Culps Hill info...going on a staff ride.

1,246 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OldArmy71
Fly Army 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm headed to Gettysburg. I am going to talk on Culp's Hill about command and control and a few other functions of command.

Any of you history buffs know anything interesting about Culp's Hill that your average person wouldn't know from a Google search or general reading about the battle/Civil War?
BQ78
AG
Chamberlain gets all the street cred at Gettysburg but what Greene did on Culp's Hill was as amazing and heroic as Chamberlain and he was a 60 something year old dude.

Wesley Culp died attacking the hill named for his family. He grew up in Gettysburg but went south and enlisted with the Stonewall Brigade. His connection to Jack Skelly and Jennie Wade (the only civilian casualty of the battle) is pretty interesting too.
Sapper Redux
I'd check out Harry Pfanz's work on Culp's Hill and Cemetery Ridge before the staff ride. He's as authoritative as they come on the battle.

George Greene is an interesting character. He was an engineer before the war and his defensive works made the position all but impregnable for the Confederates. This was when breastworks were still looked down on.
JABQ04
AG
I wanna go!!!
Fly Army 97
Thanks all!
Cen-Tex
AG
Culp family name was originally Kolb (German) and joined William Penn's colony in Pennsylvania.
OldArmy71
AG
My 4 g first cousin fought at Culp's Hill with the 2nd Maryland Infantry.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.