Midway(2019) Movie Trailer

6,652 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by coupland boy
PaulSimonsGhost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Suprising new film considering the Hollywood anti-military climate. This could be another Hollywood **** show like Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor. But as a Navy veteran this trailer still gave me goose bumps.

Clearly a battle in which God was on our side, it's been a fascination of mine since sitting in on a lecture at the Naval War College years ago.

I still tear up when I consider the bravery of those initial Avenger squadrons. Knowing you're gone die in a very grotesque way and doing it anyway...

We would have won in the Pacific no matter what (simply look at how many carriers were in our fleet in '45 versus '42). But it would have been a longer engagement certainly.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
JABQ04
AG
I have hopes but I'm sure I'll be disappointed. I'm still going to see it in theatres though.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
JABQ04 said:

I have hopes but I'm sure I'll be disappointed. I'm still going to see it in theatres though.

Looks like they went all in on budget.

Covers Pearl Harbor AND Doolittle's raid. Did you see those B-24's strapped to the carrier deck?

Big scope.

Don't **** this up Hollywood.

Steve McQueen
JABQ04
AG
Noticed Pearl Harbor, Doolittle's raid and Midway. Wonder how long the movie is if it's going to cover all them. I had high expectations for Pearl Harbor in 2001, and can over look a stupid ass love story, but i have a feeling they're going to Hollywood this one up.
cbr
AG
Thanks for posting. Will watch no matter what, but just from the trailer its obviously full of really crappy and historically innacrate cgi.

They should just make it a cartoon.

Hopefully it will sill be good.

But i tell you what, pearl, midway to doolittle is really hard to pack in 15-20 hours, much less 3
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
JABQ04 said:

Noticed Pearl Harbor, Doolittle's raid and Midway. Wonder how long the movie is if it's going to cover all them. I had high expectations for Pearl Harbor in 2001, and can over look a stupid ass love story, but i have a feeling they're going to Hollywood this one up.

Watched the trailer again and I noticed a repeat character dive bombing a cruiser and later surfacing after apparently bailing out. So he lives.

Couldn't tell if he was flying an Avenger or a Wildcat. The first 2 Avenger squadrons all were KIA. The Avenger was a very easy plane to shoot down on a torpedo run.

So he, (the character) by default, would have to have been in the second group that stumbled upon the Japanese fleet or the third American wave that finished them off.

I dunno, my memories hazy but I'll probably watch a YouTube video to refresh my mind.

Either way, the battle forced both sides to retreat to their corners. When 1944 rolled around Japan didn't stand a chance. I believe our fleet had like 40 some odd carriers including converted ships.

We became God's wrath incarnate.

Steve McQueen
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

JABQ04 said:

Watched the trailer again and I noticed a repeat character dive bombing a cruiser and later surfacing after apparently bailing out. So he lives.

Couldn't tell if he was flying an Avenger or a Wildcat. The first 2 Avenger squadrons all were KIA. The Avenger was a very easy plane to shoot down on a torpedo run.

So he, (the character) by default, would have to have been in the second group that stumbled upon the Japanese fleet or the third American wave that finished them off.

I dunno, my memories hazy but I'll probably watch a YouTube video to refresh my mind.

Either way, the battle forced both sides to retreat to their corners. When 1944 rolled around Japan didn't stand a chance. I believe our fleet had like 40 some odd carriers including converted ships.

Didn't Fighting Texas Aggie George Gay get shot down in the original wave and survive with a front row seat to the entire battle?
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
We need titan to jump in and opine.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Well, great. Apparently I had the planes wrong. Or at least confused.

It was a Dauntless squadron, not Avenger.

I'll just leave this here and bail from my own thread.

Steve McQueen
JABQ04
AG
George Gay was a lucky lucky man. Three downed pilots/aircrew were fish from the sea by the Japanese, interrogated and then were bound, had weights tied to them and then thrown overboard in the Pacific.
BrazosBendHorn
PaulSimonsGhost said:

The Torpedo squadrons were mostly flying TBD Devastators ... the most advanced plane of its type when it was introduced in 1937 but badly outclassed by 1942 ... (evidently there was one group of TBF Avengers in the fight) ...

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/douglas-tbd-1-devastator/

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Douglas-Devastator.html

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
BrazosBendHorn said:

PaulSimonsGhost said:

The Torpedo squadrons were mostly flying TBD Devastators ... the most advanced plane of its type when it was introduced in 1937 but badly outclassed by 1942 ... (evidently there was one group of TBF Avengers in the fight) ...

