Fifty Years ago Tonight...

2,453 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by annie88
TAMU74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apollo 8 circled the moon and Frank Borman read scripture.
Hard to believe it's been 50 years.
Exciting times to be growing up in America.
Cen-Tex
AG
Lovell & Anders also read several chapters
jkag89
OldArmy71
AG
That is a beautiful version of that photo. Thank you!
bufrilla
AG
Received news of the moon orbit via PRC25 radio transmission while on a search and destroy mission headed into the A Shau Valley in Vietnam as Marine Infantry Unit (3/3) Commander. Was still in country when the moon landing was made 6 months later. Godfather of our youngest son made 3 Space Shuttle flights. And myself, having almost 4K hours in the F4Phantom, the following words are very meaningful.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth .......and trod the high untrespassed sanctity of space, put out my hand, and touched the face of God."
Semper Fi
Gig'em
Post removed:
by user
bufrilla
AG
My 1st tour (13 mos) was with 3/3 in Vietnam. Was medivac to the Hospital Ship Santuary and on arriving told the Doc I was there for a flight physical, he had a good laugh. Told him to patch me up and sign some flight physical papers and I would be on the first helo off the ship. Well, he fixed me up both ways. Received orders to flight school at end of my tour, graduated first in my class and went straight to a F4 Squadron in Hawaii (no training squadron). Then assigned as replacement aircrew to Squadron in Vietnam. Then spent 17 years in the F4 (Top Gun, Navy PG School, one tour with CAW 17 aboard a carrier, and Just under 4k hours in the Phantom.
jcbaggie04
AG
bufrilla said:

My 1st tour (13 mos) was with 3/3 in Vietnam. Was medivac to the Hospital Ship Santuary and on arriving told the Doc I was there for a flight physical, he had a good laugh. Told him to patch me up and sign some flight physical papers and I would be on the first helo off the ship. Well, he fixed me up both ways. Received orders to flight school at end of my tour, graduated first in my class and went straight to a F4 Squadron in Hawaii (no training squadron). Then assigned as replacement aircrew to Squadron in Vietnam. Then spent 17 years in the F4 (Top Gun, Navy PG School, one tour with CAW 17 aboard a carrier, and Just under 4k hours in the Phantom.
Thank you, sir.
Waltonloads08
AG
bufrilla said:

Received news of the moon orbit via PRC25 radio transmission while on a search and destroy mission headed into the A Shau Valley in Vietnam as Marine Infantry Unit (3/3) Commander. Was still in country when the moon landing was made 6 months later. Godfather of our youngest son made 3 Space Shuttle flights. And myself, having almost 4K hours in the F4Phantom, the following words are very meaningful.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth .......and trod the high untrespassed sanctity of space, put out my hand, and touched the face of God."
Semper Fi
Gig'em

Yea buddy
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Iconic photo.

Which side of the Earth is which pole?
bufrilla
AG
Neither side. I think you can see South America bottom middle right, and North America top. So North Pole at top are of photo.
Post removed:
by user
bufrilla
AG
Good info.
Thanks for the Correction.
annie88
AG
My first real memory, albeit it's more in snapshots than video, is the 1969 moon landing. I'd just turned three.

Since then, of course, I've watched many documentaries on the lead up to that. It was all very fascinating.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.