Panzer III vs. T34

1,404 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by erudite
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would have said that the T34 was the clear winner before watching the video and maybe it was later in the war. But after listening to some of the facts about both tanks I have a new respect for the III.

For example the Panzer III's optics had better clarity, field of vision, and most importantly a much lower level of light needed to actually use than that of the optics found on the 34.

Or the fact that most T34s did not have radios to communicate with other tanks. And the radios that they had while on paper were better but in reality had many problems in actually using. While the Panzer IIIs all at least had a receiver for hearing new orders.

On paper the T34 clearly wins but digging into things a little deeper its not so clear as which one was better.

CT'97
AG
There is a story I read somewhere, about a T34 that took 38 hits from Panzer 3's in a single battle. The Russians of course were very proud of how well their tank sustained damage. The problem with that is the T34 clearly wasn't very effective identifying or destroying the Panzer 3's because it was getting hit over and over before it could see or shoot back.
Rabid Cougar
AG
And then there was the ugly step brother named STUG ....
74OA
AG
Every piece of equipment has good and bad features. The T-34's advantages were speed, sloped armor and sheer quantity. It was good enough.
Madman
AG
He digs into a bunch of standard things. The sloped armor for example would eventually be very good. But in the early part of the war many of the T34s were made out of a really poor quality steel. So even with the sloped armor the early tanks were not as good as the stats said.
erudite
http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2013/04/aberdeen-t-34-and-kv-1-test.html
Here's a good one but no sources.
I've seen David Glantz mention that the Soviets took planned obsolescence up to the next level with the T-34 and calculated that the average tank lasted 600km and planned for the items to last just that long. No idea about the Panzer III.
I believe the book where the claim was made was titled: Soviet Operational Art, In pursuit of Deep Battle
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.