Your alternate Alamo History of the day

2,785 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, Firefox thought I'd like to see this article about the original border of Mexico and the US,

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/lens/what-if-mexico-still-included-california-nevada-and-texas.html
Quote:

Before President James K. Polk prodded the two nations into war,
And there was this tidbit
Quote:

Then came the 1845 annexation of Texas, where American immigrants to what was then Mexico's state of Coahuila y Tejas had staged their slaveholder rebellion. The Texas Revolution's martyrs included men like the slave trader James W. Fannin.
Oh, let's read about the "Slaveholder rebellion"
Quote:

The Alamo is a Rupture
It's time to reckon with the true history of the mythologized Texas landmarkand the racism and imperialism it represents.
By Ral Ramos
I also learned something new about San Jacinto
Quote:

The final battle, on March 6, is remembered in myth and legend as Davy Crockett's last stand, when he swung his rifle, Old Betsy, atop the walls of the Alamo after running out of bullets. It is undoubtedly a compelling imageand one unsupported by factual historical accounts. A month later, the Mexican army fell in an ambush at San Jacinto, near Houston,
I'll be darned. Two armies encamped across a plain from each other. Army M had been pursuing Army T for weeks, and finally had them up against the bay with no escape. When Army T attacked, it was an "ambush".

Good to know.

Back to the original article. Did you know that the Spanish and Mexican conquest, followed by a succession of Mexican Dictators like Santa Anna was the good government, and the US was the bad one?

Neither did I!
Quote:

Mr. van Houtryve, 44, wanted to challenge what he calls the West's "puffed-up mythology" in which Hollywood nurtured the view that the expansion of the United States spread ideas like equality, liberty and democracy in conquered lands.

"In reality, these values arrived in the West straight from Mexico City," said Mr. van Houtryve, who was raised in California and now lives in Paris. "The main ideological import of Anglo-Americans to the West at the time was actually strident white supremacy."
Well, as Ron White says

CanyonAg77
AG
More historic accuracy
Quote:

Politicians and public figures use sayings like "Remember the Alamo," or "Line in the Sand," or "Come and Take It," in reference to iconic events from the battle.
Quote:

Dozens of indigenous groups settled across the region, from hunter-gatherers like the Comanche in the plains
Oh, you mean the warrior race who conquered their fellow tribes, once they had the white man's horse?
BQ_90
AG
Just imagine what your children are being taught in school, it's crap like this
p_bubel
Yeah, I ran across that stupid article a couple of days ago. It's eye-rolling.
Smokedraw01
BQ_90 said:

Just imagine what your children are being taught in school, it's crap like this

I can assure you that it's not being taught that way in the district that I work.
Waltonloads08
AG
The Americans stole land from the Mexicans, who stole land from the Indians, who stole land and enslaved other Indians, who stole land and enslaved other Indians, who...etc etc...
UTExan
They just cannot stand the fact that white people are capable of selfless bravery. But they overlook the savagery of Comanches and Santa Anna, who would be tried as a war criminal today.
APHIS AG
Liberalism is a mental disorder as history is being rewritten by losers.
who?mikejones
AG
I thought this was going to be about the john wayne version
OldArmy71
AG
What a joke of an article. Thankfully some of the comments (not all--it is the NYT) offer sane responses to such garbage.
huisachel
If you read the diplomatic correspondence and Polk's diary you will see that he tried to buy San Francisco bay from the bankrupt pack of kleptocrats who claimed to be the government of Mexico for a sum that would have allowed them to tell the Brits and French to back off but they refused to even talk, even though the more sane kleptos knew they could not win if war broke out. They sent troops to attack the US Army in disputed territory and got their tails kicked in battle after battle after battle.

Particularly distressing to aficianados of Mexican glory is the fact that the US Armies in Mexico survived by purchasing supplies such as mules and food from willing sellers. Mexicans.

Also unmentioned by these hacks is the fact that Mexico was constantly fighting wars with the separate states of said Republic who wished to leave.

Just for example, in 1840 the Texas Navy sailed up the Tabasco River to re supply the Yucatan state government which was in revolt, just like Texas was in 1836 and Zacatecas was in 1835.

