Afghan experiences

2,441 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigJim49 asked "how was it?" in the Chuck Yeager post and I figured rather than derail it I'd start another.

A very short background on me: Non-reg Class of 94. Joined the military (Navy) through direct commissioned officer program after 9/11. Deployed to Iraq in 2007-08 and Afghanistan in 2017-18.

A question I get, first of all, is why am I in places like Iraq and Afghanistan if I'm in the Navy. The fact of the matter is the Goldwater-Nichols Act of 1986 created requirements for more joint operations between the branches. GN was a result of the investigation into the Desert One fiasco of 1980. Long story short is, whenever possible, we want the different services to interact and serve in joint billets. The practical result in the War on Terror is that the Navy and Air Force identify specialties that are valuable to the fight and send individual augmentees (as opposed to units) forward to serve in Army or Marine commands.

Once you're selected, the Navy sends you to NIACT, which stands for Navy Individual Augmentee Combat Training stateside. You train under army auspices, learning weapons familiarization and basic combat skills. I've been twice and can see it's evolved over time. It's a rush crash-course focused on familiarization. Yes, you do get good time shooting your own weapons (M-16A2 (2007) and M-4 (2017) and M-9 pistol (both times) in my case). You have to qualify or you don't go. I was fortunate to qualify as an expert on both, partly because I've been shooting all my life, but also because the army instructors are darn good and will teach you things about shooting you never learned from dad. As for other weapons, like the 50 cal, 249 and 240B, you just get a short course so you know what to do in the unlikely event that someone else is incapacitated and they let the Navy guy join the fight with real weapons. There's comms gear training, chem gear training, Humvee rollover drills, and actual combat training scenarios with blanks and live fire. Like I said, a lot of these positions are jobs that fit particular needs, although there are some more general jobs. When I first went to Iraq, I had a number of young sailors under my command (I was the only, therefore senior, officer in our class), who had no specialty of relevance at all. One kid was a submariner, and had never held a gun. He shot a round off into a clearing barrel once and cost me a lot of hell and even more paperwork.

Once you're trained you go forward through a variety of bases until you arrive at your final destination, which in my case was Kabul. My job, without including detail you don't need to know, was on base, not exposed to significant danger on a day-to-day basis. In fact, it was quite calm. Whereas my base in Baghdad in 2007 got rockets sometimes 3-4 times a week and one of them hit my trailer while I was conveniently away at breakfast, Kabul was peaceful. Our base was small and rockets are like horseshoes and hand grenades, so therefore not very accurate, especially if you are just shooting them off some scrap angle iron set on a berm rather than from a BM-21 like the Russians intended them. The few times they tried to shoot rockets at us they missed us and blew up some poor Afghan civilians.

What we did have were suicide bombers, but no car bombs, fortunately. We had six, I think, over the course of the time I was there. Two were in one day. They blew up one outside our wall and then set off a second one where all the Afghan journalists gathered to cover the attack. I watched the 2nd one live on closed circuit TV and watched those poor Afghan reporters bleed out. As a former journalist myself, that was a bit sobering. I watched a number of other attacks live, including this one: Afghan hotel attack

There was another time when there was a direct assault on an Afghan base down the road. The bad guys hit the first checkpoint and got past it, but things bogged down there. There was a long road with barriers you had to swerve around and they got stuck in that, and basically traded fire with the Afghan Army until the latter realized that they could just do drive bys in an MRAP while hosing these insurgents, who were on foot. This ended with a dramatic moment in which one insurgent got up and charged the gun truck, guns blazing, before he vanished in a puff of smoke that was probably his suicide vest getting struck by a round. We all cheered like it was a touchdown in overtime, and then a second later, some white object came floating down from the sky, and someone said, "Look, it's his underwear!"

My days were 7-7 roughly 5 days a week with a couple of "light" days where I only worked 8 hours. In periods of high intensity of working on a big project, they could be 15 or more hours.

Other than work hours, life on base was pretty uneventful. I went to the gym 4-5 days a week and lost 20 pounds. The base was a NATO base with probably half the people on it being non-Americans. I went to Catholic mass with the Germans and the Italians. The Spanish, who never worked anyway, set up a Spanish class three nights a week. When I could get time off work, I made that. I had an informal bluegrass band with some Australians that was lots of fun. Played football a few times, but every 3-4 plays we had to pick up our sideline markers and clear the field so helos could land. We had an on-base market and could buy stuff from the Afghans. I bought several nice rugs, plus jewelry for my wife, and an 1859 Martini Henry (see below) for myself.

