What Did Peasants Eat in Medieval Times?

5,074 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tecolote
HustlerAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From Modern History TV, a discovery of the types of foods that someone of lower classes might have eaten in the knights/noble period:

p_bubel
Rongagin71
AG
Peas porridge hot.
Peas porridge cold,
Peas porridge in the pot,
Nine days old.
terata
AG
Each other.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Turkey legs.
HustlerAggie
As a follow-up if you liked the first one:

What Did Rich Nobles Eat In Medieval Times?

Blanco Ag
AG
Edit: wrong board.

LOL
Corporal Punishment
AG
If you like maps, this guy does a nice job showing a medieval map of the world:

MouthBQ98
AG
Funny, I stumbled upon this series over the Christmas break. Turns out medieval food was probably pretty satisfying.
Bregxit
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Funny, I stumbled upon this series over the Christmas break. Turns out medieval food was probably pretty satisfying.

What I found interesting in his food series was that the peasants had much healthier food than the nobility.
Post removed:
by user
joemeister
AG
One of the responses in the comments says that period accounts say that river fish like salmon were not considered good eating most likely because water ways were where waste was disposed of.
Federale01
AG
It would be hard to describe the diet of peasants over the entire medieval period because there were massive changes to society in that roughly 1000 years of history. You have long periods of war, varying climatic shifts, depopulation from the plaque, changes in the economy and trade, and various other natural disasters. I am sure there are times they ate better than other. But their short stature compared to us today makes me think they were undernourished.
30wedge
They mostly ate rocks and dirt which explains the short life expectancy. All of this is very simple if you just do your research.
Jason Ag
AG
I hear stone soup is good.
Ag_of_08
AG
Federale01 said:

It would be hard to describe the diet of peasants over the entire medieval period because there were massive changes to society in that roughly 1000 years of history. You have long periods of war, varying climatic shifts, depopulation from the plaque, changes in the economy and trade, and various other natural disasters. I am sure there are times they ate better than other. But their short stature compared to us today makes me think they were undernourished.

I was hoping someone would make that statement. Kind of like "medieval armor".... which end of medieval would you like to discuss? I'm not as interested in do the dietary side of things, but I'm sure there's a "poor knight" paradox with the discussion as well.
Apache
AG
One thing that some forget is that the Columbian Exchange had not taken place yet, so stuff like potatoes, tomatoes, various squash, corn, etc. weren't even on the menu yet.

Corporal Punishment
AG
Are we just talking about Britain? Or are we including mainland Europe as well? I think in Tuchman's A Distant Mirror on the 14th century the general sense I got in France was that, for the most part, people had plenty to eat, but not much variety in their diets.
Tecolote
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Are we just talking about Britain? Or are we including mainland Europe as well? I think in Tuchman's A Distant Mirror on the 14th century the general sense I got in France was that, for the most part, people had plenty to eat, but not much variety in their diets.
Exactly - southern France vs Great Britain is significant. Also, coastal areas versus inland is another.
Tecolote
AG
Federale01 said:

This has huge implications. So many foods have been developed from need. Look at stuffed grape leaves - while a delicacy today, these were started by the Greeks during times of famine - they were trying to find a way to eat the leaves from the grape vines that made them taste better or add to other items so they go farther.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.