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/douglas-tbd-1-devastator/

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Douglas-Devastator.html

The TBF Avenger was a new aircraft and was available in limited numbers in June 1942. Midway is where the Avenger saw its first action, and the results were not good, losing 5 of 6 aircraft. That is not an indictment on the Avenger, however, as it saw much success over the next 3 years as the USN developed better tactics and the crews gained more experience.

The TBD Devastator, as you point out, was obsolete by Midway. But I think it is the inclusion of this torpedo bomber in this iteration of the Midway movie that gives me some hope for this movie; that indicates the filmmakers at least took some time to determine which aircraft were actually involved in the battle.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Let's hope titan and his Shattered Sword co-author were consulted....
BrazosBendHorn
PaulSimonsGhost said:

Covers Pearl Harbor AND Doolittle's raid. Did you see those B-24's strapped to the carrier deck?

B-25 Mitchell bombers (2 engines, 68-foot wingspan, 10 tons empty, medium bomber), not B-24 Liberators (4 engines, 110-foot wingspan, 16 tons empty, heavy bomber) ...

This is a B-24. Good luck trying to fly this off a carrier ...
mullokmotx
AG
Looked like the guy saying "Washington is wrong" is Joe Rochefort. I'm dismayed by the inaccuracy in movies like this, but if it can convey to young people in some way what Americans of that generation did and the price paid, and even that we were at war with Japan, then I'm okay with it.
The opening scene in the trailer makes it look like there was family housing on Ford Island since the house was right next to Battleship Row. Was there family housing on Ford Island in 1941?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
mullokmotx said:

Looked like the guy saying "Washington is wrong" is Joe Rochefort. I'm dismayed by the inaccuracy in movies like this, but if it can convey to young people in some way what Americans of that generation did and the price paid, and even that we were at war with Japan, then I'm okay with it.
The opening scene in the trailer makes it look like there was family housing on Ford Island since the house was right next to Battleship Row. Was there family housing on Ford Island in 1941?
I'd agree on that character likely being Rochefort. I never expect any historical accuracy in movies like this given Hollywood's track record, so if I can get even a smidgen of somewhat accurate history, such as TBD Devastators being involved in the Battle of Midway (reference the 1976 movie where there was no Devastator mentioned or shown, instead using what I think was a Vindicator in the Torpedo Squadron 8), then I'm happy.

As for family housing on Ford Island, I found this book, which I have not read so will not vouch for its accuracy, that suggests there was housing such as that located close to Battleship Row.

https://pacifichistoricparksbookstore.org/products/401374

and then this web site ...

https://historichawaii.org/ford-island-background/ford-island-residents-on-december-7-1941/
aggiedata
AG
Just toured the USS Midway in San Diego. George Gay narrated a 15 minute movie about the battle.

Our guide pointed out the reason we don't have an elevator running from the top to the bottom of the Midway is we learned from that battle how an elevator shaft is a very bad way for a bomb to travel.

https://m.ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=10

Quote:

This was one of the many reasons why she was fatally attacked at Midway on 4 Jun 1942 at the hands of American dive bombers. The fatal shot was scored by American pilot Lieutenant Richard Best whose bomb landed at the aft edge of the middle elevator.

Smithjg
I'd bet that is Gay that pops up out of the water at the 1:25 mark.....
Gator92
AG
Torpedo 8 had received 6 Avengers just prior to Midway. They were flown from Pearl to Midway prior to the battle. Five were lost and one was shot up badly, but managed to return to Midway using trim tabs. While Gay was credited as the only survivor from Torpedo 8, there were actually 3. Bert Earnest and his radio man gunner Harry Farrier.

Gay launched from Hornet w/ Torpedo 8 in TBD Devastators lead by Lt Cmdr John Waldron.
BQ78
AG
Maybe on a modern carrier with a 30 knot wind and the boat going flank speed.
JR_83
and no island
74OA
AG
XUSCR said:

PaulSimonsGhost said:

JABQ04 said:

Didn't Fighting Texas Aggie George Gay get shot down in the original wave and survive with a front row seat to the entire battle?
George Gay
BQ_90
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

JABQ04 said:

2 months later we started Battle for Guadalcanal. Hardly retreating to a corner.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
74OA said:

XUSCR said:

PaulSimonsGhost said:

JABQ04 said:

George Gay
So George Gay won the Navy Cross?!? That seems worthy of celebrating in some way.
Bluejacket
Hi, I found your dialogue while searching the internet trying to see whether anyone had previewed the movie and done any fact checking. I am not an Aggie, but am a brother in arms, having been in the USN for 4 years.

