Ballard to search for Earhart's crash site

3,852 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
BrazosBendHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If he can't find it, nobody can ...
Link
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Not on beach in Majuro, Marshall Islands - I looked !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
CanyonAg77
AG
Good luck to him. Lots of clues that say this could be the site, forced landing on the beach, high tide floating the wreckage into deep water, the possibility that she used the radio a day or so after the disappearance

In general, one of those historic mysteries I enjoy readings about.

If you are ever in the vicinity, visit her childhood home in Atchison, Kansas. Beautiful setting on the bluffs above the Missouri River.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I can't believe that Ballard is already 77!! Lord!
huisachel
she was a minimally competent publicity hound who outran her luck.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Had to hit a small island - miss equaled death !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
CanyonAg77
AG
huisachel said:

How dare you insult the first woman to fly across the Atlantic (tossing her cookies in the back of the plane)!!!
aalan94
AG
It's a really hard thing to find. If you guess the right Island even, I still think you have a low chance. The plane probably ditched right close to shore, and it's almost certainly been pulled to sea. But perhaps he can find it magnetically.
BrazosBendHorn
huisachel said:

She was the first woman to fly the Atlantic solo in 1932 ... she freely admitted to being a passenger on the 1928 flight over the Atlantic ... also the first aviator to fly solo from Honolulu to Oakland, CA. Also flew nonstop from Mexico City to New York ... and set seven women's speed and distance aviation records between 1930 and 1935 ... I think there was a little more there than you give her credit for ...

"She was a born flier, with a delicate touch on the stick."
~ Gen. Leigh Wade
aalan94
AG
Quote:

~ Gen. Leigh Wade
I will restrain my inner 13-year-old.
BrazosBendHorn
aalan94 said:

Quote:

~ Gen. Leigh Wade
I have no such inhibitions ...

Isabelle: You pilots are such... men.
Capt. Joe Patroni: They don't call it the cockpit for nothing, honey.

~ The Concorde / Airport '79
CanyonAg77
AG
BrazosBendHorn said:

aalan94 said:

Quote:

~ Gen. Leigh Wade
I have no such inhibitions ...

Isabelle: You pilots are such... men.
Capt. Joe Patroni: They don't call it the cockpit for nothing, honey.

~ The Concorde / Airport '79

Unless it's an all female crew

Then it's the.....

Box Office
WC94
AG
I'll join in.
What do blondes and airplanes have in common?

Little black boxes.
Ag_of_08
AG
aalan94 said:

It's a really hard thing to find. If you guess the right Island even, I still think you have a low chance. The plane probably ditched right close to shore, and it's almost certainly been pulled to sea. But perhaps he can find it magnetically.

Depends on what kind of bottom it settled on, how deep, etc. They're still finding shipwrecks made out of wood, not a whole lot bigger than that plane, sitting on the sea bed in places.

If nothing else, itwill be interesting to see a detailed sonar/magnetic scan of the area.
30wedge
As the OP said, if anyone can find it he can. I realize it is a huge task but with the technology today, perhaps he will find it and no telling what else. They found the HMS Erebus and the HMS Terror so who knows.
JABQ04
AG
Wonder if he work with Paul Allen's crew. The work they're doing is amazing.
YZ250
Earhart went down on July 2. Just one week later on July 9 planes from the Colorado search Gardner Island and don't see a plane in shallow water. Yet a few months later in October a British officer takes a picture which has a tiny speck that potentially shows the landing gear sticking out of the water? No one noticed it at the time? Were the planes from the Colorado too focused on the island itself and missed it? Maybe it is just the landing gear in the water and not the rest of the plane? I also doubt that they can blow up a less than 1mm speck and get the image they do. I'm impressed if that is in fact possible. I hope they find the plane but I'm doubtful.
aalan94
AG
YZ250, I don't think that's the plane, but tides and even currents might greatly effect what's visible on that island at a given time.

How clear is the water there? Seems like if it's very clear, any plane within a short distance of the shore would be easy to spot from the air. But some places have oddball phenomenon making them more murky. Definitely intriguing mystery either way.
BrazosBendHorn
Meanwhile, on a somewhat related topic, the remains of the RMS Titanic are being consumed by the sea and could disappear in a few decades, if not sooner ...

https://www.sciencealert.com/first-crewed-dive-to-titanic-in-years-reveals-shocking-decay-as-ocean-reclaims-wreck

This is apparently the first time in nearly 15 years that a crew has gone down to view the wreck ...
Rabid Cougar
AG
BrazosBendHorn said:

If he can't find it, nobody can ...
Link
Didn't find anything.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.