Nueces Massacre of Germans loyal to the union

2,977 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rongagin71
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never heard of this until today
Kind of interesting

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nueces_massacre
huisachel
Hill Country Germans were mostly pro Union and they paid for it. Judging from the muster rolls from the Cuero and Victoria areas, the Germans of south Texas were considerably more likely to side with the Confederacy
P.H. Dexippus
AG
The war they call civil had barely begun
Me and my cousins decided we'd run
Up through Louisianan to meet up with Grant
But one hundred damn rebels shot us there in the sand
At Indianola
aalan94
AG
There are two versions of this story: that it was a massacre and that it was a battle. I think they both have a bit of truth to them. These guys weren't on a hunting trip.
Cen-Tex
AG
Besides counties in the Texas Hill Country, close to 15% of all Texas counties in 1861 voted against secession. Many of those counties had large German, Hispanic and other European populations.

https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/2321502
Rabid Cougar
AG
There was also a mass hanging (41) in Gainesville of suspected Union sympathizers in October 1862. They were mainly against the draft.
Martin Cash
AG
My great grandfather came here from Prussia in the 1850's and opened a leather tannery in Yorktown. When the Confederacy tried to force him to make boots, saddles, holsters etc, he packed up his family and went back to Prussia. After the war was over, he came back and reopened his tannery.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

The war they call civil had barely begun
Me and my cousins decided we'd run
Up through Louisianan to meet up with Grant
But one hundred damn rebels shot us there in the sand
At Indianola

My first thought as well
A. Solzhenitsyn
Martin Cash said:

My great grandfather came here from Prussia in the 1850's and opened a leather tannery in Yorktown. When the Confederacy tried to force him to make boots, saddles, holsters etc, he packed up his family and went back to Prussia. After the war was over, he came back and reopened his tannery.

Lol. I guess that's how you handle that!
Dorm 15
AG
Rebel in Blue a novel by Herman Toepperwein published in 1963 tells of this incident. The author was related to my HS English teacher and we had to read it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebel-In-Blue-Herman-Toepperwein-1963-Hardcover-HC-Very-Nice-/291603979649
Aggie1205
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

There was also a mass hanging (41) in Gainesville of suspected Union sympathizers in October 1862. They were mainly against the draft.

Just read up on this. I had never heard of it before.
BQ78
AG
1862 saw the largest mass lynchings (Gainesville) and "Legal" hanging (Lincoln's execution of the Sioux in Minnesota) in US History.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

My relative was the Sherriff of Cooke County at the time.
Rex Racer
AG
My great-great-grandfather (born in Germany) was conscripted into the Confederate Army. He didn't want to fight, but he didn't have a choice. I can't prove it, but I'm fairly certain he gave himself up at the first opportunity.
HarleySpoon
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

I have some very close friends that live on large acreage in Cooke County that live on Lynch Crossing Road....many of those lynched are believed to have been secretly buried on what is now their property.
dead zip 01
AG
Because many Texas Germans were pro union The civil war monument in the main plaza in New Braunfels is a generic statue of a soldier that isn't identified as either confederate or union with an inscription along the lines of "in memory of our fallen soldiers"
P.H. Dexippus
AG
dead zip 01 said:

Because many Texas Germans were pro union The civil war monument in the main plaza in New Braunfels is a generic statue of a soldier that isn't identified as either confederate or union with an inscription along the lines of "in memory of our fallen soldiers"

Cool tidbit. Too bad we must tear it down!
Post removed:
by user
Rongagin71
AG
According to RIP Ford's diary, a way was worked out for the Germans to serve as Indian patrols rather than in the Confederate Army...but only after the above mentioned.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.