mlk statues

1,326 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by chimpanzee
huisachel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
read the David Garrow piece on the tapes and reports from the FBI he recently got access to and which the rest of us will get to see in 2027.

To an extent there is nothing new here in the sense that we already knew he was an adulterer (and a plagiarist of his divinity thesis at Boston U) from reading Garrow's books from a few years back.

What was new was the raw numbers of different women and the incident in which he sat back and watched another reverend rape a woman from the congregation, laughing about it.

I have pointed out that we don't honor him for his adultery or plagiarism any more than we honor Washington for beating his slaves or Jefferson for perhaps bedding one of his. Or Jim Bowie and James Milam and Fannin for being slave traders.

No, we honor people for the good they do in spite of their human weaknesses. And King did a good deal to keep some peace while trying to liberate his people from some horrible conditions which the older guys on this board like myself can recall from our childhoods.

But.......a lot of men I admire such as Lee are getting taken down for not being pc----I was in New Orleans recently and drove by Lee Circle. Or what used to be Lee Circle.

So should we tear down all the MLK statues too? Is sitting back and laughing while somebody gets raped right in front of you a whole lot better than standing up for your home state when others make war on her? I think not.

And when they start talking about the great confederate soldier and indian fighter Lawrence Sul Ross, how will you deal with it?

Anyway, I don't suppose any statue of MLK is coming down any time soon, but we may see some statuary of other black leaders going up instead. I note that Ann Coulter has written that we should be honoring Thurgood Marshall instead of King because he fought and succeeded as a litigant and a justice on the supreme court.

Interested to hear others' thoughts.
aalan94
AG
I don't expect flawless people as a standard of statues. Otherwise we'd have no statues of anyone but Jesus.

Keep MLK statues. In fact, build statues of MLK and Robert E. Lee hanging out sharing a beer. We have ample space for all the statues we want.
Smokedraw01
But most of the time, we honor Lee and other Confederates' ability to defend a country that was created to perpetuate slavery.

A&M's Sul Ross statue is a monument to his service to the university. But Lee is most likely dressed in a Confederate uniform. I'm not going to go out and protest but I understand why people have an issue with that.
DrEvazanPhD
If the same standard was applied evenly across the board, MLK statues would be torn down because violence against women has never truly been socially acceptable in this country. But we only look at the good done by one side of the aisle these days.
chimpanzee
What should be honored and who should be vilified ebbs and flows with the times. Best to make statues out of some kind of soft wood so that they decay before mores change.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.