I have been studying the beginnings of the war in the Pacific theater, paying attention to the effects of intelligence on decision making. "Tora Tora Tora" appears to have made a fairly accurate portrayal of events. To a slightly lesser extent so did the 1976 version of "Midway", but it had to omit significant occurrences to keep the length reasonable. For example, that movie did not mention anything about the four torpedo equipped B-26 medium bombers that engaged the Japanese carriers early in the battle and what happened to them. The trailer for the 2019 version of "Midway" suggests to me that the Hollywood screenwriters have probably gotten outside the box like they did in "Pearl Harbor". One thing that one sees when there are a lot of computer generated images is that the aircraft motions are too rapid. Back in 1942, aircraft just were not that fast or agile.

In addition, Hollywood screenwriters tend to keep things overly simple and overly dramatic. One is left with the impression that Pearl Harbor was the low point and that Midway was a complete turning of the tide. The truth is it was a series of events over months rather than one big event. Screenwriters like to tout how many carriers get taken out, but what turned out to be more important in the long run was that Japan could not replace her experienced aircrews, whereas the US training program could replace ours. By the end of 1942, over half of the 900+ Japanese flight crewmen from the Pearl Harbor raid were dead and not replaced.

To put the Battle of Midway in perspective, here is a summary of what I have read happened in 1942. In February 1942 two US carriers attacked airfields in the Gilbert and Marshall islands, doing little damage, but it did surprise the Japanese that the US was able to go on the offensive so soon after Pearl Harbor. In March 1942, a coast watcher reported that the Japanese were constructing an airfield on Guadalcanal. In April 1942, Doolittle and 15 other aircrews attacked Japan in deck launched B-25 medium bombers. This caused the Japanese to react. The threefold Japanese plan was to 1. invade Port Moresby and use it as a forward base to bomb Australia, and 2. extend their control down the Solomon Island chain to cut the shipping lanes between the US and Australia using land based Japanese bombers, and 3. lure the US aircraft carriers into a trap and eliminate them. We don't talk about it much, but the Battle of the Coral Sea in May 1942, played a significant role in the outcome. The two US carriers caused the Port Moresby invasion force to turn back - this showed that the Japanese could be stopped, and the damage inflicted by US carriers prevented one of the Japanese carriers from being available for the Japanese attack on Midway. In the battle of Midway in June 1942, three US carriers sunk four Japanese carriers. One US carrier was lost. In early August 1942, US Marines invaded Guadalcanal and captured the airfield. After two more carrier battles - the Battle of the Eastern Solomons in late August 1942 and the Battle of Santa Cruz in October 1942 - the US was down to one operational but seriously damaged carrier in the Pacific theater (from October 26 to December 5). As a result, control for Guadalcanal and the sea around it and air over it was contested daily. These months were, in my opinion, the low point of the war. The tide turned in late December 1942 when the Japanese forces got orders to withdraw from Guadalcanal.

Thanks for letting me read and post.
Bluejacket
Martin Cash
AG
I'll go see it, but I'm having a hard time visualizing Woody Harrelson as Nimitz.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Bluejacket said:

Hi, I found your dialogue while searching the internet trying to see whether anyone had previewed the movie and done any fact checking. I am not an Aggie, but am a brother in arms, having been in the USN for 4 years.

I have been studying the beginnings of the war in the Pacific theater, paying attention to the effects of intelligence on decision making. "Tora Tora Tora" appears to have made a fairly accurate portrayal of events. To a slightly lesser extent so did the 1976 version of "Midway", but it had to omit significant occurrences to keep the length reasonable. For example, that movie did not mention anything about the four torpedo equipped B-26 medium bombers that engaged the Japanese carriers early in the battle and what happened to them. The trailer for the 2019 version of "Midway" suggests to me that the Hollywood screenwriters have probably gotten outside the box like they did in "Pearl Harbor". One thing that one sees when there are a lot of computer generated images is that the aircraft motions are too rapid. Back in 1942, aircraft just were not that fast or agile.

In addition, Hollywood screenwriters tend to keep things overly simple and overly dramatic. One is left with the impression that Pearl Harbor was the low point and that Midway was a complete turning of the tide. The truth is it was a series of events over months rather than one big event. Screenwriters like to tout how many carriers get taken out, but what turned out to be more important in the long run was that Japan could not replace her experienced aircrews, whereas the US training program could replace ours. By the end of 1942, over half of the 900+ Japanese flight crewmen from the Pearl Harbor raid were dead and not replaced.

