Canyon ag or anyone else: Adobe Walls

2,751 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tamc1956ag
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anything to see there?

Almost sounds like the county museum in Borger has anything worth while.
PabloSerna
AG
Remember reading about a Kentucky trapper using a long rifle to shoot a Comanche at long distance!
Post removed:
by user
JoeAggie1010
I've been there when I worked in the area years ago. There are a few signs describing the event, but really, you're in a pasture trying to picture the event. YMMV.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry, I just now caught this. Will have to research, but I don't think you can get there. I seem to recall it's on private land, and you need special permission. ThePPHM had a tour there a few years ago,but I had to miss it
Rabid Cougar
AG
JoeAggie1010 said:

Really, you're in a pasture trying to picture the event.
A REALLY BIG pasture.

My ex-brother in law owns a "farm" (16 sections) that Tule Draw (which feeds into Tule Canyon) goes right through the middle of. His family has never plowed it and it is native pasture. I used to sit on the 'bank' over looking it and visualize Coronado's expedition pass through and along it. If you go out there in the middle of a moonless night you can still hear them around their camp fires. BTW, he had over 1,000 Indian warriors from Mexico with him when he went through there.

I know this has nothing to do with Adobe Walls but yes, you can visualize it.
DevilYack
AG
This is what it looked like in 07, the last time we went out that way.

who?mikejones
AG
If anyone wanted to get together and start a tour of historical texas places I'm down.
BQ78
AG
Thanks for the inputs. I'm making a bucket list Indian War trip this summer but I'll probably skip Adobe Walls, even though I'm still planning to go to Beecher's Island. It sounds similar with just a couple of monuments but at least it is on public land.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Bighorn is the crown jewel of the Indian Wars battlefields. If you know the history you can see it as it happened.
BQ78
AG
Yep, that's the turnaround point. I've never been there before and have wanted to go for years.
tamc1956ag
S
Rabid Cougar said:

Bighorn is the crown jewel of the Indian Wars battlefields. If you know the history you can see it as it happened.
yes I visited there in 2008ish. awesome is all I can say...just standing in the same places as out cavalry stood was eerie. Driving tour was very informative and listening to the crow park guide relive the day in 1876 was overwhelmingly entertaining.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.