The Houston riot at Logan Field WW1

1,877 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiedata
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.pvamu.edu/tiphc/research-projects/the-1917-houston-riotscamp-logan-mutiny/

Watched a documentary about this riot on PBS. Somehow I missed this in Texas History. Black soldiers kill white Houston policemen and civilians because of the constant harassment.

All 19 hung in Saledo Creek at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio.

Damn Interesting
aalan94
AG
The one in Brownsville got much more attention. Theodore Roosevelt weighed in on it, declaring the African-Americans were at fault, something historians have bashed him over for years, but he may not have had all the facts.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
It's hard to fathom soldiers marching on downtown Houston from Memorial Park.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Not surprising. The 10th Cavalry got into it with the 5th Cavalry at Balamara, Texas (or another little town in West Texas, not sure) in the 30's during maneuvers. Started out as a fight in the streets and escalated to knives and clubs then almost to machine guns. My Grandfather said they were bringing up the pack mules with the .30 cal machine guns before everything was brought to an end. He told me this story many years ago but I have never found cooberating evidence.

Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Not surprising. The 10th Cavalry got into it with the 5th Cavalry at Balamara, Texas (or another little town in West Texas, not sure) in the 30's during maneuvers. Started out as a fight in the streets and escalated to knives and clubs then almost to machine guns. My Grandfather said they were bringing up the pack mules with the .30 cal machine guns before everything was brought to an end. He told me this story many years ago but I have never found cooberating evidence.

I talked to my Dad about this story. He also heard it. I did clarify some of it. It was a fight between the 5th Cavalry and a National Guard unit. Knives and clubs in the streets. We both remember about the machines guns being set up outside of town to control the mob. Both sides of the fight then united to confront the soldiers that were sent to man the guns. We just don't know whether it was the 10th Cav. or another colored unit that was called on to do that.

My feeling was that it was black soldiers because of the time period. That would have been a huge insult to have black soldiers firing on white soldiers. Something that would have caused the two white units overcome their feud to unite against. And because of the time period it is very likely that the black soldiers would have done it.
CanyonAg77
AG
Do you guys mean

Balmorhea

?
Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Do you guys mean

Balmorhea

?

Yea. Sorry about that.

The fight could have also taken place at Toyahville.

I did some research as to whether or not the 10th Cavalry was in Texas in the 30's. The 5th Cavalry replaced the 10th Cavalry in Texas in 1921. In 1933 the 10th Cavalry was HQed at Fort Leavenworth and unlikely to have taken part in any maneuvers in West Texas at that time.

My father has my grandfather's 5th Cavalry reunion books from Fort Clark. I will take a look at it the next time I am at his house.
Aquin
AG
There is an interesting book called "Camp Logan, Houston, Texas 1917-1919 by Louis F. Aulbach.
It describes the Camp in detail and maps its perimeter, which will surprise most. It also located many of the Camps features in Memorial Park. There are quite a few photos and a map that locates where different individuals were killed. A good resource book for those that are interested.
The Fall Guy
AG
Cool. Thanks!
aggiedata
AG
Marched around and back through where I currently live. The 100 year anniversary came and went. I bet 99% of the folks who live around here never heard of it.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/The-ugly-history-of-Camp-Logan-11944840.php
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.