77 years ago today

1,429 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Bonfired
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Battle of Midway began...the U.S. got off the mat and went from defense to offense. The Doolittle raid lifted spirits and let the Japanese know their homeland wasn't impenetrable, and Midway changed so much in the span of four days.
30wedge
It was the turning point in the war in the Pacific. Japan caught us sleeping at Pearl Harbor but not so at Midway. Their Navy was virtually crushed at Midway.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
My favorite story of WWII. I've read Shattered Sword and Midway (by a Japanese aviator who was there, Fuchida I think).

I've seen the 1976 movie many times (and chuckled at the archival footage used of aircraft that were not available 77years ago). On that note, this November there is apparently a remake of Midway coming to theaters - although as a warbirds nut, I don't have very good expectations if they cannot get something as vital to the story correct as the SBD Dauntless; the movie's poster features a Dauntless firing wing machine guns with a four-bladed prop spinning from its radial engine. I know of no Dauntless dive bombers fitted with guns in the wings or a four-bladed prop.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.