The last panther

1,430 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by who?mikejones
who?mikejones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone read this book about a group of germans surrounded by the russians who forced them to make a break for the American line to avoid slaughter.

It is an amazingly horrible story. I hope it's embellished but I somehow doubt it is. The russians were raping and killing every german in their path. They had surround a group of german tanks, infantry and civilians south of berlin and the germans figured their only hope was to surrender to the Americans. With no gas, few shells and little fighting spirit the german tanks led a break out literally running over the Russians, germans and anything else that got in their way. It's a crazy story
JABQ04
AG
No doubt German troops fought tooth and nail to escape the Soviets and make their way to surrender to Western Allies. Also many were promptly turned back over to the Soviets. I've read "The Last Panther" and his other work " Tiger Tracks". Combat in WWII was absolutely brutal, but combat on the Eastern Front was on a whole other level of savagery.

Also fwiw, I've heard that the books might have been made up and not an authentic first hand account.
who?mikejones
AG
I'd believe it was made up. It was too perfect, if that makes sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.