New Home for Silent Sam...

3,349 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by who?mikejones
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With all the talk about Sully. People are still *****ing about it though

Silent Sam

Sapper Redux
It's $5 million for initial construction with $800k a year for maintenance and security, etc. Seems ridiculous.
CanyonAg77
AG
Dr. Watson said:

It's $5 million for initial construction with $800k a year for maintenance and security, etc. Seems ridiculous.
Yes it is.

Would have made more sense to leave it the %$&!! alone.
Sapper Redux
CanyonAg77 said:

Dr. Watson said:

Yes it is.

Would have made more sense to leave it the %$&!! alone.

More sense to tear down something clearly connected with Jim Crow and the "Redemption."
Liquid Wrench
This isn't the SPLC fundraising board. Please keep your extremist political propaganda on the Politics Board. Thanks.
Sapper Redux
ChiliBeans said:

This isn't the SPLC fundraising board. Please keep your extremist political propaganda on the Politics Board. Thanks.

It's a valid opinion. As valid as the post I replied to. I'm not insulting anyone (unlike you), or breaking any forum rules. If you have a problem, address it in an intelligent fashion.

[ChiliBeans gave his opinion about your political beliefs and did not insult you. -Staff]
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I'm not insulting anyone (unlike you
I didn't insult anyone, chief, and your cute little "I know you are but what am I" insults aren't going to work.

I'm simply asking that we be allowed to have civil discussions of history on the History Board without being spammed with SPLC fundraising talking points. If you're opposing the funding of a museum and calling for statues to be torn down, that really belongs on the Politics Board, like most of your posts.

Thanks and Gig 'Em.
Sapper Redux

[If you can't post on this particular board without putting sarcastic comments on the end of your posts, stop posting on this board. You complain about other posters insulting you, but you do that with regularity on this board and we are not going to clean it up anymore. If we remove another one of your posts on this forum for any reason, you will get a permanent ban and that will be across all forums on TexAgs. You have been given warnings, that is your final warning. -Staff]
Cen-Tex
AG
I hope Sam gets a new home. History is for everyone, good or bad. Not someone's close-minded interpretation.
Smokedraw01
Cen-Tex said:

I hope Sam gets a new home. History is for everyone, good or bad. Not someone's close-minded interpretation.
What is the history behind this statue?
Sapper Redux
Smokedraw01 said:

Cen-Tex said:

Put up in 1913. The dedication was rather explicit about the racial component. The keynote speaker bragged about beating a black woman on that spot during Reconstruction:

"The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are, that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South When "the bottom rail was on top" all over the Southern states, and to-day, as a consequence the purest strain of the Anglo Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern States Praise God.
I trust I may be pardoned for one allusion, howbeit it is rather personal. One hundred yards from where we stand, less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomattox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted and maligned a Southern lady, and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty nights afterwards slept with a double-barrel shot gun under my head."
Cen-Tex
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

Sam was erected to honor the approx 1000 UNC students & employees that defended their country during the War Between the States. According to the UNC General Alumni Assn, 287 UNC alumni lost their lives In the war. Here's the verbiage from the monument:

To the Sons of the University

who entered the War of 1861-65
in answer to the call of their
country and whose lives
taught the lesson of
their great commander that
duty is the sublimest word
in the English language.

Erected under the auspices
of the
North Carolina Division
of the United Daughters of
the Confederacy
aided by the alumni of
the University
aided by the alumni of
the University
Post removed:
by user
Sapper Redux
JJMt said:

Quote:

"The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are, that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South When "the bottom rail was on top" all over the Southern states, and to-day, as a consequence the purest strain of the Anglo Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern States Praise God.
That language is reminiscent of that of many of the intellectual liberal elites throughout the 19th and first half of the 20th century. It wasn't until the horrors of the holocaust came to light after World War 2 that the so-called "scientific" basis for racial superiority was discarded into the ash bin of history.

It was popular with certain groups. But don't pretend it was a universal belief. Certainly it wasn't universal during Reconstruction or universal amongst African Americans.
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
JJMt said:

Quote:

That language is reminiscent of that of many of the intellectual liberal elites throughout the 19th and first half of the 20th century. It wasn't until the horrors of the holocaust came to light after World War 2 that the so-called "scientific" basis for racial superiority was discarded into the ash bin of history.
why insert "liberal" in there?
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
JJMt said:

Why not? I don't understand why you question my use of that word.

Today's liberal "elites" try to use examples from the past, like this, to make the rest of us appear like moral Neanderthals. In reality, it was the direct ancestors of those today's intellectual elites that provided the intellectual justification and leadership for the very behavior that they decry today.
are you saying that the people who fought to keep slavery and then segregation because it was the "natural order" of things were the "liberal elite"?

that's what i take from that post.
Post removed:
by user
tmaggies
AG
Watson [We are not going to allow that on this particular forum. That is your warning. -Staff]
Sapper Redux

[Do not quote inappropriate posts. -Staff]
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
JJMt said:

No, and I apologize for the confusion. After the Civil War, and up until World War 2, the idea that blacks were genetically inferior to whites and should be removed from the human DNA was an idea common among and widely spread by the western academic and intellectual elites.

The German "Final Solution" was the logical and perhaps inevitable consequence of that thinking, and it also provided the basis for the origins of Planned Parenthood (a government sponsored and organized effort to reduce the number of black babies and other "undesirable" babies).

It wasn't just blacks it was everybody deemed inferior due to genetics. Eugenics played a huge role in this.
"Set in a post-apocalyptic world where Liberals have ruined everything for everyone" -Raptor
bobbranco
AG
He may not have been the keynote speaker.

And yes the part of the speech about whipping was horrible.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/julian-carrs-speech-at-the-declaration-of-silent-sam-an-excerpt.149219/
Liquid Wrench
UNC has settled with the SCV:

https://abc11.com/5722471/?fbclid=IwAR2eQLusGydjeFvUl13TSpTdW0A5zpefre0kp27gUwj1NhmR-UuBWjyFPpA

Quote:

• SCV will forever maintain possession of the monument outside any of the fourteen counties currently containing a UNC System constituent institution;
  • Using non-state funds, the University will fund a charitable trust to be held independently by a non-party trustee in the amount of $2,500,000, the proceeds of which may only be used for certain limited expenses related to the care and preservation of the monument, including potentially a facility to house and display the monument; and

I'm not sure what the part about the 14 counties means.
who?mikejones
AG
Sounds like scv can keep the statue so long as it is not in one of 14 counties where a unc branch resides
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.