How Would a Tank Do Against a Nuke?

3,948 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by $240 Worth of Pudding
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
well a brit tank was left 350 yards from the epicenter of a nuke test.

Didn't do nearly as much damage as I would have guessed. The tank was refitted and eventually served in Vietnam.
JABQ04
AG
I don't care about the tank. No way in hell the crew survives.
Rabid Cougar
AG
They would have to use oven cleaner on the inside of the tank.
cbr
AG
Holy **** im wondering what temp/overpressure could have blown the hatches open.
CanyonAg77
AG
The earth and timber bunkers around the Trinity test were about 5.7 miles from ground zero. They had a modified tank that went to ground zero immediately after the test to take samples. I can't find info on how far out that tank was at detonation
Aggie12B
AG
The tank might survive but the DATs inside the tank would be F***ed!
clarythedrill
Aggie12B said:

You better watch your mouth, picket pounder!!!!!!!
Aggie12B
AG
clarythedrill said:

Aggie12B said:

Did my DAT statement hit too close to home?
The only Soldier I failed to bring home alive from all 5 of my deployments was killed because a DAT took a shot 20 degrees past his right range fan so he could "get his kill on." Those are the words that came out during the investigation. Individually, there are some tankers who are ok, but collectively they are DATs.
EMY92
AG
From nuke standards, it was a small blast, a little over half the size of Hiroshima.
clarythedrill
Aggie12B said:

clarythedrill said:

Aggie12B said:

The only Soldier I failed to bring home alive from all 5 of my deployments was killed because a DAT took a shot 20 degrees past his right range fan so he could "get his kill on." Those are the words that came out during the investigation. Individually, there are some tankers who are ok, but collectively they are DATs.
Somebody needs to calibrate their joke meter. That somebody is you. Sorry your Soldier got killed, but I have lost Soldiers in combat too. Things happen, unfortunately. The gunner can only see what is in his sights, and when in a higher magnification, even less.

P.S. Combat engineers are some of the dumbest and most slovenly Soldiers I have ever been around in my experience. See, I can paint with a wide brush too.
Aggie12B
AG
clarythedrill said:

Aggie12B said:

clarythedrill said:

Aggie12B said:

Somebody needs to calibrate their joke meter. That somebody is you. Sorry your Soldier got killed, but I have lost Soldiers in combat too. Things happen, unfortunately. The gunner can only see what is in his sights, and when in a higher magnification, even less.

P.S. Combat engineers are some of the dumbest and most slovenly Soldiers I have ever been around in my experience. See, I can paint with a wide brush too.
My Soldier getting killed by the tanker had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GUNNER ONLY BEING ABLE TO SEE WHAT IS IN HIS SIGHTS. IT HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE GUNNER GOING 20 DEGREES BEYOND THE EXTENT OF HIS RIGHT RANGE FAN TO TAKE THE SHOT. If he had stayed within his range fans, he wouldn't have taken the shot and my Soldier wouldn't have died.

I know Soldiers die. That's not what I have the problem with, it's how it happened. I won't argue that 12Bs do some stupid s***.
clarythedrill
Aggie12B said:

clarythedrill said:

Aggie12B said:

clarythedrill said:

Aggie12B said:

My Soldier getting killed by the tanker had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GUNNER ONLY BEING ABLE TO SEE WHAT IS IN HIS SIGHTS. IT HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE GUNNER GOING 20 DEGREES BEYOND THE EXTENT OF HIS RIGHT RANGE FAN TO TAKE THE SHOT. If he had stayed within his range fans, he wouldn't have taken the shot and my Soldier wouldn't have died.

I know Soldiers die. That's not what I have the problem with, it's how it happened. I won't argue that 12Bs do some stupid s***.
What you don't understand is that there is no way to judge what is 20 degrees and what is 2 degrees when inside a tank. We don't even deal with degrees, we deal with mils. When looking through a sight that may have been set anywhere between 10 power and 50 power, the concept of "degrees' does not exist, as the gunner can only see what is in his sight. If you are outside the "line of sight" within whichever sight the gunner was using, you have no idea how close anybody or anything is to your gun-target line. Even when given a Target Reference Point, if you move the vehicle at all, everything in reference to the TRP changes, and in combat, things happen quickly.

Sorry for the loss of your Soldier, but when dealing with tanks, one would be wise to give them the widest berth possible. Not just from the vehicle and what it can do, but the main gun and its effects to those around it when fired.
Aggie12B
AG
I'm just saying if you are the gunner in an Abrams and you are in an over-watch position, I think you have an obligation of knowing where all the friendly troops that you are over watching are before you take shot, especially if you're in the same task force.

Guess i should be thankful that the DAT didn't fire a SABOT round, otherwise I probably would have lost more than 1 Soldier.
Guitarsoup
AG
JABQ04 said:

What if they were inside a refrigerator inside the tank?
JABQ04
AG
Guitarsoup said:

JABQ04 said:

What if they were inside a refrigerator inside the tank?

Only if it was a 1950s lead line refrigerator. Anything else and they're toast
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
This thread:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.