When the US stomped the Mexico City government into submission the government of Yucatan asked to be annexed to the US.

no word of that in the NYTimes I would guess. If Polk had been gay or transgender he would probably get better coverage from the Times.
HollywoodBQ
AG

Quote:

Bernadette Therese Ortiz Pea, left, a descendant of Crypto Jews who fled the Inquisition in Spain and eventually migrated to New Mexico. Carter Lake, right, near the early-19th-century border between Texas, Mexico and Louisiana. 2017.
Crypto Jews in New Mexico. I learn something new every day.
CanyonAg77
AG
Yeah, the crypto Jews are an interesting group. During the Spanish Inquisition, which they were not expecting*, they hid their faith, pretended to become Catholic, yet kept many of their customs. A lot of them were probably in the early waves of Conquistadors.

That's why you find Jewish traditions in New Mexico today, such as placing stones on grave stones.

(*NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition)
p_bubel
p_bubel
What gets me every time Mexico is mentioned is that we were a part of that mess for what? A whole whopping 15 years?

How a country could spit out a man like Santa Anna and still not be considered a roiling mess before the Mexican American War/Texas Independence is beyond me. But America...
Smokedraw01
p_bubel said:

The Inquisition...what a show!
BQ78
AG
Carter Lake? Do they mean Caddo Lake?
aalan94
AG
As for slaveholding revolution, that's pretty unsupportable. Now, ANNEXATION was driven by slave interests, but the Texas Revolution was driven by causes beyond slavery. The Anglo colonists had basically won the battle on slavery. UNT Professor Andrew Torgut has actually done some great research on this story. The Anglo colonists were bringing in slaves on "contracts," basically indentures, which were so long as to be effectively for life.

Rather than be appalled and hostile to this, the Tejano members of the Texas delegation to the Coahuila y Tejas legislature took steps to make these legal. They did this because they WANTED more Anglos to come. To them, that was the key to economic development to Texas. (Once again, the similarities between today and the past are evident. It's basically the reverse side of the argument that we need illegal immigrants for our economy). In this case, the Tejanos realized that Anglos possessed experience as farmers, artisans, etc. that would make the Texas economy boom, which would benefit them as well. It would also more closely link Texas to trade with the United States.

This was of course, the Tejano elites. We know little about what the common folks thought, and chances are they didn't think that deeply about it. Mexican Nationalism was still very weak. The country was only 10 years old and Texas had always been a backwater.

Add to this what I'm learning in my own research into the 1812-13 revolution. I DO NOT want to make a political point, since I think politically-spiced history is bad history even if it's for a "good" cause. But the facts I'm going to lay out kind of continue this narrative into the past.

1. The people of Nacogdoches (or the elites) actively welcomed Anglos into Texas as a tool to their own ends.
2. Trade was the Number One goal of Tejanos, far more important than liberty, democracy, etc.
3. To the extent that there was a Mexican identity in Texas, it was very fluid, and under the Spanish very open to incorporating outsiders.

Some early Texas governors under Spain were not Spanish. Tomas Felipe de Winthuisen, as his name implies, was Dutch, probably having become Spanish during the period Spain ruled Holland. Hugo O'Connor, of course was Irish, born in Dublin. (The Comanches called him the "Red Captain" because of his hair). A few others are possible, because immigrants would often Hispanicize names and we don't know much about these early governors.
There were a lot of foreigners in Texas in the Spanish period, which is not necessarily a new thing I've discovered in my research (Mattie Austin Hatcher was writing about this in the 50s), but it's something that you would never learn in a typical Texas history class. There were Anglos living in Texas before Stephen F. Austin was born, and married to Anglo wives making Anglo-Texan babies before Jane Long was born.

Spanish Texas was much more open to diversity than Mexican Texas would later be, which makes it very plain that it was not a prejudice against outsiders, but an unfolding of historical events, that made that happen.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Spanish Texas was much more open to diversity than Mexican Texas would later be, which makes it very plain that it was not a prejudice against outsiders, but an unfolding of historical events, that made that happen.
Do you think that was a function of Texas being a frontier? It's always been my observation that the further one gets from "civilization", the less one cares about societal norms, including race mixing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.