Last TexsPearl Harbor Survivor Passes

1,808 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross posted to Military Board. Surprised this got so little attention.

Link to story

Aaron Cook, originally from Ft. Worth, settled in Houston after WWII. Enlisted in the Navy after his 18th birthday in 1940. Died last Saturday. Link above includes video from his visit to the Bush Library (College Station) in 2017.

Obituary

Quote:

Aaron W. Cook, Aviation Ordnance Chief, USN, was born on November 27, 1922, in Ft. Worth, TX. He enlisted in the Navy on December 5, 1940, after completing boot camp in San Diego. He served in the Navy from April 10, 1941 until May 15, 1946. He was awarded the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal with two stars and the American Defense medal with "Base" clasp.

He was on Ford Island the morning of the infamous attack of December 7, 1941. He would often recount his memory of being in front of the Administration Building that morning, seeing the low-level first flight of the Japanese bombers dropping their bombs which destroyed the PBY hangars. He would also recount that they initially assumed that it was a "practice raid" until they were struck by the concussion of the explosions, then realizing that they were under attack.
If you Google Aaron Clark Pearl Harbor, a ton of articles come up, apparently he was able to attend several reunions and commemorations in the last few years.
aalan94
AG
I saw this, but I don't think he's the last one FROM Texas, only the last one living IN Texas. My buddy from A&M's grandfather is a Pearl Harbor survivor, and I believe he was born and raised in Texas, but he retired to Florida.
sonnysixkiller
AG
It's hard to see them all passing we need their stories and patriotism now more than ever.
ATX_AG_08
AG
I went to the PH Memorial a few years ago. One of the most cherished parts was having the opportunity to shake a number of the survivors hands and just say thank you.
Gator92
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/obituaries/2019/08/30/jim-leavelle-detective-in-historic-photo-of-lee-harvey-oswald-s-shooting-dies-at-99/

CanyonAg77
AG
Yeah, that sort of blew up the news story's assertion, too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.