Book on French Revolution?

1,761 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BQ78
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's a good book on the French Revolution?

To show my complete lack of knowledge on the event, was the Bastille more of a symbolic event than anything else?
BrazosBendHorn
Mostly, it was a very practical exercise in gun-grabbing. Because guns are useful items to have in a revolution.

BQ78
AG
Citizens by Simon Schma came out with the bicentennial and is real good.

Forum 16 likes to compare our extreme SJWs to fascists but they seem more like the Jacobins to me, anti-religion and monarchy (however modern Jacobins have replaced the monarchy with capitalism).
AtlAg05
AG
The guy who did the podcast on the history of Rome also has a series on revolutions and goes into depth on the French Revolution.
Stive
AG
AtlAg05 said:

The guy who did the podcast on the history of Rome also has a series on revolutions and goes into depth on the French Revolution.

I'd like to know more about this. Which podcast is this?
Smokedraw01
Revolutions by Mike Duncan
Post removed:
by user
Skillet Shot
BQ78 said:

Citizens by Simon Schma came out with the bicentennial and is real good.

Forum 16 likes to compare our extreme SJWs to fascists but they seem more like the Jacobins to me, anti-religion and monarchy (however modern Jacobins have replaced the monarchy with capitalism).

Any other good French Revolution books?

Also, interesting to see how this post has aged.
BQ78
AG
I still think Schama is the best. As a kid I read the American Heritage (Horizon Magazine) history of the French Revolution, that was my first exposure. It was good and nicely illustrated but slanted toward a teenager.

For an adult, after Schama, I would recommend several good biographies of Napoleon by Cronin, Asprey or Schom.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.