadalcanal, even with a stronger Kudo Butai able to threaten them. That would make the oft ignored carrier battles at Eastern Solomons and the Santa Cruz Islands a lot rougher for the USN. Eastern Solomons led to Enterprise having to go home for major repairs after going up against 2 IJN fleet carriers. Up that to 4, and Enterprise probably goes to the bottom. If Enterprise sinks at the Eastern Solomons, the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands might not even happen, because Enterprise was one of the two US carriers involved in the later battle, which resulted in the loss of the Hornet. (Saratoga was in drydock at the time, having been torpedoed by a submarine). I doubt Halsey would have willingly sent 1 carrier up against 4.

With more carriers available, the IJN might well have been able to neutralize Henderson Field sufficiently to allow the Japanese army to bring in enough troops and supplies to recapture the airfield. Which brings us to the same endpoint as above - without Guadalcanal, the rest of the Solomons campaign probably doesn't happen.

And that brings up another interesting thought: without the Solomons campaign, MacArthur's whole New Guinea campaign probably isn't feasible (also, the troops used in the Solomons operations are likely in Hawaii or the States, and not available to MacArthur.) That would have been presented FDR with a mammoth political headache - what to do with MacArthur. King isn't going to allow him anywhere near Nimitz's central Pacific operations, and MacArthur isn't going to be happy, or quiet, simply defending Australia.
japantiger
S
CT'97 said:

Finally getting back to this. I had never seen anything along those lines. It's interesting but not surprising.

An invasion of Hokkaido to grab land with a couple of infantry divisions is far from the same thing as invading the main island of Japan and while we don't have the full order of battle I doubt a couple of infantry divisions with little support would have been able to do much.

So it's really apple and oranges as far as the US plan to invade and the Soviet plan. My statement still stands the Soviets didn't have the troops in place or the naval support necessary to support a major invasion of Japan. The fact that the Japanese weren't even preparing for it tells you all you need to know.

It seems like a bit of Russian revisionist history as well.
Some reads on the Soviets and Japan.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/soviets-declare-war-on-japan-invade-manchuria
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/red-army-invasion-manchuria.html
https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/08/05/stalin_japan_hiroshima_occupation_hokkaido/
japantiger
S
titan said:

Stive said:

Thanks for the great post. A few other points:
  • I think one of the things not explored in the "drop the bomb" vs "don't drop the bomb discussion" vs "invade or don't invade" is what does the resulting aftermath look like? It's hard for me to see an unconditional surrender and an end to the war in 1945; or '46 or ????. In a "starve them out" scenario; how many years does that take; if ever? And then what does post War Japan look like and how does that radically change Asia for the last 75 years? Is there a post-war occupation? is the Gov't and societ transformed? Not a sure thing by any means.
  • When the war ended in Europe, my Dad (a combat engineer) ran a factory in Austria crating up the 3rd Army's gear from Europe and shipping it to Asia. Best time of his life I think. Had an Austrian girlfriend; complete autonomy in what he was doing and no one shooting at him. Less than a month after the bombs were dropped; he was on Enewetak on his 21st Bday waiting for the next step toward the main island invasion. After the surrender, it was one year before he returned home (got home in early Sept '46). During that year he spent most of the time in the Philippines. He led the building of the camp the Division was based in and spent most of his time playing baseball; he was a damn good 2nd baseman and the quality of the baseball was outstanding as the league had MLB players in it (Joe Garagiola caught for his team). I never had a problem with them dropping the bomb...neither did he. He had seen war; he had seen the camps in Germany.
  • I never really understood the handwringing with dropping one bomb vs the status quo of dropping bombs from 500 planes and setting a city on fire. It's a bit like trying to separate the fly **** from the pepper. There's certainly no ethical distinction.

Sam and Dean
AG
SRBS said:

Rabid Cougar said:

I'f Midway had fallen "Germany first " would have been scrapped. Pearl Hawaii would have been made a bastion. The entire American fleet would have need shifted to Pacific coast. The Royal Navy would been left to handle the Atlantic by itself. Reason being? The next step after Pearl was The West Coast and the Japanese had the means of reaching it in force.
That's hilarious

So you don't agree, then fine. Could have just said that. I was expecting to find more civility on this forum than premium.
"I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna...I shall never surrender or retreat."
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.