WWII bomb goes off

2,148 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unexploded ordinance from both World Wars is still being found, I know. This was kind of cool/interesting because the photos were good.

And the "tram lines" show that the farmer has been driving his tractor right over the top of the bomb for years.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a28170164/crater-germany-world-war-ii/

AgBQ-00
AG
That is a big ass hole. Kind of amazes that anything at all was left of any cities after so much ordnance was expended in those wars.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
aalan94
AG
I spent a few days with the Brandenburg State bomb squad in the late 90s. They find a lot of these. We didn't declassify our post-action photos until the 1950s, when many German cities had been rebuilt, and the bomb disposal teams scour those photos for evidence of small holes where "duds" landed. A lot of time, they're under buildings, and are just marked for removal when the building is demolished. If the bomb is deep enough, an explosion will probably not bring the building down, but crack it and force its evacuation. For those bombs they do identify in the open, they use metal detection or ground penetrating radar to confirm the bomb's location, they set up a priority list and then have "bomb days." In Oranienburg, where I was with them, they would put it in the newspaper, and everyone would go shopping in Berlin that day while they dug up several bombs simultaneously and either trucked them out or blew them in place.

A lot of the bombs had a fuse involving a ceramic cap that was broken on impact, allowing an acidic chemical to seep into a charge and set it off. This was a way to create a time delay, otherwise, your bombs would blow up at the top of a building and only damage one floor. The Germans (and Brits, since the Germans used something similar) accused their enemies of making bombs targeting first responders, but it was really just time delayed fuses that went off later than they were supposed to. The devices were frequently imprecise, and might not impact (and therefore set off) as intended every time. These bombs were designed to be set off by extreme impacts, meaning buildings, but a lot of time, if they hit dirt they would simply burrow in the ground.

Bombs in rural areas are poorly mapped, because there's generally not post-strike imagery of something that missed or wasn't even near its target. So something like this wouldn't be on anybody's list. It could have exploded by the cap finally giving way, or by the acid working its way around the corroding structure. In this case, it was probably deep enough to not be struck by a farmers' implements (when I drove a tractor growing up, nothing I pulled went more than 2 feet under ground). It probably just corroded and failed and blew up on its own.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Damaged planes jettisoning their loads and crashing bombers breaking up spreading their bombs hither and yond would make them hard to find . I think this bomb is an example of one of those instances. OR could have been a truck park attacked by Jabos.

On a similar note, there are still areas of the WWI front lines in France that are "no go' due to unexploded ordinance. I think we discussed that topic on here last year.
CanyonAg77
AG
Those areas of the WWI no-go areas received millions of artillery rounds over a four year period. Hard to imagine what is in the ground there, including poison gas.

Regarding the dropping of unused bombs, one theory on the disappearance of Glen Miller, the band leader, is that the pilot of his liaison aircraft flew low over a prohibited zone in the English Chamnel. This zone was where returning aircraft dropped unused bombs. The theory is that a bomb or the concussion from bombs hit his plane.

Don't you know that area of the Channel is an egological mess?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.