Wreck of USS Hornet found

1,419 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by thach
Post removed:
by user
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Their work has been amazing the past few years I've been following
Law-5L
AG
Amazing stuff. For those who get their interest piqued, "The Ship That Held The Line" by Lisle Rose is a good book on Hornet.
cbr
AG
Valiant ship and crew. Great link
thach
AG
I posted on these on the Politics board, but I'll put 'em here, too.

USS Hornet War Damage Report

titan
S
thach said:

I posted on these on the Politics board, but I'll put 'em here, too.

USS Hornet War Damage Report

And I posted on Politics before saw this, so will again here.

That video on Hornet is actually pretty accurate---that's the actual Hornet, not just some other carrier, and it even mentioned 18 degree list to starboard. What it leaves out is that the carrier didn't even sink after we scuttled it. Japanese destroyers had to hit it with three more torpedoes late that night to finally do so.

To the war damage report, you can add three Japanese torpedoes in the starboard side amidships and forward when they came upon the derelict close to midnight. Hornet heeled over to starboard and sank 30 minutes after even those hits. Its very interesting she ended up upright on the sea floor.
thach
AG
You know me, I'm going to try and share historically accurate stuff! The thing in that video that makes me cringe is something like "Midway forestalled off an invasion of the continental United States"--such B.S.!

And MOST of the footage CBS showed in their story was actually of CV 8--so kudos to them! However, I saw one image of "Hornet and the Doolittle Raid" that was actually CV 12 and Hellcats--oops!

P.S. I love the "Life and Death of USS Hornet" using Ein Feste Burg (Luther's A Might Fortress) for some of the music in it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.