Researchers discover airplane wreckage off Buka Island that might finally belong to

2,660 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Amelia Earhart. The plane has some of the characteristics/modifications Earhart's plane had and it lyes upon her flight path. https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/02/03/wreck-found/
JABQ04
AG
This is pretty cool. I had passing knowledge of Amelia Earhart, but then my daughter chose her for a report a couple years ago and we binge watched 4 or 5 shows about her and even a couple of books. Fell for the story hook line and sinker. I was even believing the supposed photo of her that surfaced a couple of years ago taken by the Japanese. I really hope they figure this out.

And completely unrelated but our new daughter will be named Amelia when she is born in July.
Bregxit
AG
JABQ04 said:

This is pretty cool. I had passing knowledge of Amelia Earhart, but then my daughter chose her for a report a couple years ago and we binge watched 4 or 5 shows about her and even a couple of books. Fell for the story hook line and sinker. I was even believing the supposed photo of her that surfaced a couple of years ago taken by the Japanese. I really hope they figure this out.

And completely unrelated but our new daughter will be named Amelia when she is born in July.

Good name/month combo! My Amelia was a July baby 10 years ago.
huisachel
[If you want to discuss that subject then start a thread about that subject. -Staff]
YZ250
Doesn't make sense to me. Lae to Howland island is around 2,560 miles. Howland back to Buka island is 2,030 miles. Wouldn't she have radioed that she had turned around? She also said that she was flying a North-South direction.
Jaydoug
AG
YZ250 said:

Doesn't make sense to me. Lae to Howland island is around 2,560 miles. Howland back to Buka island is 2,030 miles. Wouldn't she have radioed that she had turned around? She also said that she was flying a North-South direction.

I suspect they've searched everywhere that made sense in the past many decades.
CanyonAg77
AG
Jaydoug said:

YZ250 said:

I suspect they've searched everywhere that made sense in the past many decades.
Little plane, huge ocean. They could have missed it by 5 feet and never knew it was there, on any of dozens of prior searches.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
I looked for her on Majuro, Marshall Islands 1946. No luck.

We had planes going to Hawaii 2 thousand miles away. As far as I know, all made it - I thought they were crazy to begin such a trip !
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.