Cancelled Reenactment

3,099 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am a Civil War reenactor. A group of us were scheduled to do a living history weekend in Raymond, MS portraying the 7th Texas Infantry on May 17. Yesterday we received information that we were no longer welcome to attend the event due to potential negative blowback. Pretty bummed about this turn of events as it was to be a pretty solid event over the original battlefield. Not to mention the Aggie connection as our group has myself, and two other BQs ('82 and '93). We all just got doing portraying the 37th Illinois at the Battle of Fort Blakeley last weekend outside of Mobile, Alabama, which was a very well organized event.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Reason?
JABQ04
AG
From the email I received, the mayor of Raymond as well as other members of the town felt that due to the current situation at Ol Miss that we would bring bad publicity to the town and our presence in Raymond would be " to great a risk and a political flashpoint for bad publicity in the city of Raymond"and our presence as a Confederate living history would be too great a risk for the town to take due to the current political climate.
BQ78
AG
Nice pictures, to bad about the re-enactment. Sad times.
OldArmy71
AG
Great photos! Thanks for posting!
Cen-Tex
AG
So sad. I thought diversity is our strength.
CS78
Very sad!

Maybe it's time for more s'more schnapps.
AtlAg05
AG
A re-enactment here in Georgia was told they were too loud so they have to do it without firing blanks. I think they're still trying to pull it off.
Stive
AG
A little off subject but it got me thinking: what other wars have re-enactments like this? There are a few revolutionary re-enactments right? Any others anyone knows of?
JABQ04
AG
The ACW has a decent following in Europe as well. Here in the states, the American Revolution draws a bigger crowd out East. There is a decent sized group doing Texas Revolution, however the numbers are lopsided in favor of the Texians. Large size crowd does WWII as well, and WWI seems to be getting a larger following. Napoleonic reenactments are huge in Europe. The battle of New Orleans draws a decent crowd as well as the battle of the Little Big Horn. My group is branching into the Teas Revolution and personally I am working on a New Orleans Greys impression as well as a Soldado impression. What I'm interested in is not so much the battle events, but if done right they are really cool, I try to stay away from the local "shoot and hoots" and focus more on authenticity based events. There is a really cool event coming up in Virginia in the beginning of May that focus on a Virginia regiment immediately prior to the start of the Overland campaign in May 1864. No battle to be fought, but daily camp life, drill, leisure activity concluding with a 350 man plus sized regiment forming up to march into the Wilderness at the conclusion.
commando2004
AG
SJWs
Ag_of_08
AG
There's several good sized groups doing reenactment combat from the 14-16th centuries as well. Not just SCA thwack and whack, but harnessfetchen groups.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

I am a Civil War reenactor. A group of us were scheduled to do a living history weekend in Raymond, MS portraying the 7th Texas Infantry on May 17. Yesterday we received information that we were no longer welcome to attend the event due to potential negative blowback. Pretty bummed about this turn of events as it was to be a pretty solid event over the original battlefield. Not to mention the Aggie connection as our group has myself, and two other BQs ('82 and '93). We all just got doing portraying the 37th Illinois at the Battle of Fort Blakeley last weekend outside of Mobile, Alabama, which was a very well organized event.

DAMN.... Very nice...

Also I hate the dudes with Henry's. SOB's stood on the top of the trenches at Franklin and shot us down like flies as we assaulted up the hill, through the abates to the base of their fortifications during Cleburne's assault on the Cotton Gin.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

There is a really cool event coming up in Virginia in the beginning of May that focus on a Virginia regiment immediately prior to the start of the Overland campaign in May 1864. No battle to be fought, but daily camp life, drill, leisure activity concluding with a 350 man plus sized regiment forming up to march into the Wilderness at the conclusion.
How boring No one wants to see how they lived 98.5% of the time....

I stood and watched about 1,000 Federals march onto the 125th Shiloh battlefield in columns and then do column into lines on the march.....they just kept coming.

There are just those times when you have to check with reality because sometimes it gets VERY real.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.