To put the Battle of Midway in perspective, here is a summary of what I have read happened in 1942. In February 1942 two US carriers attacked airfields in the Gilbert and Marshall islands, doing little damage, but it did surprise the Japanese that the US was able to go on the offensive so soon after Pearl Harbor. In March 1942, a coast watcher reported that the Japanese were constructing an airfield on Guadalcanal. In April 1942, Doolittle and 15 other aircrews attacked Japan in deck launched B-25 medium bombers. This caused the Japanese to react. The threefold Japanese plan was to 1. invade Port Moresby and use it as a forward base to bomb Australia, and 2. extend their control down the Solomon Island chain to cut the shipping lanes between the US and Australia using land based Japanese bombers, and 3. lure the US aircraft carriers into a trap and eliminate them. We don't talk about it much, but the Battle of the Coral Sea in May 1942, played a significant role in the outcome. The two US carriers caused the Port Moresby invasion force to turn back - this showed that the Japanese could be stopped, and the damage inflicted by US carriers prevented one of the Japanese carriers from being available for the Japanese attack on Midway. In the battle of Midway in June 1942, three US carriers sunk four Japanese carriers. One US carrier was lost. In early August 1942, US Marines invaded Guadalcanal and captured the airfield. After two more carrier battles - the Battle of the Eastern Solomons in late August 1942 and the Battle of Santa Cruz in October 1942 - the US was down to one operational but seriously damaged carrier in the Pacific theater (from October 26 to December 5). As a result, control for Guadalcanal and the sea around it and air over it was contested daily. These months were, in my opinion, the low point of the war. The tide turned in late December 1942 when the Japanese forces got orders to withdraw from Guadalcanal.

Bluejacket
Welcome and thanks for your service.

Have you read Shattered Sword? One of the co-authors is a poster on here whose handle is titan.
BQ78
AG
The 1 Marines would agree with you on the low point of the war, my buddy who passed five years ago said the marines would look forlornly from Bloody Ridge as the navy pulled out every dusk and left the waters around Guadalcanal to the Japanese navy, who then bombarded them unmercifully. He said for weeks all they had to eat was captured Japanese rice. After leaving Guadalcanal he never ate rice ever again.
Bodie Broadus
Great post. Thank you for swinging by and contributing. I'd like to see more from you. -signed, fellow 10 year vet of the Navy.
Vestal_Flame
AG
Martin Cash said:

I'll go see it, but I'm having a hard time visualizing Woody Harrelson as Nimitz.
That's why they call it acting.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

mullokmotx said:

I'd agree on that character likely being Rochefort. I never expect any historical accuracy in movies like this given Hollywood's track record, so if I can get even a smidgen of somewhat accurate history, such as TBD Devastators being involved in the Battle of Midway (reference the 1976 movie where there was no Devastator mentioned or shown, instead using what I think was a Vindicator in the Torpedo Squadron 8), then I'm happy.

As for family housing on Ford Island, I found this book, which I have not read so will not vouch for its accuracy, that suggests there was housing such as that located close to Battleship Row.

https://pacifichistoricparksbookstore.org/products/401374

and then this web site ...

https://historichawaii.org/ford-island-background/ford-island-residents-on-december-7-1941/

Was on Ford Island for 3 weeks - don't remember housing - doubtful but possible .

Didn't see Arizona either - no transportation but doubt if at that time it was set up as a memorial.

After seeing a late movie on base and missing the last bus to the barracks, we crossed the runway

to save time - midway, searchlights were trained on us and loudspeakers ordering us to hustle off

no repercussions ! There were no planes in sight but a million stars .
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Bodie Broadus
Love Ford Island!
ScottishFire
AG
Bluejacket said:

Bluejacket

Welcome to TexAgs!
Martin Cash
AG
Vestal_Flame said:

Martin Cash said:

True, Danny Devito is a great actor, but I wouldn't cast him to play Larry Bird.
Belton Ag
AG
Martin Cash said:

Vestal_Flame said:

Martin Cash said:

True, Danny Devito is a great actor, but I wouldn't cast him to play Larry Bird.
I had a hard time visualizing Woody Harrelson as Nimitz as well, but after seeing his brief appearances in the trailers he does kind of favor Nimitz just a little.

We'll see how it goes but Harrelson is actually a pretty good actor and I think he pulls it off.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.