Midway Movie

2,137 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gunny456
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apparently Hollywood decided they needed to make an updated movie about the Battle of Midway.

[url][/url]

I was 9 when the original movie came out in 1976. My dad took me to see it at the old Tower theater that was in Houston, maybe in the Greenway area? That movie was my Star Wars before Star Wars ever came out, considering my life-long love of WWII warbirds. Only saw it that one time (although I do recall on the trip we took to DisneyWorld later that same year, I saw the movie on a marquee when we were stopped in the New Orleans area and my dad shot down the idea of seeing it again).

The 1976 movie was full of archival footage that was flat out wrong - there were no Hellcats, Helldivers, Corsairs, and especially Panthers available in 1942. The Panther is clearly visible at the end when Charleton Heston crashes his Dauntless into the aircraft carrier deck, and we see a nose cone of a jet fighter come rolling out of the conflagration. The movie also had a great musical score by John Williams, the theme for which the Fighting Texas Aggie Band plays at nearly every football game. But to its discredit, it features a completely unnecessary love story that I hope this new movie does not attempt to recreate.

From watching that trailer, it appears that the movie should be quite long, as it looks to cover events from Pearl Harbor through the Doolittle raid and then Midway. Visually it looks quite good. But the guy who made the movie has been kind of all over the map in terms of quality - I love The Patriot (historically not that accurate though it may be) and Independence Day, but loathed the Independence Day sequel and 10000 BC. I just hope this movie is closer to The Patriot than 10000 BC.
Bighunter43
AG
I was 10 and saw it in Austin at Highland Mall....it had some kind of surround sound prior to THX. I couldn't get enough of WWII as a kid, and this movie was perfect for me. (My mom dropped me and two friends off as she went shopping.....different times for sure!). At the time, I didn't realize the archival footage wasn't accurate, so it added to the realization for me!! Got a chill when they used the hand crank alarm siren just before the Japs attacked Midway Island. I didn't mind the love story side show too much, as they don't spend too much time on it like Pearl Harbor! It also helps deliver a great line...."Tom is a great pilot....he just has one problem.....enemy identification!" Also another great line before attacking a Jap carrier...."commander we don't have any bombs"..."I know, but we can take some heat off the guys that do!"....movie might not be accurate, but it was great childhood memories and I still watch it today!
ABATTBQ87
AG
I was 11 and it is the only movie that my dad took me to watch; I remember the opening when the engines are revving up on the flight deck and the curtain of the theatre was pulling back. I don't remember the theatre in Fort Worth, but it was close the south side of town.
Rabid Cougar
AG
SDB's ruled the day.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

SDB's ruled the day.

Sure did. With a major assist from the TBD's drawing the Japanese CAP down to sea level, I might add.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Rabid Cougar said:

SDB's ruled the day.

Sure did. With a major assist from the TBD's drawing the Japanese CAP down to sea level, I might add.
Proved you didn't need torps to sink carriers. It didn't hurt that IJN damage control was crap and fire prevention systems were non existent.

Comparison of carriers.
BQ78
AG
If Tora, Tora, Tora became Pearl Harbor and this Midway is the spawn of the old Midway similarly, OMG.

We'll have a lead actress playing a lesbian navy pilot sinking most of the Jap carriers.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
If that was to be the case, I'd hopefully know if prior to buying a ticket, or I'd do something I've only done once before in a movie theater - I'd walk out without finishing the viewing.
pagerman @ work
AG
I smell Pearl Harbor (Two Guys, A Girl and an Air Raid).

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm really afraid I'm not.
dcbowers
AG
Saw it at age 10 at the old Cinema I and II by Skaggs Albertson's in College Station. I remember they also showed a film about alien abductions that really creeped me out .
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ_90
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Rabid Cougar said:

SDB's ruled the day.

Read Shattered Sword. Jap air cap wasn't really drawn down as much as it was poorly utilized, lacked command and control, and had poor radios to be be redirected.

The entire book is looks at how the IJN screwed up Midway from the start

Also concludes that even if ever US carrier was lost Japan wouldn't have been able to hold on to Midway and would lose the war no matter what
Gunny456
AG
Saw it in San Antonio. I was 22 and had met George Gay two weeks prior at an CAF Airshow in Harlingen, Texas.
He went to dinner with us that night and we remained friends till his passing.
He was class of 1939 and I have some cool pictures of his aircraft with his signature.
Cool memory that I think of every time I see Midway.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.