D-Day reading list

802 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by barney94
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've done book recommendations before, but how about one specifically for D-Day?

Obviously, you've got The Longest Day, by Cornelius Ryan. I think I'd add The Fool Lieutenant, as told by Robert Edlin.

https://www.amazon.com/Fool-Lieutenant-Margo-Heinen/dp/0970525702

Quote:

A personal account of D-Day and World War II as told by Ranger Robert Edlin, Platoon Commander of A Company, 2nd Ranger Battalion. Using a single hand grenade, he and his all-star patrol captured an entire German garrison of 800 people, earning him the Distinguished Service Cross and the title - "The Fool Lieutenant". The Rangers were an elite group of the Army Infantry - all volunteers. The Army Ranger exemplified the highest standards of courage, determination, ruggedness and fighting ability.

The book cover is a photo snapped of him as he boarded the boat in England for D-Day.

ABATTBQ87
AG

ABATTBQ87
AG
ABATTBQ87
AG
ABATTBQ87
AG
This was a tough read due to the severe casualties they suffered:

ABATTBQ87
AG
Chapters on WWII training and Pointe du Hoc are great reads:

JABQ04
AG
Can't post the pic but "Pegasus Bridge" by Stephen Ambrose. Can't forget the Brits in all this. (As well as Canadian/Free French and other Allies)
AgBQ-00
AG
I enjoyed Citizen Soldiers by Ambrose. Mot strictly d-day but a very good read
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
barney94
AG
The Supreme Commander: The War Years of Dwight D. Eisenhower by Stephen Ambrose is good. I just finished it. It covers the whole war in Europe through Eisenhower's service, but they were planning for the invasion from the beginning so Overlord is referenced throughout.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.