Prague Recommendations?

2,913 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexCalTex
ClassOf17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Me and the fianc are going to Prague for our honeymoon. I'm Czech and would really love to learn more about the Czech Republic and Prague. Are there any good books you guy recommend?
aalan94
AG
Never read anything specifically Czech, but bear in mind that Czech Republic has changed so much over the years. Used to be a sizeable German population in Bohemia and the Sudetenland, but then there was this Hitler guy and he kicked the hornet's nest and then these Russian guys came in and kicked all those Germans out and made them go to some craphole in Germany like Leipzig and be starving East Germans instead of the Bohemians they were meant to be.

If you just like history and wars and stuff, read about the 30 years war. Battle of White Mountain. That was about the most important period historically for the Czech Republic.

Also, learn the word "defenestration." Prague invented it. Pretty gruesome. And they've had two of them. It's Game of Thrones worthy.

Definitely the castle is worth it. Also get to Karlstein if you can. Great castle there. I bought a Wehrmacht helmet from a farmer there. When I brought it back to Germany, they said, "You can't import this, it's war material." I said "No, it's historic material. I bought it in Czech Republic." "But it's German," the guard said. "Yes, I know," I said. "You left it there."

Actually, I bit my tongue and didn't say the last sentence, which is probably why I never had the pleasure of spending a night in the German Border Patrol's jail. But hey, this was 1998, back before they eliminated borders and Merkel promised the Germans a jihadist on every corner, so you probably won't ever have to deal with that.
ClassOf17
Wow that's badass! How did you come across that?!

Your first paragraph is exactly what I want to read about, from 1918-WWII. I know that's going to take years to research but a few books or documentaries would help me gather a general idea of what all happened.

Thanks for the recommendations as well. We're still a good 6 months out from going so we haven't looked up a lot other than the main attractions. Do you know any other places that aren't going to just be 'tourist attractions'? I'm not sure if we're just staying in Prague too. We may venture out a little.

Thanks again!
74OA
AG
As far as what to see in CR and the region, an easy way to start building a list of places and things that appeal to you is to check tour agencies online packages. They will show you highlights in a condensed, itemized format and you can cherry-pick those to research for your own trip.

For example, scroll down to the daily itinerary and hit "expand all days": TOUR
Corporal Punishment
AG
Have a nice dinner of sauerbraten and those fried circular things (croquettes?) in the old town near the Charles Bridge. Drink lots of Pilsner beer.
Cen-Tex
AG
If you have time before the visit, read a book about the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich. Then go visit the Church of St Cyril and St Methodious in Prague. The site where the assassination team was cornered by the Germans.
theJonatron
AG
there are so many cool things to do in Prague.

the beer garden that overlooks the city. letna zahradni restaurace
the absinthe bars and have a taste. my favorite was in a soviet themed bar near another one that had a public turntable...can't for the life of me remember the name (wonder why lol)
go check out strahov monastic brewery
go to lennon wall and take a picture
visit the cyril and Methodius cathedral (where the paratroopers that killed heydrich made their last stand)
I would take a guided tour. the square in the old town can give you a full afternoon of sight seeing, food, and drinks
It's fun to do bad things.
oldord
AG
"Never read anything specifically Czech, but bear in mind that Czech Republic has changed so much over the years. Used to be a sizeable German population in Bohemia and the Sudetenland, but then there was this Hitler guy and he kicked the hornet's nest and then these Russian guys came in and kicked all those Germans out and made them go to some craphole in Germany like Leipzig and be starving East Germans instead of the Bohemians they were meant to be."

Sorry, don't mean to be contrarian, but it wasn't the Russians who genocided the Germans in Bohemia.
That had been a festering issue for a long
Time. Look it up....
Rabid Cougar
AG
Abbott, West and Shiner, Texas are a lot closer.....
ClassOf17
Rabid Cougar said:

Family moved to West from Prague a few generations ago.
Rabid Cougar
AG
ClassOf17 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Family moved to West from Prague a few generations ago.
You one of those West baseball players?
Demosthenes81
AG
Watch out getting too close to any open windows.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Cab drivers rig their meters. How rigged? Try $80 for one mile. And NEVER go anywhere a cab driver recommends. Night clubs and mobsters pay cab drivers for every sucker they reel in. You may not die, but you will be mugged.

Constantly be cognizant of the exchange rate. Be aware of how much you're spending in actual Euros/Dollars.

Prostitutes will actively frisk you for valuables if they think you're drunk. They are proactive and will get in your space.

Learn to say "No" ("Ne") in Czech before you learn "Please" and "Thank You".

Stay semi sober and walk you should be fine. Of course Prague is a hell of a lot more fun if you're single.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
XpressAg09
AG
Prague has Uber.

Granted, I stayed in the city center for two days for work, but never felt in danger. Plus, enough places take cards, visitors will be good to go without crowns or euros.
ClassOf17
Hey fellas! So we're going to Prague, Vienna, and Budapest.

Any cool historical places to visit?
et98
AG
ClassOf17 said:

I've been to all 3 of those cities, and I posted on another site the exact info you're looking for a few years ago. Give me a day or two and I'll see what I can dig up if it's still there.
et98
AG
ClassOf17 said:

I finally found my info on Budapest, and I'll keep digging for my Prague & Vienna info.

I was in Budapest for nearly a month and never ran out of new things to do and see as a history buff. I don't know how long you will be there, but here is waaaaay more info than you were probably looking for.

