Red Arrow Division, The Great War

2,756 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 30wedge
30wedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finishing up a few things today and tomorrow then heading up to Wisconsin for the 100th annual reunion of the 32nd Infantry Division, also known as the Red Arrow Division because their insignia was, and is, a red arrow piercing a horizontal line. This came about because they pierced every German defensive line they faced, including the Hindenburg Line. The division was given a nom de guerre when a French general watched the fury with which they fought and advanced against the Germans. They became known as "Les Terribles" after that. They fought and defeated 23 German divisions during the Great War.

My grandfather fought with the 32nd, a division made up of National Guard units from Wisconsin and Michigan, though they trained in Texas. Many regiments of the 32nd were awarded the Croix de Guerre, including the 128th, of which he was a member. He was gassed, I think in the Meuse-Argonne offensive and complications from that resulted in an early death. He died before I was born, died while my dad was fighting on Saipan, so I never got to know him.

This time last year, I was in France and Belgium and visited some of the places the 32nd saw action. At the reunion they will be showing a film "Dawn of the Red Arrow" that I want to see. Long way to go to see a movie, but not quite as far as those boys traveled, and hopefully I won't be getting shot at or shelled.
clarythedrill
There is a lot of history in some of the National Guard Divisions, including the 29th and 28th. I once read a paper on how the Army determined which ones to keep on the Active duty rolls after the war, and it was pretty interesting. I believe the 29th is still listed as the first to be called up as a full division if needed based on its history and war record. I wish I could remember what article that all was in.
terata
AG
Correct me if this is wrong, but the 32d Div fought in the battle of Buna, didn't they?
30wedge
You are correct, they did.
JR_83
My grandfather was in the 32nd in WWI as well. One of the stories that I heard was that they were reconnoitering one night and heard German voices and decided that discretion was the better part of valor. Grandpaw also said that his platoon/company/whatever was scheduled to go to the front the day the armistice was signed. I have a really cool poster (?) he had called "A Soldiers Creed" that also had the red arrow division logo on it. Hmm, probably ought to get that reframed.
30wedge
JR_83 said:

My grandfather was in the 32nd in WWI as well. One of the stories that I heard was that they were reconnoitering one night and heard German voices and decided that discretion was the better part of valor. Grandpaw also said that his platoon/company/whatever was scheduled to go to the front the day the armistice was signed. I have a really cool poster (?) he had called "A Soldiers Creed" that also had the red arrow division logo on it. Hmm, probably ought to get that reframed.
Very cool about the poster you have and that your grandfather was in the 32nd. Yeah, as I understand it several were killed on November 11th.
Rabid Cougar
AG
32nd Division trainer right here in Waco at Camp MacArthur! As many as 45,000 soldiers here at one time with over 1,200 buildings including it own airfield and train.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

32nd Division trainer right here in Waco at Camp MacArthur! As many as 45,000 soldiers here at one time with over 1,200 buildings including it own airfield and train.

Images
Rabid Cougar
AG
30wedge
It was a nice trip up to Wisconsin. The reunion though only had about 30 in attendance, but the food was great as were the people. The proceeds were to be given to some widows of those in the 32nd who are in assisted living facilities. The movie "Dawn of the Red Arrow" was very well done. They are showing it in various places in Wisconsin and Michigan but after Veterans Day it will be uploaded on YouTube. It told of one regimental commander (I think it was of the 128th which was my Grandfather's) getting a visit from some officer who disapproved of how his regiment looked. They were filthy, unshaven, tattered clothing, etc. because they had been in combat for some time. The commander told him to leave and if he came back he would personally kill him. Didn't sit well with him so he reported him to General Haan. Haan told the commander of the 128th to keep doing what he was doing, and suggested that the whiner not come into contact with the 128th going forward!

Rabid Cougar, thanks for posting the pics.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.