Obviously, when I had time and wasn't working, I tried to focus on my book. I brought a laptop full of research over and went through it all and finished my first draft by the end of the deployment. Still working on the 2nd draft now.

Deployments can suck, but fortunately we have good tech for communicating with our families now. I had access to video chat and could literally help my son with his homework, so that was nice.

My tour was 330 days boots-on-ground which is actually very heavy for the Navy. Money is tax-free anyplace you get hazardous duty pay. Came home through Europe, got to spend a few days there relaxing before getting stuck in Norfolk for what seemed like forever to outprocess. Then back home, off active duty and back into the good old Navy Reserve, thence to finish the push to 20 and hopefully I'm on the safe list for the rest of my career and won't get called involuntarily.

Aggie12B
AG
Glad you made it back safely. Thanks for sharing.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Welcome Home! Glad that you are back safe and whole!!!

I can attest to the availability of old guns for sale at the bazaar at the NATO compound. Lots of Tower Enfields, Martini-Henrys and so on. Makes a collector salivate. Our USACE District Office was located in "Qualla House" right across the street from Camp Eggers. (FYI OpSec* USACE HQ is now located somewhere else .)

I experienced the results of the Goldwater- Nichols Act with Navy and Air Force officers and enlisted working in places that you would find odd:

2007-08 Camp Bucca Detention Center. The base commander was a Boomer Captain with most of the detainee compound guards being Submariners. (*Camp is closed and abandoned) Incidentally, was also at the British base at the Basra Airport... Rocket City! 0500 every day. Brits had Phalanx CWIS set up around the base. They also shot back every time with 155's. Never left the wire the entire time.

2009 Talil near Al Nasiriyah in Dhi Qar Province, the Southern District of the USACE Division in Iraq commander was an Air Force Colonel (construction engineer) and we had a Navy Commander (a ship builder) as Resident Engineer. We also worked with the Provincial Reconstruction Team which were all Air Force personnel. (*Base is now operated by Iraq military). Outside the wire about 75% of the time.

2011- Fob Wright near Asadabad, Kunar Province, Afghanistan - had a Navy Provincial Reconstruction Team . It's Commander was SWO but his staff was a LT. nuke officer, a Lt Commander civil engineer with a Sea Bee Chief and myriad of other ratings. (*U.S personnel no longer there). Outside the wire about 50% of the time. Was an extremely dangerous place.

As a DoD civilian went through pretty much what you went through in preparation for going over except no shooting. However,my AEGIS Brit Mercenary SecFor in Iraq and my National Guard SecFor in Afghanistan made sure I knew how to operate all of their weapon systems. ( M2, M249, M240, M19, M9, M4).
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Many thanks, Aalan ! And thanks for being there for all of

us!

Also, thanks , Cougar for your service !

Rabid Cougar
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Many thanks, Aalan ! And thanks for being there for all of

us!

Also, thanks , Cougar for your service !

All the thanks goes to Aalan. I am DoD civilian.
aalan94
AG
Civilians get hit by rockets too, don't be too modest.
Rabid Cougar
AG
aalan94 said:

Civilians get hit by rockets too, don't be too modest.
Not trying to be modest. Just don't ever want to be misconstrued in regards to stolen valor and such.

Rabid Cougar
AG
Rocket Attack and CRAMS in Basra, Iraq.

Every morning...
aalan94
AG
Rabid, other than the Limey going nuts about something, yes. Of course, I was indoor for all of them. No sense in risking getting hit by random falling metal.
Rabid Cougar
AG
aalan94 said:

Rabid, other than the Limey going nuts about something, yes. Of course, I was indoor for all of them. No sense in risking getting hit by random falling metal.

They were the 155 gun crews. They would be called for illumination rounds from patrols on the ground. Once the rockets were fired they would switch to HE rounds and send back the love. One of my convoys inadvertently drove through a launch site one morning after it struck was by counter battery fire.... flatted every tire in the convoys. Its amazing how much shrapnel is left on top of the ground, especially on paved highways.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.