My top 5 things:

* House of Terror - This might be the best museum I've ever been to, and I go to lots of museums! The building was the police headquarters prior to WWI, then home to the Arrow Cross Party (Hungarian version of the SS Gustapo), and finally the AVH (Hungarian version of the KGB). You'll tour the dungeon (more like a cave) where the torture chambers are. It's very hands-on and up close & personal. There is tons of info on the Nazi occupation and treatment of citizens, but its greater focus is on the Soviets. Lots of 1st-hand accounts of local victims and videos along with exhibits on other things like the gulags. It's brutal, honest, and blunt. Improving your understanding of how the Soviets took over, how communist societies actually operated as told by the participants and victims themselves, how the government oppressed its people & suppressed their uprisings, and how it all came tumbling down is the primary goal of this museum, and it did an impeccable job.

* Hospital in the Rock & Nuclear Bunker - 25,000 sq ft underground labyrinth of a secret hospital & fallout shelters. The original natural caves were used by the Nazis to hide war materials and serve as a secret hospital but was expanded dramatically by the Soviets in the Cold War to serve as a nuclear fallout shelter/weapons cache/hospital for the city. Wax figures in period costume were positioned to illustrate what the people looked like. You can only see it with a tour guide and you'll understand why once you see it. Extremely fascinating and informative. Very hands-on, interactive, and unique. It's located on the Buda side of the river.

* Memento Park - It's an outdoor museum about 7 or 8 miles out of town in the middle of nowhere that some refer to as "the graveyard of Soviet-era statues." By car, it's probably about 15 minutes, but by bus it was more like 30 or 45 minutes. It's a giant field with countless Soviet statues & monuments that had previously been all over Budapest. When Communism fell, mobs began tearing down the statues and destroying them; however, many were saved and secretly stored outside of the city for years before they were put on display at this location. The point is not to honor their Soviet history; it's to ensure they don't forget. Many of the statues are ridiculously gigantic. A couple of museums on site illustrate the effects of Soviet control and the 1956 Revolution, and a very symbolic giant wall and an iron gate separate the statues from the the museums. They are adding more to it all the time and I've read that there is far more planned for this place. It's almost entirely outdoors, so try to avoid a rainy day. As far as I know, there's nothing else like this anywhere in the world, so I found it extremely interesting.

* Holocaust Memorial Center - Focuses on Hungarian Holocaust victims. It does a great job of breaking down Hitler's rise to power and the methodical process by which he convinced the Hungarian people to alienate and eventually torture/murder the Hungarian Holocaust victims (or at least stand by as his devotees did it). The exhibits memorialize the victims themselves, celebrate the rebels who unsuccessfully fought back, and detail the atrocities. It's much better than any holocaust museums here in the US in my opinion.

* Great Synagogue & Hungarian Jewish Museum - World's 2nd largest synagogue with great tour guides who will explain everything. Attached is the Hungarian Jewish Museum & Memorial Garden that details the plight of the Jews during Nazi control of Budapest. Lots of great old photos and stories of the locals. The Tree of Life monument in the garden lists all the Holocaust victims of Budapest and was actually paid for by American actor Tony Curtis.

Other things to check out on the Pest side of the river:
Hungarian Parliament and the surrounding square - While the effects of the 1956 revolution can be seen all over the city, much of the brutality happened here. Statues & monuments to the victims of the revolution are all over this square, and many of them are located in the exact spot where the respective victim was killed. The official museum of the 1956 revolution is located underground below this square, but it was closed while I was there, but it's supposed to be great.

A couple of blocks from Parliament is Liberty Square which is known for two things. The controversial Hungarian War Memorial in the center of the square is an obelisk erected as a tribute to the Soviet military history who sacrificed their lives to rescue Budapest from the Nazis. There is also a statue of Ronald Reagan which was built to recognize his role in the collapse of the USSR and their gratitude for the US' help in saving them from the Soviets.

Hero's Square - Giant memorial to 14 Hungarian leaders of history including the 7 original Hungarian chieftains. It's the most visible & iconic monument in the city, but most people have no idea what it really is.

George Washington Statue - I just wandered up to it by accident. It was created prior to WWI as a sign of friendship & respect that Hungary had for us. Located in the Varosliget Park near Hero's Square.

First McDonald's in the Eastern Bloc - It's just a McDonald's, but it's also the very 1st western chain store of any kind in the Eastern Bloc (early 1988) as Communism was weakening. It's an interesting historical site & the ultimate real-life symbol of freedom (although there's nothing really to see or do there beyond eat fast food). And if you want to see the most extravagant McDonald's on Earth, Budapest has that one as well. It's in the old grand central station and looks more like a ballroom in the Palace of Versailles than a McDonald's.

Zwack Museum/Unicum Distillery - The museum at the Unicum distillery (the most famous Hungarian liquor) that not only covers the distillery's history, but it also focuses on how communism affected their distillery and private industry in general. Unfortunately it was closed on the day I was able to visit. I'm sure this isn't what you meant by historical places, but it sounds like an interesting take on the effects of Communism.

Hungarian National Museum - Pre-WWI history. Lots of ancient Roman artifacts, middle ages, and Habsburg Empire memorabilia.

Neprajzi Museum (Museum of Ethnography) - Mostly pre-WWI folk history & culture. I honestly barely remember this museum at all, but it might be something you're more interested in.

Other things to check out on the Buda side of the river:
Cave Church - A small old church hidden in a hillside cavern. Extremely rustic (it's literally a cave with a few pews and an altar in it). Monks still worship there. If you have time, it's really fascinating just because it's so different.

Matthias Church (Matyas Templom) - Most extravagant cathedral in the city. Tons of statues, monuments, and historical motifs honoring saints, kings, Biblical figures, & war heroes. There are tons of other cathedrals in the city, just like all European cities, but this one was my favorite.

Budapest History Museum (Budapesti Torteneti Muzeum) - Great for prehistoric, ancient, & medieval history.
TexCalTex
Museum of Communism in central Prague is great. Every low information Gen Y & Gen Zer should spend a couple of hours in it to see the real truth about what they're being indoctrinated with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.